Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Amateur Game Making Comp.
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Amateur Game Making Comp.

void 19 years ago
    This thread is to see if there are enough people wanting to enter and to tell you the rules.

Don't feel like you don't have a chance because we're all new to making games and it is likely that there will be some tic tac toe games. This competition is really just to get some motivation to create a game. Personally I've never made a real game before and I still have no idea how I'm going to do it (so don't feel like you can't do it).

The contest will be for about 6 months (close date: 11th April 2005)

RULES:

1. The game can be made using any programming language or game making software you choose.

2. You must let the judge know how you made the game and what if any 3rd party help you had ( i.e. Grim 2d engine, A friend who is really good at graphics, ect.)

3. You must be willing to show your source code if the judge asks (to prevent people from using someone elses game and putting their name on it).

To enter just do like I've done below. (You can change these at anytime during the competition)

Name: void

Programming language: C++

Game making software: N/A

Name of game: Hard to tell at this point

Other: It will most likely be a 2d/3d space sim

I'm scared too.
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    i would probably enter, yet not till after i have finished my exams (couple of weeks) so I wont know what game till then
    #
    Zombie 19 years ago
    I'll enter when I can friggin' program!

Heh.
    #
    void 19 years ago
    I'll enter when I can friggin' program!

That's the point of this comp Zombie, learn by doing. If you don't think you can you do it in C++ just use some game making software or use VB or something. I've never programmed with directx so I'll have to learn by doing. (there is also lots about C++ I don't know about)

i would probably enter, yet not till after i have finished my exams (couple of weeks) so I wont know what game till then

You rock! Just give it some thought and when you know a bit more post what you think you'll do.
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    I'm going to enter once i got my new pc and manage to install development stuff on it, taking into account that i'll want to play around with it (play new games, toy around with linux, create my COMPUTER OF DOOM MUAHAHAHAHA) it might take me a couple of months before i'll even start programming. And then I'll still have to learn most of it .
    I'll try an attempt on OpenGL, if I ever manage to get started into that. Otherwise, I hope to make a Java applet, perhaps multiplayer if I can figure that out... Not much more to say, I don't have any idea about what sort of game...

-Amarth
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    i only know vb, but i might give c++ a shot, all depends how i feel
    #
    void 19 years ago
    i only know vb, but i might give c++ a shot, all depends how i feel

*cough* You rule! *cough* ( ! <--- sort of defeats the point of having *cough* doesn't it.)

"Amarth" said:
    it might take me a couple of months before i'll even start programming. And then I'll still have to learn most of it

Not the best news but still good that your willing to have a shot.

come one people this is about more then making games it's about proving Ville wrong:

"ville" said:
    While I think a game making competition would be a fine thing, we would probably only get one or two competitors. There are plenty of competitions around already.

Damn (can I say that here? It's not a bad word in Aus but I'm not sure about everywhere else) ville and his foreknowledge!
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    Yeah, prove me wrong. I dare ya!
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    theres 3 YESS!!!!11!!oneone!!'s and one Yes so thats 4 ppl, two more than ville predicted. Wheter they follow through is a whole other story.
    #
    LunaticNeko 19 years ago
    Programmer's Checklist (saw off somewhere)

You get 100p.

Can you program C++:No (-10 score)
    Can you use .NET framework smoothly?:No (-40 score)
    Can you draw or do computer graphx?:No (-5)
    45p left.

Are you rich enough to open commercial site?:No (-20)
    Are you a HUMAN AT ALL?:No. I'm terminal. (- infinite)

Result: No chance, completely.
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    Oh dear i need to calculate my score... won't be far above 25 or something when i see your questions(at least i think i'm human)... can you give me the site? I tried googling but didn't find it at first glance.

Btw i just realized... when i could only start coding in a few months... this means that would be in the middle of my exams... so perhaps i'll only be able to code from the end of january onwards! Darn.
    OTOH i'll have plenty of time to think about it then, and perhaps i'll know enough of OOP to do something with java. That would be cool

-Amarth
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    Sorry if this is considered double-posting but I want a seperate reply for this one

name: Vincent "Amarth" Verhoeven
    programming language: Java->applet
    external resources: none if possible , perhaps for grafx
    name of game: dunno... something with 'dice' or 'yahtzee' and 'multi' or '2' or whatever... or something completely different . not important just now...
    description: I'll try to make a 2-player Yahtzee game(you know, with the dice and everything), both players will have the same rolls(wherever possible), so it'll be based mostly on skill and a bit on luck. I'm just in concept phase for now, and i'll still need to learn a lot (GUI layout, internet connection, ...) so it might take me a while, but that's the same for everyone i think.

Go ahead, give comments . It might look a bit simple perhaps, but I know I'm not able to write a Real Big Game just yet... it'll be hard enough I think. I'm just trying to not get demotivated from the start

-Amarth
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    description: I'll try to make a 2-player Yahtzee game(you know, with the dice and everything), both players will have the same rolls(wherever possible), so it'll be based mostly on skill and a bit on luck. I'm just in concept phase for now, and i'll still need to learn a lot (GUI layout, internet connection, ...) so it might take me a while, but that's the same for everyone i think.

You could probably pull that off. The thing about simple games is that people aren't all that willing to play it, so you can't expect a huge success from a Yathzee remake.

What fuels my gamemaking is the continued feedback from people, the knowledge that there are people out there playing the game. That's why I've never made a simple game, I've always aimed for a very good one.

So if you're not looking for a huge audience for your game, and you're only doing it to learn programming, it's a good plan. On the other hand, if you are looking for quick success and entry into the gamemaking hallf of fame, aim higher.
    #
    apeisa 19 years ago
    I'm learning java at the university right now, and if I remember right then after the course we have to make some kind of program on our own. Of course I try to make somekind of game. Still learning the basics and I'm quite a busy with all my web-projects (personal pages, rockmusica.net + one still secret).

So, nothing very special coming from here. If I get anything ready (of course I want to get course succeed...) then I let you guys know.
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    I agree ville, one of the big motivations for game making is knowing that people are intereseted and wat to play the game. But you must admit, you would have had to of started with small games with no audience when you began programming. (If you don't admit, I won't beleive you :p)
    #
    void 19 years ago
    Because this is a game comp I think that some of the members might want to look at the entrants even if they are simple games(I know I would).

That's why I've never made a simple game, I've always aimed for a very good one.

That's why we love you and we hate you. - A Night at the Roxberry

Go ahead, give comments . It might look a bit simple perhaps, but I know I'm not able to write a Real Big Game just yet... it'll be hard enough I think. I'm just trying to not get demotivated from the start

Simple or not it's still progress and another competitor . To keep you motivated I'll promise not to practice voodoo on you while your learning/making the game.

Yeah, prove me wrong. I dare ya!

Getting a little nervous?
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    Of course, everyone is interested in making a Game of the Ages that will be played by everyone on the internet... But I just cannot do that yet . I've chosen Java cause we get it at university, so it's sort of practice . I'll try to do it as class-based as possible, as few ugly hacks as possible, and that would be the very first time . Thus i'll be learning usefull things i guess... Wich might, perhaps, later, turn out to be useful to CONQUER THE WORLD *oops* I mean to write a real good game.
    Perhaps, if it turns out to be too easy, I'll make another game... I just cannot say that now. And I think it's more important to complete one stupid game then to start 100 great games but don't get them working fine... (In Dutch you could say 'beter 1 vogel in de hand dan 10 in de lucht' but proverbs aren't my strong point in English)

Now don't spam this thread because I said the words 'conquer' and 'world' close to each other...

-Amarth
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    "Doogsy" said:
    I agree ville, one of the big motivations for game making is knowing that people are intereseted and wat to play the game. But you must admit, you would have had to of started with small games with no audience when you began programming. (If you don't admit, I won't beleive you :p)

Won't admit it. Although The Forge was my third game, the first two were not bad either, just that they were only released in Finland. No programming before that. My point is, you don't really have to know about programming when making games. It's mostly about persitence, and having a lot of free afternoons.

Plus I'd have to mention that there are a lot of good gamemaking programs available, you can get a good start with those without ever needing to know about programming.
    #
    void 19 years ago
    Here are some links for those of you who don't think you can make a game:

http://www.blender3d.com/ Free 3d graphics package

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html Free C++ compiler

http://www.cppreference.com/ C++ reference (you get the idea)

http://www.cplusplus.com/ Tutorials, source code, and stuff like that.....

http://www.ambrosine.com/resource.html links to all kinds of game making apps and tools

http://www.gamemaker.nl/index.html "Free" game making software (no programming needed!)

http://www.gamedev.net/ book reviews and everything else game realated

http://www.gdse.com/servlet/gdse.main similar to game dev

http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/ web programing and so so so much more

http://www.wings3d.com/ Ville uses it!

Learn or I won't be your friend
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    If you are looking for free ebooks releated to programing and computers, here is a ftp server with MANY of them:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ftp.cdut.edu.cn/pub3/uncate_doc/">http://ftp.cdut.edu.cn/pub3/uncate_doc/</a><!-- m -->
    #
    muffinman 19 years ago
    Anyway, I might join after I learn html and the basic of c++.
    #
    HarmlessHermit 19 years ago
    why html?
    #
    muffinman 19 years ago
    For my website.
    #
    Click 19 years ago
    *Mutters under breath* I told you to join the forum, I told you to learn HTML, I gave you the C++ tutorial website...YOU SHOULD GIVE ME YOUR ALLIGENCE...
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    Click, offtopic.
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    "ville" said:

Won't admit it. Although The Forge was my third game, the first two were not bad either, just that they were only released in Finland. No programming before that. My point is, you don't really have to know about programming when making games. It's mostly about persitence, and having a lot of free afternoons.

What about programs/games that you didnt release? Your telling me you never made a number guesser?
    #
    LunaticNeko 19 years ago
    I'm not interested in C++, currently. None C++ Programming in my study list

They were replaced with Pascal, I'm surprised when I got into class, 6 people.

Back on.

I don't feel well today. I can't program anything with those dog-poop stuff in my head!

I'll enter when I'm ready.

I think I know of a proggie called RPGMaker. It requires some logic skills though. But it's so simple. Unfortunately I can't remember its site.

PS.Click, what's happening down there? You nearly destroyed my porcelain throne yesterday! I must pee outside! GRRRR!!!!

I have many illegal E-Books!
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    yea, you can make some really quality rpgs with that. quite a good tool. its called rpgmaker 2000 i think. google will find it.
    #
    void 19 years ago
    hmmmmmm..........

"RPGMaker 2000 was programmed by the japanese company, Enterbrain. The program was then (illegally) translated by one named Don Miguel. The program is NOT available for download at Gaming World and we will not tell you where to get it but it is widely available on many other sites. "
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    "Doogsy" said:
    What about programs/games that you didnt release? Your telling me you never made a number guesser?

Nothing before that. I thought it was a waste of time to practice on programs that would never be used. But you can believe me I had a hard time making the first game, learning to program and all. After that it's been much easier. If you already know about variables, tables and functions, that's all you need to make a game.
    #
    Click 19 years ago
    "Thaimodz" said:

PS.Click, what's happening down there? You nearly destroyed my porcelain throne yesterday! I must pee outside! GRRRR!!!!

Huh?
    #
    muffinman 19 years ago
    "Click" said:
    *Mutters under breath* I told you to join the forum, I told you to learn HTML, I gave you the C++ tutorial website...YOU SHOULD GIVE ME YOUR ALLIGENCE...

I get it Click, and I am learning it right now.
    #
    If I can't learn a decent amount of C++ in time I'll have to use GameMaker. Somehow I think of that as kinda sorta cheating as you don't need any coding knowledge to make a game with it.
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    this is a game making comp, not a programming comp
    #
    yeah but everyone else seems like their going through a lot of trouble to learn this and I could just whip up a playable game in a few minutes . Just doesn't seem very sporting is all.
    #
    Forum » Amateur Game Making Comp.
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: