Register
Email: Password:
Forum » The Var' Equinallin?
  • « previous
  • » next
  • The Var' Equinallin?

ville 14 years ago
    I would say that solving this riddle does not help you in any way. Bear in mind that this was really not a riddle, just a name Quanrian came up with in an interesting way. So what you're solving here is the name - it won't matter while playing Notrium.

Oh and this is just supposed to be for fun. Sinze big Z asked about five years ago, it's become some sort of an inside joke to know this one. If the solution driving anyone mad, please demand the answer from someone in private. I wouldn't want to have a lawsuit on my hands.
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    I don't understand that blending thing. By the way, all in all I can see only one hint here. ONE. Not so much, don't you think. That hint is about a word but a collection of.
    If you do know what that hint means, then why don't you understand the blending?
    Right under your nose - that made me LOL. Most of the riddles have the answer right under your nose. Again, not a hint.
    Actually, no. Make what you just said your own personal hint.
    "ville" said:
    If the solution driving anyone mad, please demand the answer from someone in private. I wouldn't want to have a lawsuit on my hands.
    I'm not spoiling this to anyone, including privately. If I am to help someone solve a riddle, I'd rather give some tiny hints.
    #
    D0M0 14 years ago
    You can't look only for things that will give you something "valuable" in-game. Can't you just rejoice in a fact that you solved a riddle?
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    Not much. One's got to be realistic.
    What about blending - do you mean mixing letters? I don't know if it's called so in English, I'm sorry.
    #
    Anonymous1157 14 years ago
    "Venom31" said:
    What about blending - do you mean mixing letters? I don't know if it's called so in English, I'm sorry.
    You're getting close. Quite.
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    If you mean shuffling that dang letters to get other word(s), I thought about it the first time I got that it's kinda riddle. But I can't imagine any valid word with apostrophe (') in it. Well, except those er-r-r Sandee's, gentlemens' etc. Anyway, it needs 's' letter, "The Var' Equinallin" has no 's' in it.
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    "Venom31" said:
    If you mean shuffling that dang letters to get other word(s), I thought about it the first time I got that it's kinda riddle. But I can't imagine any valid word with apostrophe (') in it. Well, except those er-r-r Sandee's, gentlemens' etc. Anyway, it needs 's' letter, "The Var' Equinallin" has no 's' in it.
    Forget articles and apostrophes! Focus on what matters!
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    "Venom31" said:
    Whenever you do an anagram, assume the current punctuation is not the same as the original word's (or words') punctuation. That includes apostrophes and spaces (and even capitalization, when you get down to it).
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    Oh! Thanks! Is 'the' in there too?
    P.S. Having it not a material bonus allows me to solve it even playing Werivar. That's great.
    P.P.S. I was troubled about that because of its increased difficulty (IMHO).
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    "Venom31" said:
    Oh! Thanks! Is 'the' in there too?
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    Forget articles and apostrophes! Focus on what matters!
    #
    "Venom31" said:
    If you mean shuffling that dang letters to get other word(s)...
    *Passes out*
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    Now seriously, stop giving it away.
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    I'm already rather annoyed by such "stop giving away" comments. The person who didn't solve it won't say "eureka!" just because of that... Although the man who says "stop giving away" thinks that was a great hint. Duh. Stop saying that. Please.
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    "Venom31" said:
    I'm already rather annoyed by such "stop giving away" comments. The person who didn't solve it won't say "eureka!" just because of that... Although the man who says "stop giving away" thinks that was a great hint. Duh. Stop saying that. Please.
    If I was molesting you that much, I apologize. It's just that we already have enough hints as it is.
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    Eh. I suck at riddles and still made it. And I'm not a native english speaker, either.

And that was long before the a rag man / argaman hints.
    #
    "Venom31" said:
    Nonono, you LITERALLY just said how to find the answer and you don't even realize it.

LITERALLY.

*Passes back out*
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    ... What?
    #
    ... Well, alright, he didn't JUST say it, as in in the quoted post-- Bah, he'll know what I meant.
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    Yeah, but neither myself or someone I know will do that by hand. Too long and uncomforting. Even though you say that with those hints, one shall know that answer is correct as soon as one gets to it. I don't have time to suffer such nuissances . I'll have to give it a try in a month or so... or maybe not.
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    The answer is so awesome / obvious you'll know it's right when you find it out. And slap yourself for not finding out earlier :3
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    You seem to misunderstand me. I've played Notrium quite a while back, several years that would be already. I didn't even pay much attention at those journal entries... But those few weeks back I noticed that Var' Equinallin note. I just went here. And what do we see? A whole thread >20 pages about a riddle "Why the Var' Equinallin?". Since I was curious I read it through, but didn't come 1 bit closer to understanding it. So, NOW: "Var' Equinallin" has 13 letters not mentioning ' and space. That's some 6,227,020,800 permutations. Quite a number. Do you see what I'm talking about?
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    "Venom31" said:
    You seem to misunderstand me. I've played Notrium quite a while back, several years that would be already. I didn't even pay much attention at those journal entries... But those few weeks back I noticed that Var' Equinallin note. I just went here. And what do we see? A whole thread >20 pages about a riddle "Why the Var' Equinallin?". Since I was curious I read it through, but didn't come 1 bit closer to understanding it. So, NOW: "Var' Equinallin" has 13 letters not mentioning ' and space. That's some 6,227,020,800 permutations. Quite a number. Do you see what I'm talking about?
    1. I have also played this game since version 1.2, but that doesn't affect the facility of solving this, you're right about that.
    2. But if you don't have a single clue even after reading the whole thread, then you're either not trying hard enough or just going the wrong way. We cannot help you more than this.
    3. You are not a computer. We, as humans, possess this perk called "intelligence". With it, you won't have to check every single permutation, like a computer would do.

Are you trying to find an excuse to not being able to solve this "non-riddle"? Wouldn't you rather keep looking for the answer?
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    I haven't even started looking yet. And I doubt if I have that "intelligence" perk. So I WILL have to check them all, like a computer would do. Although, I don't need to do it by hand, right? I'd better make computer do it for me .
    1. ok
    2. I can't figure out what these have to do with captain's ship's name. So they have no meaning to me.
    3. Intelligence consists of knowledge database, wits for using it and one may say, way to get experience which updates the knowledge database eventually. Anyways, it all starts with knowledge gained over experience and blah-blah-blah... what I wanted to say I don't have enough experience solving riddles like that and not so great knowledge of English to guess it right away.
    That's it. Whew
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    It has nothing to do with the game itself.
    It's not a joke only longer-time members can understand.
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    What do you mean by "It has nothing to do with the game itself"? Isn't it not that meaning that cap'n thought of when he named his ship?
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    This is heading nowhere.
    I haven't even started looking yet. And I doubt if I have that "intelligence" perk. So I WILL have to check them all, like a computer would do. Although, I don't need to do it by hand, right? I'd better make computer do it for me.
    Negatory. (unless you have some sort of mental deficiency, which I presume not) And yes, you can use notepad if that makes your life easier. But letting a computer do the whole work won't do the job.
    And I agree with Narvius.
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    One last tip, you don't have to know English to understand the solution.
    #
    D0M0 14 years ago
    Wel, Ville, that kind of narrows it down, and if i may add, if you actually read everything, and i mean every single post on this thread, i'm sorry to say, you read the anwser multiple times
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    It's true that there are many posts with a partial answer. Anyways, let it be the last of the last. Keep your mind going and you will succeed.
    #
    I still swear he himself said the most direct partial answer there has ever been and doesn't even realize it.
    #
    Dorten 14 years ago
    I think, that I got it! PMed to Anonymous1157...
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    OOps, my modem died! I was stripped off the net for 5 days or what. However, this helped me research the matter and... And I got many stupid phrases that make no sense. I don't know which one of them may be the answer. Perhaps I am missing some words, dunno... A 235000 English words vocabulary should really be most full. I think so
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    "Venom31" said:
    OOps, my modem died! I was stripped off the net for 5 days or what. However, this helped me research the matter and... And I got many stupid phrases that make no sense. I don't know which one of them may be the answer. Perhaps I am missing some words, dunno... A 235000 English words vocabulary should really be most full. I think so
    The answer is not something that you find in a dictionary.
    #
    Dorten 14 years ago
    Yay! I know the answer!!!

Now, if anyone would be so nice as to explain the banana tip, cause I still don't get it...

And also: captain says, that this name means something to him. I think he lies.
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    The answer is not something that you find in a dictionary.
    Great. Now I don't get A THING.
    How can I know it then? Is it some name that can't be in a dictionary? Doh
    #
    Forum » The Var' Equinallin?
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: