," `. ,--. `.
    ," @ .' ` \
    (Y ( ;''.
    `--.____, \ , ;
    ((_ ,----' ,---' _,'_,'
    (((_,- (((______,-'
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    I can't unzip it with winzip, any ideas?
    #
    Grim Reaper 19 years ago
    Umm you open .rar files with winrar.
    Didn't you know that?
    #
    roburky 19 years ago
    It sounds impressive from your description. However...

I could only equip the laser pistol.
    (Ah, although I see now this was because I had to load the others with ammunition first. Sorted now.)

The laser pistol could only be fired once. If you changed to alternate fire, you could fire once again. Change back to normal, and you could fire another shot. Was this intentional?
    (Ah, I now see this is all of the semi-automatic weapons not working properly).

I note that loading an empty weapon requires manually removing whatever weapon you're holding at the time. Fiddly.

The sniper scope is impressive (how did you do that?). As is the alternate firing (which is spelt incorrectly, incidentally).
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    Umm you open .rar files with winrar.
    Didn't you know that?

Hmm... even to me, that makes sense, thanks

EDIT: Very nice game btw, keep it up
    #
    cristallion 19 years ago
    how do you load weapons with bullets
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    "roburky" said:

I note that loading an empty weapon requires manually removing whatever weapon you're holding at the time. Fiddly.
    The sniper scope is impressive (how did you do that?)

Thats a problem with the way item slots are handled, I wish that not all item actions required that the item was equiped. This is the effect for the sniper scope (item 33):
    49;//effect number
    -1.000000;//parameter1
    500.000000;//parameter2
    -1.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4

how do you load weapons with bullets

Pick up the weapon and the ammo on top of it. Then open the inventory, select the weapon and press R. You only need to do this when the weapon is used for the first time. I will make this automatic on the next version.
    #
    Grim Reaper 19 years ago
    Argh... the damn thing doesn't even start...
    I get the start screen and the music, and when I click, Notrium exits...
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Maybe you placed the mod files in the wrong place? try deleting the current folders and re-dowloading it.
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    The new version is nice, but walking over that dead body isn't. I tried al the weapons, problem is, my team just runs twards the enemy and then stands still to shoot them alltogether, making them easy prey. Isn't there a way of improving the AI?
    #
    Grim Reaper 19 years ago
    "Casanova" said:
    Maybe you placed the mod files in the wrong place? try deleting the current folders and re-dowloading it.

I did install it properly. It just doesn't work or sumthing.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Hmmm I dont know what could be causing it to crash. Try deleting the music folder for the mod or changing the resolution to 1024x768, maybe that will help. Its probably an incompatibility bug since it seemed to work with other people.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    I tried the version you're linking in your signature. At first I couldn't understand how to reload any of the weapons. I take it that you want to be able to do the weapon's reload effect block without actually wielding it, while still making it possible to wield it for shooting? It's not possible with the current way items are handled, you'll need to figure out a way to circumvent this.

Maybe you would do it by making the player able to wield the weapon even if he hasn't any ammo for it. Then he could reload it by pressing R outside inventory.

One thing I noticed is that one of the samples in there causes some sort of a memory fault in my debugging version. The sample's name is cashregister.wav, probably you just need to save it again as it may be missing a few bits at the end.

Otherwise it looks good, the radio commands to the marines worked fine, and I was able to use the shopping machine.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Ok, I'll check if the new 1.33 version allows me to fix the problems.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    A new beta is now availble. New in this version:

-A working radio system
    -More than a dozen new units
    -Medics heal your troops when critical
    -6 more weapons
    -A drivable tank
    -Powerful air strikes (team kill, anyone?)
    -A highy fortified enemy base
    -2 endings

Its supposed to pretty hard to beat it, so it may take you several retries. Remember to use the radio to manage your troops so they dont rush to their death. Have fun
    #
    Cap'n Kyth 19 years ago
    I should probably use an airstrike on those damn turrets... ¬¬
    #
    roburky 19 years ago
    Do the semi-automatic fire weapons work properly yet?
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    I think so, just press and release the mouse to fire as fast as you can click. Press Q to switch modes.
    #
    Marevix 19 years ago
    Jeez, Casanova. You're popping out these Opposing Force versions like machine gun bullets. When this is finished (nevermind, I figured it out) it will be a classic.
    #
    Cap'n Kyth 19 years ago
    The radio works vaguely right
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    I did a small update on the mod, mostly to balance things out:

- Airstrikes are more accurate and powerful, and thre is a 3 sec delay.
    - Tank is more useful as it lets you carry unlimited weight.
    - Press 5 on the radio to ask a medic to heal you.
    - Turrets are only vulnerable to airstrikes or explosive weapons.
    - Some weapon and enemy balancing.

I would really like to listen to your feedback on this mod, so I can balance the gameplay properly before starting work on the main campaing.
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    I found the gameplay too fast for me too manage my team properly. Also having so many enemies and allies made it difficult too. I ended up leaving my team and going lone wolf.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Take your tank and set your troops to follow you. It will absorb most of the damage while they shoot from relative safety.
    But maybe I should slow down the fire rate and walking speed a little.
    #
    Cap'n Kyth 19 years ago
    Eh, I took like two or three turret hits in the tank and died almost instantly ¬¬
    #
    Marevix 19 years ago
    The turrets are overpowered.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    ok then, I'll nerf their damage and hitpoints.
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    no way, it is the only real threat for a tank, dont delete it! The game needs a tank killer machine. You just have to dodge the bullets
    #
    Marevix 19 years ago
    Even if it's supposedly a tank killer it shouldn't kill a tank within 1-2 seconds. A tank is a tank because it can't be killed too easily, and right now it isn't of much use because it can be killed easily. We're not even getting rid of it, we're just making it weaker.
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    Let me put it this way: I think it is a great thing for example for the easy-normal-hard difficulties, where hard is as it is right now. But I can get from dropping to end inside all the way inside my tank. Making it easier will make it boring for me, I hope Casenove understands.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    What I will end up doing is to make the anti-tank turrets more rare, and in most cases replace them with something weaker, like rocket infantry or slow-firing mortars.

Do you have some ideas for other base weapons/ turrets?
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    how about spider mines?
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    Well I finally got a chance to check out this mod. Very good job so far. I've got an idea on how to keep the AI from clumping so much, at least from different units. What you can do is when they're too close to a friendly AI just slow them down. This should hopefully reduce the clumping to some degree. You'll also probably have to tweak it so they don't go slow all the time, perhaps with a random value condition.

Issues I had were...

- I couldn't see what weapon I had equipped because your nifty interface, which I like alot btw, covers it.

- AI clumping is a real issue in your mod. Hopefully the solution I provided above will help you out and it could probably be used with Zex's mod as well.

- The tank you pick from the menu and the one you get into use two different control schemes. This is really an easy thing to resolve by simply adding a condition that changes the control scheme to vehicle if the player is the tank. I wasn't sure however if you did this on purpose, so just ignore this if you did.

- Bugs swarm you way too easy. I think a few simple tweaks and you can make it so the swarms are alot more reasonable, this has to do with the anger levels. You simply need to make the anger level for the attack section smaller and also put more levels between it and attack level. That way they will only clump if they're relatively close by.

That's it for problems I had, it really is well made. I was especially impressed with the dual pistols above everything else. That was some nifty coding you did there. Just about all your graphics were original and that is really good as well.

I'm not sure if you're aware but the marine graphics from Notrium 1.3 were made by me entirely and are thus copyrighted to me, so as long as you're going to use them, modified or not I expect you'll credit me for the originals. I am only making a fuss about this because I actually designed them from scratch and they took me some time to make. I have no objections to you using them in your mod otherwise. Sorry about making a stink about this, but we have covered using copyrighted graphics in the past and people do have to realize some of the graphics for Notrium are copyrighted to me and some are to Ville and you should make it a rule, not an exception to always ask first.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Hey thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to add your name to the credits on the next version.

Were you running the game at 800x600? I guess that would be the reason for not being able to see what weapon was equiped. Maybe i should make an alternate version that uses graphics for lower resolutions.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "Casanova" said:
    Hey thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to add your name to the credits on the next version.

Were you running the game at 800x600? I guess that would be the reason for not being able to see what weapon was equiped. Maybe i should make an alternate version that uses graphics for lower resolutions.

Actually that's odd because if they're above the weapon display in 1024x768 they should be in 800x600 as well. The only reason they wouldn't be is if you placed it from the top corner of the screen rather than the bottom.

Oh yes and try out my idea for gapping apart allies, as well as the one for less swarming with enemies. I'd like to know how they work out and what problems you may have. It'd be a good thing overall for the community to get a solid technique for reducing the clumping AI problem, and I think your mod is a good flagship for it since yours is very close to being a RTS or as close as we're likely to get for now.

It might even pay to give the marines custom AI so they can react on their own, like automatically switching to retreat when their health is too low. I was toying with this idea alot, but I didn't really have a good model to use it on. If I take a decent break from my mod, due to frustration or otherwise I might mod yours a bit and if I can do anything worthwhile I pass it on to you.

I would definately like to see your mod polished up and finalized to a degree that it really is its own game. My goal in this is that as mods look less and less like Notrium modded and more like games based on just an engine people will try more adventurous mods that really stretch the limits on what people thought was possible You guys are lucky and unfortunate enough as well to be the ones setting the example for the rest of the modders out there who aren't quite sold on what can be done with modding Notrium.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    I tested your idea, and now the soldiers tend to walk into a roughtly straight line. Im going to see if I can get them to spread out more evenly.
    #
    Forum » Opposing Force
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: