Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Amateur Game Making Comp.
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Amateur Game Making Comp.

Doogsy 19 years ago
    if the game is of high quality there is nothing wrong with it. Some very good games have been created with game makers. Jumper and jumper 2 springs to my mind straight away. If you could create a game of that standard with a gae maker, then yes, you would have a big chance of winning.
    #
    Zombie 19 years ago
    I have a plan for a fairly simple yet possibly fun and addictive strategy-type game...

I may call it <PIXEL>, and yes... The <>s are part of the name...

Partially
    Intelligent
    Xenomorphic
    Energy
    Lifeforms

See? <PIXEL>! I thought it up while contemplating what to draw on one of those sciency sheets of graphing paper... You know, the kind with the REALLY LITTLE squares? Yeah...

The game story might go like this:

"You are a bored person. Very very bored. So, what do you decide to do? You start counting the hundreds of tiny dots on your computer screen... Each and every one....

A few hours later, you fall asleep while on your 10769th dot... While doing so, you manage to imbed your skull deep into your monitor... Well! It turns out, you happen to have gone into a coma... Oh dear!

All is well though... You don't realize this! You started daydreaming around the 7th or 8th dot, and you are now experiencing what you think is some sort of crazy dream...

You find yourself in seventh-grade computer class, you remember the little dots are called pixels... Everything gets wavily all of a sudden, and you find yourself in a large black area...

All of a sudden... BAM! A large greenish block whacks you over the head... You shake your fist at the silly thing and almost have a heart attack when the block says, "Sorry! My fault!"

In what feels like around 15 minutes, these strange blocky creatures have christened you their leader... Then you see your enemy... The other blocky things...

Well... It looks like crazy-coma-dream-pixel-war time!"

Pixel-based strategy game...

What it lacks in graphics, it will make up for in gameplay...

And it should run smoothly on most systems with low requirements!

Of course, I might have the knowledge to do it by the 2nd or 3rd annual game contest...

[TO VOID]
    So what do you say Void? Once I get my web site up, I would be more than happy to have an "Indie Game Making Competition" section...

We could hold a competition every year... Eventually it would get bigger and better, etc. etc.

Drop me an e-mail with what ya think Void...
    [/TO]
    #
    Mangler 19 years ago
    I used to be a regular here, but then I stoped posting or something... and dissapeared.

Any how, My concept that I'm throwing around in my head is this:

(its long)

Take NetHack or any other Rogelike mix 1 Part Starfleet battles, 1 Part Star Control, 1 Part Elite.

So what you wind up with is a Trading RPG with Turn-Baised combat, a complex and alterable gameworld with infinite replay capabilites (universe generation), and a customizable ship too (and crew).

Sounds ambitious, yes. The "core" of the combat engine is what I will create first as its mostly self contained and I would think still fun by itself.

Implementaion will be in Java; FULL OO style classes, XML game data (cuz I'm gonna bolt a XML serializer right into the framework).
    Some manner of 2D sprites for ships (however these will be later as I can't draw so I'll have to find some GFX that look 'right').
    No sound, no 3D, no...ect...
    besides there IS no sound in space.

Also the engine and interface will be 'split' to allow easy online multiplayer IF I ever get around to it.

So far however there is no code; only some notes on the class struture and some ideas about how they fit together.

As far as I know, there is no game exactly like this in known existance. (except star control abit, or elite but they BOTH had real time combat, this has SFB style complex combat)

Combat will be EXTREMELY complex and allow for truly devilsh tactics. Pricision control over your ships equipment and armarments.
    fairly detailed navigation, but no real physics or anything (because I don't know any and It would be hard to do in TB).

Say in combat if your weapons are disabled; and your opponents shields are down you could say transport his life support system out of his ship...

Also it solves very nicely the 'loot' dilema in many RPG's.
    If you blow up the ship you were trying to rob you don't get the goodies they had. So being extra careful in Combat may pay off.

In fact a sneaky merchant could drop some Stealth mines out when a pirate demands cargo... and instead gets a unpleasant surprise.

A thinking mans TB Space trader type game.

P.S. I like the new forums
    #
    Zombie 19 years ago
    Throw in graphics and you've got a game!

I'd play it!

But make sure to pop in a bit of a strategic element on planets too...

I'm the kinda guy that likes games that have places for expansion...

Make sure to make a planet system, and later on you could add in something like colonies, planetary wars, etc., etc., etc.

[EDIT]
    Hey! Could someone tell me where I could find a PDF file series or something that is a free guide on C++? Like, learning stuff?

I'm seriously thinking of putting a bunch of books on my christmas list, as I plan to at least have the above game <PIXEL> in the works (C++) by the near-end of my Senior year... If I can churn that game out, and it's a good game and people like the dumbed-down demo I put out first, then I might just release a version that people BUY! It'd be nice to have a fanbase by then...

Hopefully by then I'd also at least be in graphics design class...
    [/EDIT]
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    Damn I just noticed something very ugly about Java Applets... The can only read/write on the host they came from, and they can only make a connection with a program running on the host. I highly doubt I'll find a host for free letting me run a java program on his server . So this means I'll have to set up my own pc as webserver AND gameserver, this means not having any bandwith/cpu-power on excess . So I'll strictly limit playing times to certain periods I don't need 100% CPU or internet... Sorry if this doesn't appeal to you but I don't necessarily need to win this competition .
    When all of this doesn't make sense to you, forget about it, you'll perhaps see when i manage to complete te game (if i manage...)

-Amarth
    #
    void 19 years ago
    If I can't learn a decent amount of C++ in time I'll have to use GameMaker. Somehow I think of that as kinda sorta cheating as you don't need any coding knowledge to make a game with it.

It might be easier to use GameMaker but it will be harder to make a good looking game. The people using C++ may take longer to make the game and find it harder but they'll have alot more control. It will all balance out.

"Zombie" said:
    So what do you say Void? Once I get my web site up, I would be more than happy to have an "Indie Game Making Competition" section...

We could hold a competition every year... Eventually it would get bigger and better, etc. etc.

Drop me an e-mail with what ya think Void...

Hey! Could someone tell me where I could find a PDF file series or something that is a free guide on C++? Like, learning stuff?

I'll just respond here......... ........

I think it would be great idea but you'll certainly need a forum first. When do you think you'll get your website online?

Go to the Learning C++ topic and there wil be some links.

Damn I just noticed something very ugly about Java Applets... The can only read/write on the host they came from, and they can only make a connection with a program running on the host.

Can't you just make it downloadable in a zip format or something? How will you upload it to the host if it can't be downloaded by other people? It doesn't make sense..
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    Damn I just noticed something very ugly about Java Applets... They can only read/write on the host they came from, and they can only make a connection with a program running on the host.

Can't you just make it downloadable in a zip format or something? How will you upload it to the host if it can't be downloaded by other people? It doesn't make sense..

Yeah I could make it downloadable in .zip but I'll still need a server program running the way I see it now. I could make it simply two-player direct IP, that wouldn't require a server. But if I want to create a chatroom/lobby thing too, I'll need a program running on a server for that...

The funny thing about that Java applet (if i make it an applet) would be that the HTML-page would be on a host, thus always online(with explanation etc), while the applet itselfs resides on my pc... thus, too bad, only available when i want it to. But that's the way Java Applets seem to work...

All right... although applets are extremely cool I'll make it a decent executable JAR-file... Saves me bandwith (and a bit of coding ). Perhaps I'll add both Internet Lobby and Direct IP... if i manage to make a server-version for Direct IP...

Darn I'm talking more to myself here . You'll see what comes from it...

Now... I'm wondering... Does everyone use Windows in here? Then I could as well make a VB-version... Much easier and will run too . I chose Java because of the applets, but perhaps I'll change this then... Anyone without Windows?

-Amarth
    #
    void 19 years ago
    All right everyone I'm going to give the closing dates for this competition...

Starts as of your reading this sentance. Closes the 11th of April 2005! That will give you just under 6 months (or 24ish weeks).

Hopefully Ville will judge (pleaseeee Ville!) or I will (or it could go to a forum vote!). That will all be cleared up later.

You will be judged on:

Enjoyment/fun level
    Game play
    Concept (How original is it? Is it interesting/new?)
    Story
    Graphics
    Sound

In that order of importance. (If ville decides to judge he can do it as he pleases because obviously he knows what he's doing, at least more then I do. )

If you want me to change anything just say. Ville if you decide to judge just say and clearify the rules and how you'll be judging.

Good luck and may the force be with you!
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Ville shouln'd be the ony one to judge; the final score should depend on votes by the members of the forum.
    #
    apeisa 19 years ago
    "void" said:

You will be judged on:

Enjoyment/fun level
    Game play
    Concept (How original is it? Is it interesting/new?)
    Story
    Graphics
    Sound

Isn't the first one only that matters? If this is game making compo for beginners, or should I say "try to make game in six months without earlier knowledge", then I will be really impressed if someone makes good game that is actually fun to play. So I think that everyone tries to make game that is enjoyable... If that is ASCII-graphics or full 3D... it really doesn't matter. It is great challence to make fun game.
    #
    HarmlessHermit 19 years ago
    I'll just write a great story with some fan art and then I'll have 2 of the requirements nailed
    #
    void 19 years ago
    they're just guidelines people!
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    to me, a good story is one of the most important parts of a game. If the game play isnt very good, but the story is excellent (unless the game is too damn hard or repetitive), I will continue to play just for the story. I agree it should be vote based, but the tally should not be revealed, as it would probably influence further voting. Maybe a system of voting where each game has a form, where you submit your rating on each of the areas mentioned above.
    #
    Tetris: Revenge of the Purple Blocks

Would that interest you??
    #
    The hello world program wont work on my compiler I dled another compiler but it is waay to complicated to even install. I is confused
    #
    void 19 years ago
    What compiler wouldn't it work on? Post the entire code for the hello world program in Learning C++ topic and I'll see if I can help.

I don't like this
    The contest will be for about 3-6 months (not really sure yet)
    Here are many that can't even code a Hello World programm *g*
    so think about a year or so

All right everyone I'm going to give the closing dates for this competition...

Starts as of your reading this sentance. Closes the 11th of April 2005! That will give you just under 6 months (or 24ish weeks).

I mentioned this in an earlier post. People who can't program a hello world statment will either have to use game making software or make the game very simple ( or if they're really good they can just learn alot in a little bit of time).

If you want we can extend it. This time next year?
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    i think six months is more than enough time. If you find a good tutorial or book than it shouldnt take you much more than a month to learn the basics. (I did a tutorial about an rpg game, took two weeks, gave me all the knowledge i needed to start game programming)
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Yes, lets not drag it out too much.
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    6 months is enough. Those who aren't ready can join the next competition

-Amarth
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    yeah, i probably will have left(temporarily) this forum in six moths too. (uni starts in march so I don't know how much net access i will have, depends on whether i can afford my own pc)
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    Are you able to do university without pc? I mean, we need a computer about every day to get our courses and tasks from the internet, or to use maths/programming programs, etc. If we want to ask questions, we need to use the internet, ...

-Amarth
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    im not sure yet, i will end up getting one, im just not sure when. I would prefer a laptop, but they are stolen too easily. I'm living on campus too to begin with so there isn't alot of room for a pc in the room.

(PS. I havn't been to uni so I don't know if I need to buy one. They maybe have sufficient facilities in the college to get by without purchasing one)
    #
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    so how much competitors do we have now?
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    2 officially inscribed?
    being void and me. And possible a long list of those who will 'join when do know something about programming', dudes, join, then start learning. It'll motivate you, cause you "need" to have something for the competition.

-Amarth
    #
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    2 officially inscribed?
    being void and me. And possible a long list of those who will 'join when do know something about programming', dudes, join, then start learning. It'll motivate you, cause you "need" to have something for the competition.

-Amarth
    2 officially inscirbed?
    didn't you forgot someone
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    im in, except i have no ideas on a game right now. If I can't think of anything I will just do a space sim. I'm not a very creatice person.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    We'll post a poll to elect the winner, it wouldn't be fair if there was only one judge. I'll certainly give you full support if you can get something done.
    #
    void 19 years ago
    Ville would you be willing to put a link to the winners game on you site?

Casanova I just went to your site and looked at your flash work, VERY good! You should definitly enter the compitition you have a good shot a winning. If you do we'll have 5? entrants

Amath
    void
    NeoGangster
    Doogsy
    Casanova

(HarmlessHermit, Zombie, anyone else?????)

Ville was wrong!
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Maybe I could submit somthing, but i really dont have much time do sit down and do some serious programing for at least 2 more weeks. It midterm season at my college right now.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    "void" said:
    Ville would you be willing to put a link to the winners game on you site?

Certainly.
    #
    void 19 years ago
    That went better then expected . What about letting the winner join the game company you going to make .
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    Possibly not.
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    "ville" said:
    Possibly not.
    haha, somehow I don't think the games this comp will produce would exactly cut it in th commercial world.
    #
    turtlator 19 years ago
    I'll join, but I have to get my grades up, I only skimmed over C/C++ so it'll probably be in Basic, and Halo 2 is coming out, and I'm planning to spend at least a week or so non-stop on it.

Oh, yeah, it'll probably be either an RTS (most likely unbalanced in this time limit), an RPG like Diablo, but completely different in terms of character class, spells, weapons, engine, graphics, etc. (that basically means "Diablo but crappier"), or a space sim.
    #
    Dude when Halo 2 comes out, this Hermit is gonna strand himself on an alien planet with only an Xbox, TV and Halo 2 for the rest of the winter. The alien planet will have internet service of course for Xbox live

I've pretty much decided to use GameMaker. I wanna learn C++ but I don't think I can balance learning and making into a good game.
    Probably will be a platformer.
    #
    Forum » Amateur Game Making Comp.
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: