Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Opposing Force
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Opposing Force

MageKing17 19 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    I would definately like to see your mod polished up and finalized to a degree that it really is its own game. My goal in this is that as mods look less and less like Notrium modded and more like games based on just an engine people will try more adventurous mods that really stretch the limits on what people thought was possible You guys are lucky and unfortunate enough as well to be the ones setting the example for the rest of the modders out there who aren't quite sold on what can be done with modding Notrium.
    This sounds a lot like what I said in the side-scroller thread...
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "Casanova" said:
    I tested your idea, and now the soldiers tend to walk into a roughtly straight line. Im going to see if I can get them to spread out more evenly.

Actually that's still something. If you could figure out how to get them to group in different distances than you can have tactics like scatter and cluster added to your tactics Having them in a line is better than a cluster though if you ask me, that is how alot of real life tactics are done because it minimizes casualities. If you could put out another beta soon so I can see what you mean about the line that'd be good too, I'm fairly curious how you even got that to work since what I told you was purely theory lol.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    "Casanova" said:
    Were you running the game at 800x600? I guess that would be the reason for not being able to see what weapon was equiped. Maybe i should make an alternate version that uses graphics for lower resolutions.

The bar system is done is such a fashion that it should be possible to have different screen modes. Just set the bars that are shown in the right bottom corner of the screen to attach to that point, and it will automatically scale down with bigger and smaller screen modes.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    I've had major problems with the heal command. My suggestion is to not use any kind of direction and to simply make it omni-directional. It would seem everytime I tried getting healed they'd shoot off in some odd direction and i'd have to try and run into it lol. If it was omni-directional you'd just need to be close to them.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    I changed healing into an item that is droped by the medic, and other soldiers are healed if its nearby.

I was going to make the 3rd beta availible today, but as usual my luck didint let me. A hard drive failure corrupted items.dat, some of the graphics, and about every single program in my computer. Hopefully I will be able to rebuild it by this week.
    #
    AsdMaster 19 years ago
    I HAVE $2000 IN THE GAME BUT I CAN'T BUY WEAPONS CAN ANYBODY PLEASE TELL ME HOW
    THERE IS NO COMPUTER TO THE LEFT OF THE SCREEN TO CLICK ON
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "AsdMaster" said:
    It hasn't been added yet.
    #
    AsdMaster 19 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "AsdMaster" said:
    It hasn't been added yet.
    HOW CAN I ADD IT
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    I've been looking at your tank footsteps this morning. Some things that are totally unrelated that I found:
    1. You've got an extra semicolon in the end of your map.dat entries. This should cause crashing and various weird behaviour. I've fixed this in the game already so that it shouldn't freak out anymore. You can fix it easily by removing the semicolon from the end of each line.
    2. Doesn't the script 38 that calls script 38 end up in a loop? At least it does to me.
    #
    Grim Reaper 19 years ago
    Btw, AsdMaster, why are you typing in caps?
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    Found and fixed the footstep problem. It wasn't doing footstep speeds other than 1 correctly. I'll also make it so that it gives the angle of the creature to the footsteps so you can make the tracks more believable.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    "AsdMaster" said:

I forgot to add the vending machine on that version, but there will be several salesmen in the current version im working on.

Found and fixed the footstep problem. It wasn't doing footstep speeds other than 1 correctly. I'll also make it so that it gives the angle of the creature to the footsteps so you can make the tracks more believable.

Thanks for the help, Its going to look better this way.

There is one more thing with the tank I am trying to add, but isnt working right. I want the tank to be able to squish other creatures by constantly firing a shor-lived and invisible weapon, but the problem is that it fires it on the direction that the turret is facing. Could there be a way for it to fire in the direction the front of the body is facing?
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    It's sloppy by why not just do a radius ? It's believable enough that you'd get squashed no matter side you ran into anyways right ? So there's my two cents, and a peso for good will
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    It's sloppy by why not just do a radius ? It's believable enough that you'd get squashed no matter side you ran into anyways right ? So there's my two cents, and a peso for good will
    Ah, but a bug running into a vehicle moving the other direction shouldn't kill the bug, should it?
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Quanrian" said:
    Ah, but a bug running into a vehicle moving the other direction shouldn't kill the bug, should it?

Why wouldn't it kill it ? Either way it'd get sucked under the tracks right ? So it would matter if it came from the front, sides or back, it'd all end up with squashed bug
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    Either way it'd get sucked under the tracks right ?
    No it wouldn't. The vehicle is going to OTHER direction, so the bug would be more likely to get shot backwards than sucked under.
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    it wouldn't get shot backwards. its a tank. it would be squished.
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "Doogsy" said:
    it wouldn't get shot backwards. its a tank. it would be squished.

Look, the tracks are going in this direction:
     /-<-<-<-<-\
    | |
    \->->->->-/

The bug is coming from behind (the right).

Are you seriously suggesting that would harm the bug in any way?
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    "Casanova" said:
    There is one more thing with the tank I am trying to add, but isnt working right. I want the tank to be able to squish other creatures by constantly firing a shor-lived and invisible weapon, but the problem is that it fires it on the direction that the turret is facing. Could there be a way for it to fire in the direction the front of the body is facing?

I don't think there's a way to fire a weapon based on anything but the torso layer rotation.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Thats too bad, running things over was going to be fun . I guess I could make it fire all around, but that would make the tank inmune to melee creatures.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    "ville" said:
    "Casanova" said:

I don't think there's a way to fire a weapon based on anything but the torso layer rotation.

This would require another effect and/or changing the way weapons are fired in general. However it'd be easiest with an effect. Take the effect that attaches a light for example. It 'can' attach to different parts of the creature, simply modify it to fire a weapon from that layer using its facing and you could probably do what Casanova wants. However I don't see running creatures over being 'that' much fun simply because they will surround you, at least they always did for me. It wasn't as if they all ran at my front.
    #
    ForceUser 19 years ago
    Well atleast then you CAN go forward, I had a hell of a time when the ant's swarmed me and I couldn't move, had to use the flamethrower

ForceUser
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "ForceUser" said:
    Well atleast then you CAN go forward, I had a hell of a time when the ant's swarmed me and I couldn't move, had to use the flamethrower

ForceUser
    I just gunned them down with machinegun, takes less time for them to die.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    Well see that was kind of my whole point. I personally wouldn't find it fun trying to aim 'just' the front of my tank at a swarm of bugs. If the radius was fairly small they would still have to get close to be squashed so it would more than likely look as if you had run them over anyways. That way you could also back up over them. So what if they run to their doom ? To make sure the weapon wasn't being fired unless there was movement you could just set it to a quick key on the forwards and backwards key That way unless you're moving forward the collision detection wont happen. So while you can't check a creature's speed, you can at least check if the player is moving or not.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Using a quick-key to check if the player is moving doesnt work since the effect would only be run once for every time the key is pressed. But i got the same effect by constantly dropping small and short lived PO anc checking if the player is nearby.
    #
    AsdMaster 19 years ago
    How can I use/make money in the game
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    There is not way to make/use money on the second beta.

On the next beta the player can earn cash by completing missions, selling alien corpses to the VC base cheff (yum!), or bringing live specimens to the lab. Weapons/ammo/supplies can be bought at their respective shops.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    Just came to say that good work with the Mech! Got to love it...
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    About the mech, how can i get the lights to appear above the head? I already set its draw layer to 0, but the effects keep appearing below it.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    Sounds like another bug...

[edit]
    Not a bug, the lights apparently don't care much for layers. Sadly I can't add layer capability without breaking save game compatibility.
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "ville" said:
    Not a bug, the lights apparently don't care much for layers. Sadly I can't add layer capability without breaking save game compatibility.
    We don't care, Ville. Most of us have already beaten the game anyway.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Break older save games? Thats hardly a problem considering how useful more draw layers could be. So could you add it? plz plz plz?
    #
    eug1404 19 years ago
    I third breaking sace game compatibility, you've done it before and gotten no complaints .
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    Yeah, but it's a good excuse.
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "ville" said:
    Yeah, but it's a good excuse.
    Oooh, I'm going to hurt you, Ville...

That, or follow in Void's footsteps and draw a nasty cartoon about you...
    #
    Forum » Opposing Force
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: