Register
Email: Password:
Forum » WAZZAL II: The Final Dawn - final Version 6 released!
  • « previous
  • » next
  • WAZZAL II: The Final Dawn - final Version 6 released!

Click 19 years ago
    One question...what does the EMC thingy do? Doesn't seem to hurt the red ships...
    #
    michael 19 years ago
    it killes the missiles. do the reds respawn? sometimes the missiles don't seem to damage you.oh and the red ships and missiles won't cross over when you go off the edge of the map. I think the ships would go over... they just stop at the edge.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Yes, as you can see, the mod is very much in beta stage.

The missiles don't always hit correctly, because in real life there's always the chance of them missing. And I can't figure out why the ships aren't crossing over.

@Eternal: Use the ECM!
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    Wow, this all seems really awesome, I can't wait for 0.2b!!!! Now I'm gonna have to watch this thread every 5 minutes... damn...

Edit: I thought I saw a big ship fire lasers? they are supposed to fire missles don't they?
    #
    michael 19 years ago
    I think they don't know they can and stay away from the edge as there is no reason to go there. oh and how are you going to handle when you have more then one ship? a good idea would to have the ships be items that you equip to change.

edit again: the red ships fire lasers.
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    Idea: how about making 4 different weapon types for your ship? And adding recistances too. Like they did in a space colonisation game called hegemonia:
    1 photon: basic equipment. extremely affected by resistances.
    2 Quantum: Advanced version of photon. slower rate of fire but more powerfull.
    3 Ion: weak compared to the others, but this one has 100% hit chance, if the cursor is over an enemy ship.
    4: projectile: fast rate of fire, no resistance possible
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    Idea: how about making 4 different weapon types for your ship? And adding recistances too. Like they did in a space colonisation game called hegemonia:
    3 Ion: weak compared to the others, but this one has 100% hit chance, if the cursor is over an enemy ship.
    Wow, this is what I'm after. All four ideas are very solid and would work perfectly. I'm going to implement this, thanks Idiota!! one little change I'll make is that the Ion cannon would also stun the enemy ship for a period of time, since the aim of an ion cannon is to disable an enemy's energy.
    Anyone got some more ideas for weapons?
    #
    michael 19 years ago
    how about the tyclon gun from smugglers? it could be a one hit kill gun but only like 1/2 inch from the target.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Your mean a weapon similiar to the 'lethal bite' weapon in Notrium? You would have to creep up to the enemy ship to use the weapon, but it would blow it up in one hit.
    #
    Click 19 years ago
    The enemy ships fly a bit too fast and you recharge your health too fast. Are there different kinds of alien ships...cuz i swear one of them took forever to kill...
    #
    michael 19 years ago
    I mean the (is it 30?) damage gun in smugglers that only works at close range.
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    "I" said:

You can even add weapon sizes, like photon Cannon, photon Minigun etc. This offers lots of variations and maybe I'll come up with another weapon type in the future. Maybe this goes a little to far with amounts of weapons, but you should consider it, I think
    #
    Grim Reaper 19 years ago
    How 'bout an antimatter gun?
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    What special features would an anti-matter gun have?

Another good idea, Idiota. I think I'm going to make the weapons as customizable as I can, so you can almost design your onw types and classes and maybe even sell them for a large sum on a planet.

@Michael: Ahh, I see what you mean. Good idea.
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    "ZeXLR8er!!" said:
    I'm going to make the weapons as customizable as I can, so you can almost design your onw types and classes and maybe even sell them for a large sum on a planet.

W00t!!! I like that idea!buying resources and making weapons out of them is pretty awesome

how about mines? you could make them move to a passing ship very slowly, so it's not that hard to aim.

Maybe some sort of EMP like weapon, that stuns all who are in a certain range

the same as the thruster you have added now, only then backwards, so you can make a quick boost backwards and shoot the enemy a little after that.

Maybe adding the photon, quantum, etc. to the vehicles and hand held weapons too?
    #
    Grim Reaper 19 years ago
    Drone fighters for big/huge cargo ships
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    After playing the mod a few times to get a good feel for how it worked here is my assessment.

- The AI is working, but just barely. Ships can and do cluster unrealistically. I've actually brought this to Ville's attention since it's more or less the way the AI is hard coded. Though I do see the AI giving you some serious headaches as even in a vast empty space they seemed to have trouble negotiating properly.

- The energy drain kind of got annoying, but I'm guessing you counter it with some kind of resource management like mining.

- I kind of liked the way the ships handled, but like the races in the default game they do a little jig when you change directions sharply which produces some real honky motions. So you may want to switch to vehicle. If there was an effect to move a creature in a set direction that would allow you to still have strafing but with a much more stable motion system.

- It occured to me, or rather annoyed me for an unknown reason. I'm destroying ships and asteroids but I'm not getting anything, in fact I'm just wasting resources. It'd be nice if when you destroyed a ship you'd get some energy back or maybe a missle pack. Also destroying Asteroids could produce similar bounties and couple maybe spawn slowly over time to allow for some side tracking to mine for resources. Basically just saying it'd be nice to have the standard pick-ups/powerups for destroying things which tends to help motivate.

- Overall I am very hopeful from what I've seen. It shows good promise if for nothing else than a space fighter.

Keep up the good work and take what I said as constructive criticism.
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    "I" said:
    how about mines? you could make them move to a passing ship very slowly, so it's not that hard to aim.

Maybe some sort of EMP like weapon, that stuns all who are in a certain range

the same as the thruster you have added now, only then backwards, so you can make a quick boost backwards and shoot the enemy a little after that.

Maybe adding the photon, quantum, etc. to the vehicles and hand held weapons too?

I'm not done yet

Maybe some sort of way to recruit crew members? Like to add the whole Var'equinalin crew, to make things a little more interesting.

Let me write down the weapon sizes I thought off (these are for ALL weapon types):

Blaster: Basic equipment. Very cheap, but not very powerfull
    Minigun: Rapid fire weapon with low accurancy
    Cannon: Advanced blaster. Packs a good punch
    Turret: Mounted turret with Blaster or Minigun properties
    Charge-up shot: Really great damage, but takes 5 sec to charge
    Some really big gun (haven't found a name of it yet): Best weapon you can get, no further specials of this one yet.

P.S. I don't expect you to pick all of them, it's just a selection of my best idea's

EDIT: I'll stop with all the idea's for a while, so you can sort them out and throw away the useless junk
    #
    Anonymous1157 19 years ago
    I have an idea!

Sonic Megaphone: Best weapon, fires a shattering-loud sonic pulse in all directions.

Effectiveness: Breaks glass, takes about 10 seconds to replace glass on a ship. Health drains steadily at 7 units per second.
    #
    blitzsolo 19 years ago
    What about antimatter missle? or hellbore ray (which is a ray continously shots like a laser in real life? I modded your mod to make something that shoots little energy bombs/missles/rockets which look like EMP with a diffrent trail and something that shoots a SUN which moves slowly but does like 10000000000000000 damage. What about a plasma fusion ray or bomb? What about umm...plasma disks? Or if you can make 1 shield bar and 1 health bar, an ion concentrate gun which is very effective against shields but dosn't do anything to the hull and a rail gun which can penetrate shields with no problem? Also I think we should be able to capture planets? What about making a space station. You can probally make it like a turret which you use a modded psionic focus near it to go inside?
    #
    michael 19 years ago
    allright I won!
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Fantastic ideas, I'm putting in the mines as we speak, and I'm also going to use the weapons sizes if I can.

@Quanrian: Thanks for the comments, I'll work on fixing them up.
    BTW, you can turn off the energy frain by 'using' the force-field generator item.
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    I have an idea!

Sonic Megaphone: Best weapon, fires a shattering-loud sonic pulse in all directions.

Effectiveness: Breaks glass, takes about 10 seconds to replace glass on a ship. Health drains steadily at 7 units per second.

I don't think it's possible in outer space. There's no air to vibrate and break the glass.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    That's right.

@Michael: You won? Congratulations!!
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    how is the game progressing?
    #
    roburky 19 years ago
    I too think this holds great promise.

My only comment at this stage is that the ships should be slower, and smaller. Give the player more tactical options.
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    "roburky" said:
    My only comment at this stage is that the ships should be slower

No way, they're good as it is right now
    #
    michael 19 years ago
    zex: did you read my comment about how to handle a fleet of ships?
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    With items? Actually that's a way better idea than it sounds, as you could use the items to give the ships commands and to deploy them. Good work, Mich, I'm going to use this.
    #
    gold kiros 19 years ago
    Here are some ideas of planet capturing and taking over ships. When you land on a planet there should be a spaceport(where your ship can be repaired and refueled, maybe even steal one ) You should kill some knid of boss or the planet presiden and when you do the whole space port and people become yours. You like? Anyway you should eventually have carriers that house your own ships and troops ( for invasion the other way to conquer the planet) Another way to conquer it it is by having an allaiance that gives you certain amount of troops\ships every so often for free.

For things on a planet, weapon store, armor store, ship upgrade store, ship waepon\drone ship store, troop traning and hiring store and a spaceport mentioned earlier. Whta you thing you like?
    #
    blitzsolo 19 years ago
    That's almost exactly like the game "Beta Blocker It's a really cool game, abeit unstable.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    "ZeXLR8er!!" said:
    "ville" said:
    Maybe you could make the asteroids creatures? That way they could drift slowly, and be affected by weapons. No, wait, the AI might be just a bit too slow for that kind of payload. It's worth a test anyway.
    I tried making all the asteroids creatures, and it actually doesn't so much slow down the game, but because Notrium can only AI controll the nearest ???30??? creatures to the player, so you get the enemy ships stopping, even when they are on screen.

You might actually consider making all the enemy ships AI forced on. If you only have something like a dozen enemies in one map, it wouldn't slow it down much.

"ZeXLR8er!!" said:

"doogsy" said:

good work.
    EDIT: The sounds are actually overridden in game for all the mods
    Hmm, I'll look into this. What do you mean exactly? The sounds should be installing to their own folder.

Apparently a bug in the game. I'll look into this.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    "gold kiros" said:
    Here are some ideas of planet capturing and taking over ships. When you land on a planet there should be a spaceport(where your ship can be repaired and refueled, maybe even steal one ) You should kill some knid of boss or the planet presiden and when you do the whole space port and people become yours. You like? Anyway you should eventually have carriers that house your own ships and troops ( for invasion the other way to conquer the planet) Another way to conquer it it is by having an allaiance that gives you certain amount of troops\ships every so often for free.

For things on a planet, weapon store, armor store, ship upgrade store, ship waepon\drone ship store, troop traning and hiring store and a spaceport mentioned earlier. Whta you thing you like?
    Wow, fantastic ideas. I'll see what ones are do-able.
    You might actually consider making all the enemy ships AI forced on. If you only have something like a dozen enemies in one map, it wouldn't slow it down much.
    I think I must be missing something obvious, but how would i go about doing that?
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    One more thing: atm Ville I'm setting up a more realistic shields system. I've got a armour bar that works as an "shields" bar, and all the alien weapons do damage to both the "shields" bar and the ships actual health bar. So, the higher the shields bar, the less damage the enemy's weapons do to your actual health.
    But here's the problem: as you've said before, the armour-type bar always does 1 point of damage, nomatter what, even if the enemy weapon does less than 1 point of damage per shot. This is a mojor problem, as I have some high fire-rate weapons that do less than 1 point damage in a shot, so I'm having their shots rounded up to 1 every time my shields are on.
    Another major problem is that for the shields to be effective I need them to completely block out enemy weapons when the shields are on max.

If its possible, could you please add an option in bars.dat before you release 1.33 that would let you define whether the armour bar allows weapons to always give the 1 point damage? The "bar type" parameter0 is free for the "Armour" bar, so that would be how you would define it.
    It would be set out like this:

Shields;//name----------------(armour)
    3;//identifier
    4;//bar type, 0=normal, 1=show body temperature, 2=show number of items parameter0, 3=show wielded weapon ammo, 4=show armor, (parameter0=do 1 point damage nomatter what, 1=yes, 0=no) 5=show carry weight, 6=show seconds from game start
    0;//parameter0
    1;//visible (only applicable for player's bars)
    1;//visible on enemies
    1;//show number
    3;//anchor point (0=left top, 1=right top, 2=left bottom, 3=right bottom)
    -255;//location x, pixels from anchor point
    -37;//location y, pixels from anchor point
    bar.png;//bar picture
    none;//background picture
    0;//background picture x offset
    0;//background picture y offset
    0;//background picture width
    0;//background picture height
    1;//height
    -200;//length in pixels for maximum (negative = bar increases to left)
    1;//red color component for minimum
    0.2;//green color component for minimum
    0;//blue color component for minimum
    0;//red color component for maximum
    0.2;//green color component for maximum
    1;//blue color component for maximum

Bold = new stuff

Please try to add this Ville if you can, I really, really need it.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    I'm just guessing but there should be another way of doing this without using the armor bar at all. This is basically just using two health bars essentially. The shields being the first and the actual health being the second. So in the end what have you got ? You've got one long health bar essentially. So you could always do it that way and just have the bar be multicolored to reflect which is shields and which is the health.

So now you're gonna tell me something like shields recharge and health doesn't right ? Well just have the health bar only recharge if it's above a certain value If it's in the health perhaps you need to repair the damage to your ship before it goes back up. Either way you could probably manage this with a single bar.

As for sticking to two bars you could probably use effect 28 in some manner or another to help you.
    #
    Forum » WAZZAL II: The Final Dawn - final Version 6 released!
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: