Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Driftmoon Modding Questions.

Driftmoon Modding Questions.

etchevalier 11 years ago
I'm finally getting around to starting a Driftmoon mod in the top down point & click adventure genre, like a 2.5D Dreamweb. Right now I'm just working with the default assets but I intend on doing a full graphics and audio overhaul. I've roughed out a few maps based on a story I've been drafting for years, in the style of HP Lovecraft meets the Three Stooges, with a punk rock twist. No real gameplay built yet, just the shape of things to come.

Perhaps these things have been covered before but I have a couple questions before I dive in deeper:

First, is it possible to have a few characters around the map that the player could switch between, ala Maniac Mansion? Its not a requirement, I can just make them companions, but I was hoping to create characters with different specialties to deal with different types of puzzles.

Next, if I decided to push this beyond a mod and into a commercial project is there a way to add audio to the dialogue system? I know that Gemini Rue and other adventure games have run into this with publishers wanting to add voices, and personally I prefer it too.
#
Pete 11 years ago
For the first one, I imagine something could be hacked together with switching skills and global variables on and off depending on the character and changing the players race/textures, but theres no native support. For the audio during dialogue, I imagine you could simply play a sound file on every dialogue option through its effects?

I see you there, Ville, writing your perfect reply! This time I got here first, mweee hee hee!
#
ville 11 years ago
Sounds like a splendid game! We're eagerly looking forward to seeing it!

1) I've been toying around with a script action that would allow changing the player control to another bot. But it's still a rough prototype, and I'm not sure if I can make it work well enough to be reliable. There are many things to consider, like which inventory the player controls, and what the old player character is supposed to be doing while we're controlling the other character. If I were you, I'd leave it optional, and use it if the functionality gets into the game.

2) Lip sync is always a tough one... Just kidding, you can simply make it play a sound file, we have full ogg streaming support, and it's easy to add support for the player being able to skip voiceovers, or maybe make the dialogues automatically continue when the sound has been played. We're always eager to help you in any small way we can, don't forget that!

If you're going to make it an adventure, I realize there may be many RPG things you might want to change with the interface, such as leaving out the stats/talents/skills/minimap and so on. I'm open to suggestions, leaving stuff out is always easier than putting new stuff in!
#
Anne 11 years ago
Hi etchevalier! Nice to hear you're making an adventure game mod - if you ask me, adventure games rock! You've probably already noticed the Driftmoon modding wiki, right? Maybe you'll find it useful? Feel free to contribute to the wiki or the wish list, and do ask us if you run into problems.
#
Macyo (guest) 11 years ago
I also have modding question.

I looked at modifying the start of the game.. in the well.
I can't find a way to change what the character says.. something like
"Hello? MoM! Anyone! Help?".

Can I remove/edit that someway? I couldn't find a way to change that but I could change everything else in that map.

Also what are markers?
#
Uhmm, also..

I get an error saying that there's compatibility issues that won't allow me to make edits to the main mod. That is really weird we can't make any modifications the the main game.. that's what modding is basically about o.0

Or am I saving it wrong maybe?
I click save ass and type in folder path to where my own mod is located.. not the main game.
#
ville 11 years ago
Basically you have to create a new mod, and edit that. Look into the main menu where you can select which mod to play, there's a button in the lower left corner called Create New Mod. Then you can copy any of the maps from the main game to your mod, and edit it there. I'll have to see about that error message, so it'll be more instructive.

As I recall, the player's shout from the beginning of the game come from a script inside the conversation of the Deep Well bot. It's the blue rectangle right in the middle of the well.

By the way, for others that might be interested, I'm making modding the main game easier in the next update, there will be a separate directory for ini files that you wish to load as additions to the main ini files. That way you can for example easily add a few items in your items.ini file, but still keep the ini file from the main game. It'll work for all ini files.
#
Thanks for quick answer

ville said:

As I recall, the player's shout from the beginning of the game come from a script inside the conversation of the Deep Well bot. It's the blue rectangle right in the middle of the well.

Can you verify this please? Because I've looked at that script and I edited the dialogue for the faded out part already but it wasn't there.

I also looked at the script that is next to the deep well bot.
The dialogue text in that script is so similar but without "Mom!".. I edited that too but it wasn't the correct script to edit either.
#
Anne 11 years ago
Macyo (guest) said:
Thanks for quick answer
Can you verify this please? Because I've looked at that script and I edited the dialogue for the faded out part already but it wasn't there.

I can't check it from the game right now (sorry), but I think the dialogue of the Well bot is set to trigger an 'event', which includes the player's comment.

So I suggest you (1) open the Deep Well bot again, (2) click on the dialogue, then (3) find the 'event' in the dialogue tree (it's in the upper right corner of the last dialogue line). (4) When you open the event, I think you'll find the comment there.
#
Yep it was there hehe.
Dialogue lines are highlighted green if they have an event.
#
Forum » Driftmoon Modding Questions.

Your email:
Your name: