• Notrium modding questions/answers

ville 19 years ago
    Well, welcome back Fuzzy.
    #
    AsdMaster 19 years ago
    I hate nights how can I make it that its always daytime
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    open climates.dat and change the setttings for light intensity, set all the min/max RGB values to 1.
    #
    B0rsuk 19 years ago
    I have multiple questions regarding "freezing" monsters.

I remember Ville said somewhere that amount of active monsters near player strongly depends on how many monsters are there. Could you give me more precise amounts ? Even if they're approximate...

Q1: In what distance from player should a creature be for it to be active ? (e.g. 1000-3000 depending on amount of creatures)

Q2: What happens to monsters while they are away from player ? Are all their functions frozen, or just some of them ? (timed block, death block, die after seconds, movement and attacks...)

Q3: How does exactly specialty 3 work ? Which functions are forcefully enabled all the time ?
    ----------

These questions are very important for my mod development. I use creatures as seed spawners. It turned out it works fine when player is not so far, but it doesn't seem to spread well (or at all) when player is away. The main limitation is not player being in same area, but "freezing monsters when away". Can it be partially or fully remedied by specialty 3 ? I tried using it but it's hard to say what it does exactly.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    How can I check that there is a certain number of an item droped near a plot object? I dont want to have to delete the items from the ground though.
    #
    B0rsuk 19 years ago
    35=must be distance parameter1 from item parameter0

You want to check for number of items, right ? What do you need it for ?
    The only way I can think of is... Think about coins. You have coins for 1, 2, 5 etc. Perhaps you could develop some kind of system for combining multiple items of same type into "5 packs" etc.

EDIT not exactly the only one. Another one would use this condition:

10=creature has eaten parameter0 eat items

Try making your plot_objects spawn a creature. Invisible creature, very fast etc, ideally it would be not noticeable for player at all. Then the creature would try to eat all your items lying on the ground.
    Then you use timed block. You need to develop details yourself, but it would be something like this, generally:
    AFTER FEW SECONDS {
    - if creature has eaten 1 eat item, DIE and drop 1 item.
    - if creature has eaten 2 eat items, DIE and drop 2 items.
    - if creature has eaten n eat items, DIE and drop n items.
    - if creature has eaten sufficient amount of items , DIE, don't drop items, run some scripts/effects. }
    #
    Grim Reaper 19 years ago
    Is it possible to make player instantly hop to a spot relative to the player's previous position (e.g. make him hop 5 pixels west/left) when a key is pressed?

Is it possible to have multible attributes, skills etc. that the player can choose from, like in Nethack and ADOM?

Is it possible to make the creatures be still while player isn't moving?

Is it possible to randomize a tile where an event occurs, and keep randomizing it in game?

Is it possible to make pop-up windows other than journal?
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    "B0rsuk" said:
    Q1: In what distance from player should a creature be for it to be active ? (e.g. 1000-3000 depending on amount of creatures)

Distance matters not, only the amount of enemy creatures near to the player.

"B0rsuk" said:
    Q2: What happens to monsters while they are away from player ? Are all their functions frozen, or just some of them ? (timed block, death block, die after seconds, movement and attacks...)

They're essentially frozen, they cannot move or fire weapons, I don't think the timed block works for them either. They'll still be damaged as normal.

"B0rsuk" said:
    Q3: How does exactly specialty 3 work ? Which functions are forcefully enabled all the time ?

When using specialty 3 everything is done to the creature as if it were next to you.

"B0rsuk" said:
    These questions are very important for my mod development. I use creatures as seed spawners. It turned out it works fine when player is not so far, but it doesn't seem to spread well (or at all) when player is away. The main limitation is not player being in same area, but "freezing monsters when away". Can it be partially or fully remedied by specialty 3 ? I tried using it but it's hard to say what it does exactly.

It should work perfectly if you use the specialty.

"Casanova" said:
    How can I check that there is a certain number of an item droped near a plot object? I dont want to have to delete the items from the ground though.

As far as I know, there's no way to do that.

"Grim Reaper" said:
    Is it possible to make player instantly hop to a spot relative to the player's previous position (e.g. make him hop 5 pixels west/left) when a key is pressed?

Not unless you create a new creature there and give the player full control over it. I don't recall what happens to the original player though.

"Grim Reaper" said:

I think it is, if you put in a long enough message in the plot_object event text, it will show it as a popup.
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "ville" said:
    "Grim Reaper" said:

Not unless you create a new creature there and give the player full control over it. I don't recall what happens to the original player though.
    I do. I once tried to make it so that the player could possess an enemy without making the enemy carry the player, but then the "default AI" of the player's creature made it go running off, taking my view with it. You'd have to set the camera to follow the creature as well. Also, this would be a really inefficient method of moving relative to player's position.
    #
    B0rsuk 19 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:

(how to move x pixels)
    Push Creature effect should work fine, more or less. I hope it will work for you. You'd have to adjust push force for each creature, or make them have same weight. Push in absolute direction for player. Use some items for that with hotkeys.
    Pushing creatures this way can be tricky ! The best I can come up with would be making them have fake ranged weapon with negative knockback, just like reaper's weapon. And use it from long range. So if a monster would see player, it would try to attack, resuting in being pulled to player.
    To make monster escape, you'd need to change it to one with positive knockback, or use some kind of timed block to make it fire positve knockback weapon in direction of player AND prevent negative weapon from being used.
    It should work to a degree.

"Grim Reaper" said:

Is it possible to have multible attributes, skills etc. that the player can choose from, like in Nethack and ADOM?

Skill/atribute is what you believe it to be. Some attributes are possible, for example changing walking speed (effect 0).

In my opinion a skill would simply be an item/script which you gain at certain point.
    For choosing skills you may check Werivar mod, I believe it has some choosing implemented. Otherwise here goes my suggestion: at "level up" you give player 10 or so "skill items". Best done in separate inventory so they're not confused with items. When you use one of the "skill choice tems", all of them are removed and player gains another item corresponding to one chosen. And probably certain script is enabled when it detect the item in your inventory.
    And yes, it is possible to implement skills which have 100 or more levels like in ADOM. You'd have to use few bars for that, and make sure they're updated once in a while. What kind of skill do you need ? Weapon damage increase ? Resistance to certain weapons only ?

Let's say you are going to make a skill which, initially, increases damge dealt with certain weapon by 20%. You don't need separate weapon/script for each such boost ! You can do it as follows: player should have a "base weapon damage" bar. Next make sure that when player wields the weapon, that bar is first set to 0 and then to value same as damage dealt by your weapon. Then you need to multiply this bar "base weapon damage" by "damage mutliplier" bar. For 20% increase you need "damage multiplier" to be 0.2.
    So now "base weapon damage" bar is actually set at 20% of base damage for currently wielded weapon. Now you need to increase weapon damage by this value.
    Use new fancy effect "add player's bar to creature's bar" - in player weapon's hit effect block. You want to add "base weapon damage" (now 20% base damage) to creature's health bar. There's one missing thing, hower - you'd like to substract more health, right ? So you should somehow change sign of "base weapon damage" bar value to negative and then add it. Or you can simply make player start with say... "damage multiplier" bar at 0.5 and as player increases in skill, reduce the multiplier. (to compensate).

Sorry I have little time recently so I can't code it right now, but the concept should work. If I didn' make myself clear, I can try explain better. Just let me know.

For ADOM-like skills which need to be activated and have about 100 or so levels possible, try creating one bar to hold skill value. Then make a copy of it (temporary), and use a script on it:
    if bar is > 0, reduce bar by 1 and if random integer between 0 and 100 (1% chance per each point of skill) use the skill AND make the script run itself again. Literally itself, with 29 effect (I think). But it shouldn't run without calling.
    So for bar value of 80 you would get (I simplify calculations a bit) 80 chances (1%) of succesfully using skill.

You should somehow make sure that the skill can't be used more than once in one "FOR loop for Notrium"

Is it possible to make the creatures be still while player isn't moving?
    The most foolproof solution would be to insert speed reduction effect into creature's timed block, and make it last as long as player has certain item/bar value.

To check if player is moving or not, this could be tricky but it can be done. I do not guarantee that results will be very precise. Make player spawn invisible Distance Mark plot_objects at very short intervals. Make them self-destruct after short time. The idea is that if player is standing still, he is always close to last spawned Distance Mark. If he's walking, he probably will be far away from Distance Mark at least for short time. You should then check distance from last distance mark and set some kind of bar accordingly. Then if that bar is at certain value, creatures are slowed down by timed block.

WAIT ! These ideas can go well together, but not if you're going to create a roguelike. To freeze monsters and everything else, try using Time Distortion effect. Like in alien rage. And if player presses a key, he is pushed and for an instant time is unfrozen.

Is it possible to randomize a tile where an event occurs, and keep randomizing it in game?

The suggestion you received before from someone else (plot_object) is quite good, and, what's important, foolproof because plot_objects work even when player is on another map.
    You could also use creatures with specialty 3, but they're placed by plot objects anyway. And they dont't work if player is on another map. Same can be done with plot_objects, basically, and condition "player is in area", I think.
    #
    B0rsuk 19 years ago
    You don't need to transfer camera when creature picks up player. I'm 100% sure. My mod works like that.

You only need to transer camera when you transfer control.
    #
    Marevix 19 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:

Yes, for the most part. Check the levelling and special skills system in Werivar, as B0rsuk mentioned.

A new question- can a second inventory be brought up with a quick key like the first inventory can? I'm thinking of suggesting putting the level up items in a different inventory in Uberwaffe's Werivar mod.
    #
    B0rsuk 19 years ago
    "Marevix" said:

A new question- can a second inventory be brought up with a quick key like the first inventory can? I'm thinking of suggesting putting the level up items in a different inventory in Uberwaffe's Werivar mod.

Why not, if first inventory works exactly this way ? I think creating an item with "set active inventory to" , followed by "open inventory blah" in effects block wold would work.
    Effects aren't executed perfectly simultaneously. I have drop creature and creature pickups player in same item in same effect block, and it works even if there shouldn't be any creature at that point. Order matters.
    #
    erendor 19 years ago
    "B0rsuk" said:
    "Marevix" said:

Why not, if first inventory works exactly this way ? I think creating an item with "set active inventory to" , followed by "open inventory blah" in effects block wold would work.
    Effects aren't executed perfectly simultaneously. I have drop creature and creature pickups player in same item in same effect block, and it works even if there shouldn't be any creature at that point. Order matters.

I think there's an explanation on how to do this in the Notrium Modding Library thread.
    #
    slipfuzzy 19 years ago
    How do i remove the opening escape pod sequence from the default game? If this has been answered already, please direct me to the answer.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    Just change the start location of the player in player_races.dat to either the escape pod inside (area ?), or the outside (area 11).
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "ville" said:
    Just change the start location of the player in player_races.dat to either the escape pod inside (area ?), or the outside (area 11).
    I recommend inside, otherwise you won't get the starting items for non-psionic races.
    #
    B0rsuk 19 years ago
    Is there any way I can make equiping weapons via wheel/e
    work just like Using the item ? It annoys me quite a lot. I use draw sword sound, and it plays only when equipped in inventory.

Is there any way I can make weapon scrolling use effect/condition block in general ?
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    No, it's very hard coded, and cannot be changed much.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    "B0rsuk" said:
    Is there any way I can make equiping weapons via wheel/e
    work just like Using the item ? It annoys me quite a lot. I use draw sword sound, and it plays only when equipped in inventory.

Is there any way I can make weapon scrolling use effect/condition block in general ?

How about giving setting the item to use a 'wield script" ? The script would play a sound and have some sort of condition so that is only done once.
    #
    White Bear 19 years ago
    hmm.. i was thinking about GTA mod but is it posible to make creatures like people to die (lose lots of health) when car hits to it... like colison checker

and can i make routs to creatures like cars
    #
    B0rsuk 19 years ago
    Am I right that effect 66 always shoots in fixed direction (unless you make it fire another weapon) ?

It disappointed me a bit, because if it was shooting at mouse location by default, you could go crazy with vehicles and turrets. For example I could make a mech, and make it fire lasers from left side. But they will go straight. It would be cool if they targeted mouse location.

Fixed direction shooting can be done anyway if you shoot a weapon with effect 66, and then that weapon will fire in fixed direction using effect 24 for example. Could it be made to shoot at mouse location by default ?

Or perhaps add two new shooting directions for directional firing effects: shoot at mouse location; shoot at player.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    I simply ran out of parameters for effect 66, so I couldn't include the normal aiming parameters.
    #
    B0rsuk 19 years ago
    What is the rate at which monsters gain anger when player is in view ? Is it constant or variable ?
    If variable, what does it depend on? Distance, see range... ?

I'm thinking about hide in shadow ability for thief. And it would be nice to know what the rate is, so I don't compensate too much.
    #
    NOSBoi 19 years ago
    sry now can u Help pls
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "B0rsuk" said:
    What is the rate at which monsters gain anger when player is in view ? Is it constant or variable ?

I'm thinking about hide in shadow ability for thief. And it would be nice to know what the rate is, so I don't compensate too much.
    I think that monsters only gain anger when a weapon fires, but they will also attack a player if he walks right in front of them. Could be that it has an anger value too. Guess we'll have to wait for Ville to answer.
    #
    NOSBoi 19 years ago
    Hello sry bout b4 i need help i no how to make maps but not include them in the actual game pls help som1!!!!
    #
    Marevix 19 years ago
    Step 1. Create a new map entry in areas.dat. 2. Put it in the game in maps.dat. 3. Go into map editor and place whatever you want in it.

The easiest way to handle areas.dat is to copy and paste another area, change it's id and such, and then tailor it to your needs. I don't have time to explain maps.dat at the moment, but I'm sure Casanova will waltz in and explain it for you (considering how he's been helping newbie modders for the past couple of days).
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    "B0rsuk" said:

It's rather complex. The aliens use both their ears and their eyes. Eyes are only used when the alien can see the player, ears are always available. Then it depends on how near the player or any other enemy is, the anger increase is progressive. The closer you are, the angrier it gets.
    #
    The Gemini 19 years ago
    Im working on a little mod, and I wanted to use the object definitions from the original game. But now, the mod wont start!
    I've used the barebones. All i have done is copying the objects and terrain textures. There is another problem too, when I try to select the shuttle, the closed and opened door to place them, the game closes it self!
    Please help
    #
    Marevix 19 years ago
    Well, if you don't tell us what objects you copied (items? plot objects?) and whether you're using them or not, we'll never know how to help you. We also can't help you if we don't know what you're talking about when you're speaking of a shuttle. We're not you, we don't know what you know, and we haven't played your mod. Either post the bugged mod, or give us more detail.
    #
    The Gemini 19 years ago
    never mind, I start a new one, i had not come far in the moding, so it does'nt matter.
    (I admit it, I'm lazy, and I don't know much when it comes to modding)
    #
    NOSBoi 19 years ago
    ok can som1 explain da maps.dat now
    #
    erendor 19 years ago
    I have a problem here. My Fire Alien creature doesn't shoot a ranged weapon(fireball) properly. Instead, it walks within range of the player, and looks at them. Code follows:\

Fire Alien:
      Fire Alien;//name
    8;//id
    0;//class
    firealien.png;//texture name
    1;//draw layer
    -1;//corpse item
    1;//corpse item amount
    0;//attack type
    26;//particle to show on radar
    0;//primary ai
    5;//secondary ai
    3;//footstep particle
    0;//die after how many secs
    -1;//eat item
    1.300000;//creature size
    1.500000;//creature weight
    0.500000;//maximum movement speed
    0.000000;//minimum movement speed
    1.000000;//leg animation speed
    1.000000;//turn speed
    1.000000;//inertia level (acceleration/deceleration)
    1;//hide when behind walls
    12;//weapon number
    0.000000;//weapon_x
    0.000000;//weapon_y
    0;//blood particle
    1;//bars visible when player hovers mouse on top
    1.000000;//death animation speed
    1;//creature can move from area to another
    1000.000000;//AI hear range
    500.000000;//AI see range
    4.000000;//AI see angle
    begin_footstep_sounds
    step_a0.wav;//footstep sound
    step_a1.wav;//footstep sound
    step_a2.wav;//footstep sound
    end_footstep_sounds
    begin_hit_sounds
    groan0.wav;//hit sound
    groan1.wav;//hit sound
    groan2.wav;//hit sound
    end_hit_sounds
    begin_die_sounds
    groan0.wav;//die sound
    groan1.wav;//die sound
    groan2.wav;//die sound
    end_die_sounds
    begin_eat_block
    end_eat_block
    begin_death_block
    end_death_block
    begin_hit_block
    end_hit_block
    begin_timed_block
    end_timed_block
    begin_specialties
    ;//description
    0;//number
    0.000000;//parameter0
    0.000000;//parameter1
    500.000000;//parameter2
    500.000000;//parameter3
    end_specialties

Fireball:

Weak Fireball;//name---------------------------------------
    12;//identifier
    0;//class
    qfbullet.png;//bullet texture
    1;//bullets at one shot
    0;//stop at hit 0=stop where hit, 1=don't stop
    3.000000;//bullet size
    0.000000;//spread
    1.000000;//bullet speed
    300.000000;//time until bullet disappears
    500;//fire rate
    0;//trace 0=no trace, 1=blue beam, 2=bullet trace, 3=red beam, 4=green beam, 5=yellow beam
    -1;//hit visual effect colour, -1=nothing 0=?, 1=red, 2=green, 3=blue
    12;//hit visual effect particle, -1=nothing, 0=>particle from particles.dat
    fire.wav;//hit effect sound
    0.000000;//push target back
    0.000000;//push shooter back
    fire.wav;//fire sound
    claws0.wav;//hit sound
    1.000000;//AI hear volume, the amount of anger the AI gets when it hears the weapon
    begin_wield_conditions;
    end_wield_conditions;
    begin_fire_effects;
    4;//effect number
    -2.00000;//parameter1
    1.000000;//parameter2
    4.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    end_fire_effects;
    begin_hit_effects;
    4;//effect number
    -40.000000;//parameter1
    0.000000;//parameter2
    0.000000;//parameter3
    0.000000;//parameter4
    end_hit_effects;

Any help would be great
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Im guessing it has to do with the short time the bullet lasts. A bullet that lasts 300ms and has a speed of 1 wont go very far. Or it mught be a problem with whatever settings AI type 0 has.
    #
    Forum » Notrium modding questions/answers
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: