Register
Email: Password:
Forum » WAZZAL II: The Final Dawn - final Version 6 released!
  • « previous
  • » next
  • WAZZAL II: The Final Dawn - final Version 6 released!

Bladekill1298 8 years ago
    E_net4 I knew that, I meant otherwise if it were a glitch or something else.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 8 years ago
    E_net4 said:
    First of all, I will express my greatest commendations for turning the mod into a complete state. I would dare to say that this has turned into the most mature Notrium mod yet, making a wide and creative use of the Notrium engines for tasks that did not seem possible at first glance: a stock market, galactic maps, fishing and planting, and so on. The use of alignments and ranks also reminded me of the days playing Pirates!, and introduces a lot of replayability into the game. So yeah, great mod we have here! Give yourself a pat in the back!

Now, on to a few nitpicks:

- Entering some planets did not change the player's movement pattern (from key-controlled orientation to the usual 4-axis movement), and that made it pretty hard to control the captain.
    - There's a particular planet that was quite heavy to load. It took more than 10 seconds on my machine for it to show up. It might have to do with its size and the high resolution of the textures involved. I'm not sure to what extent this issue can be addressed.
    - Not a bug, but I have a system named after my anagram! How awesome is that? :'D

Hopefully you'll be maintaining the mod for a while... but do you have any intentions of making more mods? Or perhaps take a similar project?

Bladekill1298 said:
    There are no friendly aliens, even if there were where would they be?
    Actually, you can persuade the aliens in Dorian Prime into joining your cause. So there you go, friendly aliens.

Hey E_net4! Yay, thanks for testing things out. It sounds like you explored most of the more "niche" additions I made for this version... It might be weird, but out of everything in the mod I think the galactic map which shows your current position is one of the things I'm most proud of. I didn't think that would be something that was possible in Notrium!

As for the nitpicks: is there any chance you can remember which planets had the incorrect movement patterns? It certainly sounds like a bug, but I couldn't seem to replicate it in a quick bit of testing. I'm guessing the slow loading occurred in the Naquarin/water planet? I've noticed it too, and think it's probably due to a plot object loading all its timed instances at once (we had a similar problem in the Zoo system which was solved by putting a limit on the instances). Will look into it!

Haha, and I'm glad you like your system! Shh, though... we don't want any still remaining bananas being unpeeled... I will definitely be supporting this mod for at least the next few weeks or so... hopefully as a few people play it we can iron out any remaining problems. As for new mods... I really don't know at this stage as I'm ridiculously busy, but after this mod somehow got finished after 11 years I don't think I will ever rule it out completely!
    #
    ZeXLR8er 8 years ago
    Bladekill1298 said:
    I played alittle more tonight and got to the desert planet. I thought the anti air vehicles would also be ai controlled and shoot heat-seeking missiles instead of 500 rockets. I also think you should include my allied spawner because just having a conferate battleship spawning tanks isn't enough since the aliens have more overpowered infantry. You should also make it possible to change to one of the wazzal ships after you destroy one or something like in the old wazzal game.

Hey Bladekill! The issue with spawners is that it's a fine line between adding extra combat and making the game balanced. In order for the player's actions to actually count, the Aliens naturally need to be able to re-spawn and attack far more aggressively than the allied troops. On the desert planet however I believe the Confed battleship is set to spawn at a relatively high rate, so should still provide a decent amount of backup to support the player!

I like the idea of changing ships like the old Wazzal. It's theoretically possible, but might be a bit tricky to implement. Probably something for a future version 6.X, but I will definitely have a think!

As for making the submachine gun work for the player: have you purchased the X-something submachine gun from the store? It's effectively the same weapon, just for the player.

The "friendly" alien fighters were accidentally included in the large group of fighters located just to the south-west of the battleships on the Zoo planet. This caused them to spawn friendly Aliens which then fought with the enemies, making for some strange battles. They are safely removed from version 6.0.5. The friendly aliens which are meant to included come from Dorian Prime, and are my preferred method for defeating the Aliens in the Zoo!
    #
    Bladekill1298 8 years ago
    Oh okay to the alien fighters glitch. Excellent for the changing ships idea. Yes to the sub-machine gun. And with the spawner its situation per planet. On Kravaak A they just die because of the alien fighters bombardments. On Zycar they only slow down the advancing aliens. On Lvlei they hold them off pretty much to let the player collect so many alien corpses that it allows me to buy lots of things. Naquarium, Zoo, Kinmegag 71 I haven't tried yet because they don't need them on it. I put some in the armada so I will try that soon. For the desert planet they didn't really help. Also I feel the hidden spawners provide an unfair advantage because of the amount spawned and how close they are to the turrets on both Zycar and Lvlei. Also I had an idea for adding Notrium to the mod. Everything would be spawned on Notrium except destroyed or dead with the escape pod gone, of course. Then there could be hidden alien posts in the Hive and the Ship Cemetery. Also I finally managed to get 2000+ PP
    Edited 8 years ago
    #
    sm123 7 years ago
    Anyone knows how to fix game stuck problems on planets: Zycar, Naquarin, Garrempir and zoo system???
    Please help as I am keep getting stuck on these planets whenever I land and game stop responding after the dialog box is closed which appears when you land for first time on planet.
    #
    INFERNUS 7 years ago
    sm123 said:
    Anyone knows how to fix game stuck problems on planets: Zycar, Naquarin, Garrempir and zoo system???
    Please help as I am keep getting stuck on these planets whenever I land and game stop responding after the dialog box is closed which appears when you land for first time on planet.

I too cannot load those maps.

The only way to fix this issue is for ZeXLR8er to use less plot objects on those planets with bigger intervals, or for Ville to make a maximum cap on how many times the interval can be stacked. (There really shouldn't be any need for it to run more than 100 times.)

Original post by Ville:

Looking at how the code works, it seems that the time used for timed effects is cumulative, so that if you're on one map, then that time counts for timers on other maps. For creatures the timer runs only once if it reaches the trigger time, so all creature timers will probably run at once when you open a map. But for objects it runs the timer retroactively when you open a map. So if you spend a lot of time on one map, it runs as many times as needed to make up the lost time. Could that be the cause?
    #
    sm123 7 years ago
    So is there a way for us to fix that problem to make those planets more playable??? Like changing some values in files for objects loading to only one time as you have mentioned.
    #
    INFERNUS 7 years ago
    I can't say which plot objects are valid, nor now many of them spawn with random map generation since it is not easy to say if removing or changing them will break the game, but one thing I noticed is that all 4 maps that wont open after some time passed are loaded instantly when playing them from the test map.

So, the only current solution to play those maps is to open the (Notrium/data/Wazzal II) player_races.dat file with notepad, find line 8, and change
    0;//start area

to

29;//start area

This will load the test map with all planets in reach so you can play them without your game freezing on start. (You wont have your rank or anything, since it is a fresh game)

You can mess around with editor and spawn yourself some items on those planets if you want.
    #
    sm123 7 years ago
    Thanks the problem is solved by doing that but still it would be good if we can play it like before. I hope Wazzal 2 and Weivar Expansion mods keep continuing to be improved and new stuffs added.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 7 years ago
    Hi all! I didn't realise this was such a major problem... would it be possible for you to add a comment to the Github issue here (https://github.com/zexlr8er/Wazzal_II/issues/77) with all the details you can (i.e. how long you were playing when the issue occurred, what planets etc)? That way I can release a test build that Ville will be able to use to try and work out what is going on behind the scenes. While it's likely related to a plot object, I haven't been able to track it down: as far as I can tell, there aren't any regularly updating plot objects in those maps. My only other thought is that it may have something to do with animated texture tiles, but I still haven't been able to prove this definitively.

Also, rather than messing with the code, there is another easier, secret way to access the maps at the beginning of the game: simply enter the secret mod testing mode by hitting "9", then enter the testing map by hitting "5". All the planets will be there to easily access! Hopefully this won't be required for too long once we work out what is causing the issue above.

And yes, I will be releasing a version 6.1 at some point in the near future that will have some brand new features: being able to take control of disabled neutral ships, a brand new planet and several powerful new weapons! Stay tuned.

Edited 7 years ago
    #
    INFERNUS 7 years ago
    Found the Issue!
    Alien light (81) and force field (192) are the source of freezing.

I'll post a github issue soon.
    #
    INFERNUS 7 years ago
    sm123 said:
    So is there a way for us to fix that problem to make those planets more playable??? Like changing some values in files for objects loading to only one time as you have mentioned.

If you don't want to wait for the next release, it is simple to fix it:

1.) Select Wazzal II mod and enter the map editor.
    2.) Use X and Y buttons to navigate maps, find all 4 of those planets you mentioned.
    3.) When you found that planet, find all instances of Alien Light (Green pillar object) Right click on it to select it, and the right click anywhere to delete it (In case you selected something else, left click to place it back). Make sure you get all of them from all 4 planets. They aren't important to the game.
    4.) Triple check all maps, you don't want to forget any of them.
    5.) Hit escape, press F12 to save and hit F10 to exit. Load the new game and enjoy!

The planets work fine for me now. If one of those planets freezes, wait for a moment for it to finish. It shouldn't take more than a minute.

Anyways! I really enjoyed your mod! The starting cinematic really surprised me, as I didn't hope for it as I played the older build
    The battle on the desert planet was pretty fun, but that shotgun/painkiller/adrenaline was way to overpowered, I just circled around their defenses and destroyed the turrets in few hits.
    The controllable boats, fighters and that rocket trucks looks awesome. Explosion effects and such looked great.

I'm having trouble finding the last piece of the alien ship. I picked every part from the planets, is the last one in space? Kudos for Jupiter map and Sol System effects!

I also found a bunch of bugs ad posted on git. 2 of them are probably related to Notrium source code.

Keep up the good work!
    #
    ZeXLR8er 7 years ago
    Thanks very much for updating the github issues... I think it has helped me work out what's going on: are you both using the freeware version rather than the Steam version? The Steam version fixes *many* bugs which have existed since the very first version of the mod. I would highly, highly recommend using it rather than the outdated freeware version!

On the issue mentioned above, the Alien lights were buggy in the old version of Notrium, and were fixed by Ville in the Steam version. There's still a bit of a lag when loading Naquarin after extended gameplay, but the other systems should be mostly OK in Steam!

I will comment the ones which should be fixed in the Steam version and leave them open for the time being... if you happen to replicate any of them on the new version I will try and work out what is going on! The next version of the mod will be more clearly labelled as only being compatible with the new version of Notrium, as this solves most of the problems with the mod.

Cheers guys!
    #
    sm123 7 years ago
    Thanks for your reply @INFERNUS but I will wait for the new release as the bug will be fixed in it, also bunch of new stuff might come too.
    And @ZeXLR8er I am using the Latest version of Notrium Version 1.4.2. So looking forward to your new release
    #
    Lazla (guest) 6 years ago
    Wow has this mod come back alive?
    I remember having to code in txt files to survive that starting spaceship fight, there was no way to escape or fight (atleast for child me to survive)
    Did this mod had act on instinct (from Command conquer series) in ost in older version, or similar song as synth part or do i just remember wrong?
    #
    Quanrian 6 years ago
    Just thought I'd drop in and give my congrats. It's good to see projects through and coming back to old ones and finishing them is often far more difficult than finishing them all in one go. So again, congrats and keep working on that which you enjoy!
    #
    Tatu (guest) 6 years ago
    Hi,

Wow. Just amazing it returned from the dead and was finished. I remember trying this out as a teenager. It was very interesting even back then but it was pretty barebones. I imagine it's now completely different. Congratulations so much!
    #
    Wadsworth 6 years ago
    postid_58780021141012e48 said:
    Hi,

Wow. Just amazing it returned from the bathmate website dead and was finished. I remember trying this out as a teenager. It was very interesting even back then but it was pretty barebones. I imagine it's now completely different. Congratulations so much!

I tried this out ages ago too. So glad I can play the Version 6 now.

Edited 4 years ago
    #
    Bladekill1298 6 years ago
    Ai in Notrium needs to be fixed
    #
    Bladekill1298 4 years ago
    Just thought of a good idea aliens being able to jump through warp gates when you go through them
    #
    A fan who's returning to the past (guest) 2 years ago
    dead thread? i recently tried the 6.0.5 latest version of Wazzal II, however when tring to use WinRAR to extract the Zip to the Notrium Directory, WinRAR says that the archive is corrupt :/ does this mean that Wazzal II is no longer possible?
    #
    A fan who's returning to the past (guest) 2 years ago
    A fan who's returning to the past (guest) said:
    dead thread? i recently tried the 6.0.5 latest version of Wazzal II, however when tring to use WinRAR to extract the Zip to the Notrium Directory, WinRAR says that the archive is corrupt :/ does this mean that Wazzal II is no longer possible?

! C:\Users\bbobb\Downloads\Wazzal_II-6.0.5.zip: The archive is corrupt

copied from clipboard, the files are corrupt i guess?

#
    ville 2 years ago
    You can download the current version from Github: https://github.com/zexlr8er/Wazzal_II

I tested using the install instructions, and it downloads and unzips just fine.
    #
    Forum » WAZZAL II: The Final Dawn - final Version 6 released!
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: