Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Amateur Game Making Comp.
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Amateur Game Making Comp.

Amarth 19 years ago
    I'm still coding my framework, I haven't had much time and I had to learn a damn lot . When the textures finally would like to do what they are supposed to do I can start coding game mechanics, and perhaps finally see some result .

I also have a TI-83, and indeed it's not very much for games . I programmed a slow-as-hell snake-like on it, and a minesweeper i actually liked playing myself... But it was pretty ugly and, yeah, really slow . But it was one of my best coding projects, and had some cool pieces of code in it. Too bad I lost it . Damn those teachers who like to erase the memory before an exam...

-Amarth
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    I'm still coding my framework, I haven't had much time and I had to learn a damn lot . When the textures finally would like to do what they are supposed to do I can start coding game mechanics, and perhaps finally see some result .

I also have a TI-83, and indeed it's not very much for games . I programmed a slow-as-hell snake-like on it, and a minesweeper i actually liked playing myself... But it was pretty ugly and, yeah, really slow . But it was one of my best coding projects, and had some cool pieces of code in it. Too bad I lost it . Damn those teachers who like to erase the memory before an exam...

-Amarth
    I said TI-83+, not TI-83. They are very different. Actually, it's a TI-83+ SE, but that just means faster processor and more memory.

Here's one thing I need to know.

I also have a TI-92+. The 92+ has far increased programming capabilities (I have a flight-sim for it with 4-color grayscale and 3-D models), but very few people have them. So should I make the game for the TI-83+/SE, or for the TI-92+?
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Do it for the TI-83+, since thats what I have
    If you decide for the 92, I guess people could try it with one of those neat emulators.

Are you going to do it on basic or assembly? If you are using basic I could help you a bit.
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "Casanova" said:
    Do it for the TI-83+, since thats what I have
    If you decide for the 92, I guess people could try it with one of those neat emulators.

Are you going to do it on basic or assembly? If you are using basic I could help you a bit.
    I haven't found an emulator that can run the TI-92+ yet, but if someone does find it, post it here.

I was planning on basic with assembly utilities.
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    Just had to post this...
    OpenGL textures are *finally* working! It involved strange class and dll errors (check gamedev forums if you really want to know, search for posts by Amarth in 'alternatvie libraries' and 'for beginners' sections), and me solving these problems in ways I don't like .
    Then it involved searching the Red Book and rereading almost everything about modelview and projection matrices, blending and texturing.
    But, now it works, and even better, I know how it works.
    Now I'll start on user input... Slowly, but steadily, it's going forward .

-Amarth
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    Okay, I'm wondering.

Who here thinks that my game should use a system similar to my Role-Playing thread (current rules, not original)? Because it would be so much simpler just to use an already created system then to invent a whole new one...
    #
    void 19 years ago
    It will take alot of code to do all that, can the T-83= or whatever handle it?

Maybe you should use Visual Basic or a game making app to do it? You could probably learn enough to make a working game but the close date of April 11.
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "void" said:
    It will take alot of code to do all that, can the T-83= or whatever handle it?
    Of course it can. Didn't you read my TI-83+ resume?

"void" said:
    Maybe you should use Visual Basic or a game making app to do it? You could probably learn enough to make a working game but the close date of April 11.
    Visual Basic - Maybe
    gamemaker, clickteam, any other game-making app - DISGUSTING!

I pride myself on being able to actually code, not just use pre-made/super-easy-to-use templates.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    If I simply finish Quibbles, my old game I never finished, would that be able to be counted or would I need to make something from scratch ? I'm not even sure I'd have time to make a new game from scratch since I'll be working on the Expansion soon and will be for some time to come. I'm interested, but I'd like to know if I can just finish Quibbles and enter that as an entry because I don't think I will have time to make a full blown game from scratch. I did do Quibbles entirely myself however, if that helps at all
    #
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    If I simply finish Quibbles, my old game I never finished, would that be able to be counted or would I need to make something from scratch ? I'm not even sure I'd have time to make a new game from scratch since I'll be working on the Expansion soon and will be for some time to come. I'm interested, but I'd like to know if I can just finish Quibbles and enter that as an entry because I don't think I will have time to make a full blown game from scratch. I did do Quibbles entirely myself however, if that helps at all
    That would be a little bit unfair I think because you had more time to work at Quibbles but I don't mind if you enter because this comp. should just make the members try to code a game or am I wrong?
    I like Quibbles it'll win if there isn't a better game like mine
    #
    Grim Reaper 19 years ago
    What would you think of a Soldatish/Notriumish/Septerra Core:ish game?

For those who don't know what is Septerra core, just google for it, okay?
    #
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:

i think that's a little bit too many genre mixes
    but maybe you can make it well so it's playable
    #
    void 19 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:

How long did you spend making Quibbles? This comp will have gone for 6 months so if you created it in around 6 months I see no problem with you entering, I've always wanted to play Quibbles but I could never find it .
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    has anyone got to the stage where they can post a forum topic about their game, maybe with a summary of what its about, and some concept art?
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    "Doogsy" said:
    has anyone got to the stage where they can post a forum topic about their game, maybe with a summary of what its about, and some concept art?

No, but it shouldn't take me more than a couple of weeks to get there.
    Currently, my game consists of 2 textured 2D-rectangles moving a bit on the screen, with blending. Not much, i know. I'm now doing the input, and after that, I'll start adding game elements, and hope to get some screenshots then.
    Something else, I don't think I'll include multiplayer. I'll try to add it later on, after I see my game actually would be fun to play multi. I don't know a thing about internet/lan connections, so I'll have to learn a lot about that, and I don't see me doing it before the competition ends. Also, I don't want to open-source a multiplayer game. It makes cheating way to easy. So I'll first make the singleplayer, release it open-source, then completely convert it to multiplayer, and release that as freeware.

-Amarth
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    A word of advice, don't even think of making a single player, then making it a multiplayer over a network. The whole game architecture needs to be done with multiplayer in mind in the first place. Doing multiplayer on a single computer isn't all that difficult, so you might consider that instead.
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    I know... And I'll be ready to re-write everything. But I'm now half-trying to keep it a bit structured for possible multiplayer integration. The problem is that, when I'd like to incorporate multi from the start, I just don't see how to start . So I want to have it running... I will have to see afterwards whether it's even worth it to make multiplayer... I just don't see me capable of making multiplayer games as of now.

-Amarth
    #
    Grim Reaper 19 years ago
    "NeoGangster" said:
    "Grim Reaper" said:

i think that's a little bit too many genre mixes
    but maybe you can make it well so it's playable

Maybe I should elaborate this a bit...

Septerra Core part:
    - The game world

Soldat part:
    - view
    - movement method
    - interface

Notrium part:
    - inventory
    - interface
    - some basic ideas

And I apologise Ville for possible "rip-offs" this game might have... But still, it's the best I've got...
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "void" said:
    "Quanrian" said:

How long did you spend making Quibbles? This comp will have gone for 6 months so if you created it in around 6 months I see no problem with you entering, I've always wanted to play Quibbles but I could never find it .

I spent well over 6 months developing Quibbles actually, that would include some downtime, but that always gets counted anyways I never intended to spend that much time on it, but as some will find out, even the simplest idea can drag out for months on end. However if I entered Quibbles I would more than like finish it up, which would mean 2 more levels, more weapons and probably more functionality on a whole. I'd also possibly redo all the graphics since they were done very simplistically back than. Alot of people scoff at those who use game makers, but I never used any templates to make Quibbles, I built it entirely from scratch and even with bre-built scripts that is very time consuming. I could easily spend 6 months just expanding/polishing Quibbles

::edit::

Ok so I moved the Quibbles thread to this one, it really should of been in a section like this all along anyways. On the last page you'll find a link to the last version I put out. There might even be a slight surprise for those who check it out, but I can't really say
    #
    void 19 years ago
    I just played quibbles and it was alot more fun then I was expecting, at first I thought it would be easy but in a minute the entire screen was filled with quibbles after my blood. It would be a shame if you didn't do some more development on the game.

I think you should be allowed to enter, I can think of quite a few reasons to support you entering but I can't really be bothered explaining myself . So unless anyone else has an objection....... Quibbles is in. I don't suspect anyone will object the main entrants Amarth and NeoGangster will probably welcome the compitition. I've had a play around with NeoGangsters and it looks like it could hold it's own side by side with Quibbles, April 11th will be an interesting time.

"Quanrian" said:
    Alot of people scoff at those who use game makers, but I never used any templates to make Quibbles, I built it entirely from scratch and even with bre-built scripts that is very time consuming. I could easily spend 6 months just expanding/polishing Quibbles

If you can make games like Quibbles using a game maker more power to you. Ville probably said it best when he said that programming languages are just tools the end result is whats important (something like that anyway).
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Ok so I moved the Quibbles thread to this one, it really should of been in a section like this all along anyways. On the last page you'll find a link to the last version I put out. There might even be a slight surprise for those who check it out, but I can't really say
    Hehe, I like the little suprise.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    Alright, well I don't expect to win, but I appreciate the vote of confidence that I might Quibbles are deceptively aggressive because of their strange AI, Ville never really cared for it lol, but it worked very well for the type of game it was. Perhaps with updated graphics and some ironed out gameplay it will have a better shot. I wish everyone luck and I'm sure we'll see a few good games come out of this in the end
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    In my opinion you should definitely finish the game Quanrian. I'm sure we can give you a few pointers if you need any.
    #
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    "void" said:
    I've had a play around with NeoGangsters and it looks like it could hold it's own side by side with Quibbles, April 11th will be an interesting time.

So we have another contestant.
    I'm can't wait till the end of the contest although I'm not ready with my game lol
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "ville" said:
    In my opinion you should definitely finish the game Quanrian. I'm sure we can give you a few pointers if you need any.

I'll just have to see how everything pans out time wise with all the other projects I got planned. I certainly would like to check out Neo's game though, sounds very promising, maybe the next freeware hit ?
    #
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    "ville" said:

I'll just have to see how everything pans out time wise with all the other projects I got planned. I certainly would like to check out Neo's game though, sounds very promising, maybe the next freeware hit ?
    lol freeware hit
    I don't think it's that good
    it makes fun but I don't really think it is that good
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    Start small, think big. If you make a huge hit of your first game, I'll hire you instantly.
    #
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    "ville" said:
    Start small, think big. If you make a huge hit of your first game, I'll hire you instantly.
    lol
    the ville company is searching members join now xD
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "NeoGangster" said:
    "ville" said:
    lol
    the ville company is searching members join now xD
    WHAT?!? Ville corp is hiring? I must find their headquarters...
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    I believe he was making an exaggerated gesture to signify how unlikely it is that someone's first game is a break out hit It's fairly true though, the games that people claim were the first in a genre usually turn out to not be so. Like many people who never owned a PC think Resident Evil created the Survival Horror genre, when in fact Alone in the Dark did. So in other words a good formula for success is to see what works and build off it, because very few have the vision to create something truely original and good at the same time Game design is alot more saturated than it used to be as well, so since alot more has been done, it's alot more difficult to be original.
    #
    eug1404 19 years ago
    Well Void's gone now, so who's going to take over the comp?
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "eug1404" said:
    Well Void's gone now, so eho's going to take over the comp?
    Somebody that has access to all consoles that games are being developed for and does not yet have a game made/in production.
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    OK... Here it comes:
    I'm not very sure I will be able to finish the game for the competition . I truly have got no time left at all. Life is catching up with me, I bet. The next two weeks, I won't have a second left. After that, perhaps, I'll have a bit more time, but really don't much. And the game itself is in the same state is was in, err, 3 weeks ago or so . This is getting really bad. I'm losing a bit of interest in the game...
    For now, I'm not quitting. Just telling you I might, perhaps, quit. I hope not. It will depend of the amount of time I'll have, and whether I can simply start coding again. Perhaps I'll regain interest, I don't know. I hope so.
    Well... I'll update you in about three weeks, when the busiest period is over . Strange that the busy period seems to come AFTER the exams...

-Amarth
    #
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    OK... Here it comes:
    I'm not very sure I will be able to finish the game for the competition . I truly have got no time left at all. Life is catching up with me, I bet. The next two weeks, I won't have a second left. After that, perhaps, I'll have a bit more time, but really don't much. And the game itself is in the same state is was in, err, 3 weeks ago or so . This is getting really bad. I'm losing a bit of interest in the game...
    For now, I'm not quitting. Just telling you I might, perhaps, quit. I hope not. It will depend of the amount of time I'll have, and whether I can simply start coding again. Perhaps I'll regain interest, I don't know. I hope so.
    Well... I'll update you in about three weeks, when the busiest period is over . Strange that the busy period seems to come AFTER the exams...

-Amarth
    Try to get your game playable so you can give it some of your friends(we aren't your friends ) so they will push you to continue
    I just hope i won't be the only competitor in the end cause that would be an easy competition O_o
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    You may well turn out to be the only competitor
    #
    Forum » Amateur Game Making Comp.
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: