Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Game Maker

Game Maker

James 11 years ago
Hey all,

I'm currently in the process of creating my very own game using Game Maker 8 Pro, after being inspired by Notrium a couple of years back. I've been fiddling around with learning the process since then and now finally I'm attempting to put my new found knowledge into use. This all said I'm still a major novice as far as game making goes.. I was just wondering who else here has experience in using Game maker?
I've got the basic skeleton of a game down and am now adding in the 'extra' features (extra features just being everything other then health, movement, etc haha). I have made a few basic games such as snake, brick-breaker, etc and the beginnings of a basic RPG during my research. Every now and again I run into problems that I can't seem to solve with reading through the forums, therefor I might need some help off you guys
I figure this is a great place to be asking such questions as Notrium is a major influence on my urge to make a game :p

Thanks in advance,
-James
#
ville 11 years ago
Any screenshots? I'd love to know more about your idea.
#
James 11 years ago
It's not much to look at at the moment, but maybe you can help me with my latest major dilemma.

As you can see it's a bit glitchy. The effect I'm trying to produce is to have it so the player can only see walls and objects in it's immediate area. Sort of like a line of sight. Problem is it doesn't quite look like that as you can see.

Here's a shot of the entire level (if you can call it a level at this stage). What I need it to do is just be able to view the room the player is in. So if a door is locked, you can't just see straight through the door and into the beyond.

Any ideas for solutions?

Also I will upload a short video of the game-play soon.
#
ville 11 years ago
That's a tricky one. The traditional way is to use a line of sight check. The most accurate one in the case of a grid would likely be Bresenham's, I don't know what Nethack for example uses, but it's likely something like that. If your objects aren't confined to a grid, such as they aren't in Driftmoon or Notrium, then it gets a little more complicated, and you need to do a bit of geometry to see whether lines obstruct other lines.
#
James 11 years ago
Game Maker doesn't appear to accept that algorithm I believe Game Maker uses a modified coding language, unique to itself GML.
I tried using coding as follows: (For object wall)

if collision_line(x,y,obj_player.x,obj_player.y,obj_wall,true,true)
{
visible=false
}
else
{
visible=true
}

As you can see in the images above it gives me limited luck. I think what I have here is a line of sight check of sorts, that's why I'm unsure of why it's not working?
#
Grim Reaper 11 years ago
James said:
Game Maker doesn't appear to accept that algorithm
Assuming you're talking about the pseudocode found in this article, did you first convert the algorithm into GML, or did you just try copy-pasting it? If the former, what sort of errors is Game Maker throwing about it?

Edited 11 years ago
#
Forum » Game Maker

Your email:
Your name: