Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Notrium modding questions/answers
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Notrium modding questions/answers

Darkdude 18 years ago
    This problem only happens with new maps, I think I'm missing something when I make the maps
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    By adding them to terrain.dat or whatever.

So it doesn't use areas.dat at all then, eh? Hmm...
    #
    Inane 18 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    "MageKing17" said:
    So it doesn't use areas.dat at all then, eh? Hmm...
    The map editor manages almost all of the aspects of terrain_maps.dat, which allow you to create new areas.
    Areas.dat contains all the data that can't be changed in the map editor. Like weather, aliens, and randomized terrain.

The only reason you'll ever go into terrain_maps.dat is to change the name of a place.
    #
    Inane 18 years ago
    Okay, I can't figure out how to make a item spawn in a random location.
    I thought about having it so it would spawn in a large random area using Parameter 3 on effect 3, but then, wouldn't it likely spawn out of bounds on smaller areas?
    And, the plot object I have is just the Long Metal Rod plot object changed to work as my new item, but it seems to spawn wherever I place the plot object.

Could you have it be in a random area of a select few by putting a maximum amount of the plot objects and placing a few?
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    "Inane" said:
    Okay, I can't figure out how to make a item spawn in a random location.
    I thought about having it so it would spawn in a large random area using Parameter 3 on effect 3, but then, wouldn't it likely spawn out of bounds on smaller areas?
    The thing you do is you have an invisable plot object that spawns the object you want spawn in a certain radius around it. Then you place that where it would be feasible for the said item to spawn (I.E. not over lava).

"Inane" said:
    And, the plot object I have is just the Long Metal Rod plot object changed to work as my new item, but it seems to spawn wherever I place the plot object.
    Could you explain more?
    #
    Inane 18 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Inane" said:
    Could you explain more?

I just copied the plot object 'long metal rod''s code, and assumed that that would spawn a metal rod in a random spot on the map, but it seems to put it right where the plot object is.

Edit: Oh hey, would it be possible to make a script that spawns it on any terrain except for lava and blackness?
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    "Inane" said:
    Edit: Oh hey, would it be possible to make a script that spawns it on any terrain except for lava and blackness?
    I really don't know. The method I mentioned earlier is the only method I know of. You'll have to hope someone with more experience will have the answer you're looking for.
    #
    Inane 18 years ago
    Well, thanks for the help, MK.
    #
    Inane 18 years ago
    So, I been looking at the game, and I realize that ALOT of items are put in random places, so I done some lookin, but I can't figure out how.

I figure if i figure out how the items that are already in the game are randomly spawned, I can recreate that.

Anybody know anything on this subject?

Figure Figure Configure.
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    "Inane" said:
    So, I been looking at the game, and I realize that ALOT of items are put in random places, so I done some lookin, but I can't figure out how.

I figure if i figure out how the items that are already in the game are randomly spawned, I can recreate that.

Anybody know anything on this subject?

Figure Figure Configure.
    Those items only spawn once as prt of their areas.dat entry.
    #
    Inane 18 years ago
    A little more detail?

I don't see anything areas.dat about random item spawnings, nor in terrain_types.dat or climate_types.dat.

#
    Anonymous1157 18 years ago
    I didnt quite understand what you wanted, but have you tried putting "no random object" tags on the black areas?
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    I didnt quite understand what you wanted, but have you tried putting "no random object" tags on the black areas?

He wants to know how to make random objects, not to disable them.
    #
    I had controlling in mind, not disabling.
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    I had controlling in mind, not disabling.

I'd think he'd first need to know how to use them...
    #
    Point taken, what the hell do we do now?
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    Point taken, what the hell do we do now?

Quit replying to each other and wait for someone to ask a question.
    #
    Darkdude 18 years ago
    I have a question When i make a new map on notrium and then add it to areas.dat it stops the game from booting up
    #
    Inane 18 years ago
    "That guy" said:
    I have a question When i make a new map on notrium and then add it to areas.dat it stops the game from booting up

The first thing you need to do while ironing out crashin' bugs it to search for blank spaces before end_of_file;.
    Having any blank lines will cause the mod to, well, not run.

Next step is to look at all identifiers of new stuff, make sure the map number is right and the area identifier isn't used by any others.

Now, look at all the blocks in areas.dat and make sure it has all the blocks and lines in the same order as the previous map. Also, areas is the only file where the identifier comes before the name, so watch out for that.
    #
    Darkdude 18 years ago
    thanks that got it working
    #
    Moxsen 18 years ago
    My missile is still not working

It flies after the enemies and blows himself up but the enemy doesnt get any damage. ive tried using the normal missile and just changing the weapon number. But it still doesnt work.
    #
    Darkdude 18 years ago
    what code have you used?
    also, can someone tell me where to get Gimp graphics thingy?
    #
    Crazy 18 years ago
    try google...

It oughta show up first...
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    Personally, I don't like GIMP. I prefer Paint.NET, which is another free GFX editing app.
    #
    ... And I perfer Fireworks. Did you guys know that Fireworks supports Photoshop plugins? It's so cool!
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    If we go to actually DRAWING stuff, I prefer Flash 8 Pro.
    #
    I still prefer Fireworks in that case. We should stop before Idiota comes.
    #
    Moxsen 18 years ago
    It'd be safest thhat way yes

I've been using the original "Creature-dropping-creature-firing-a-weapon-and-then-dies" thingy and just copying the code, swithcing the weapon number of the last creaure to my own bomb.
    But it wont do any damage to the enemys, although the missile does blow up and die.

I ve changed every identifier tag on the crearures and the weapons but i might have missed some identifiers.
    If i change the weapon to the old missile it works but my new "copied" missile doesnt hurt them.

happy for answers.
    #
    Crazy 18 years ago
    well im speechless...
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    "Moxsen" said:
    It'd be safest thhat way yes

I've been using the original "Creature-dropping-creature-firing-a-weapon-and-then-dies" thingy and just copying the code, swithcing the weapon number of the last creaure to my own bomb.
    But it wont do any damage to the enemys, although the missile does blow up and die.

I ve changed every identifier tag on the crearures and the weapons but i might have missed some identifiers.
    If i change the weapon to the old missile it works but my new "copied" missile doesnt hurt them.

happy for answers.
    How did you make your own bomb? If you copied it straight, then I've got no solution for you, but if you didn't, then you might be having problems with the speed/lifetime of the weapon, with one or both being too small to effect the target.
    #
    Darkdude 18 years ago
    Try copying the code from the original weapon and increasing damage and blast radius
    or try weapons.txt
    #
    Inane 18 years ago
    I need help with some enemies.

I need my enemy to turn it's head towards the player, and preferably even fire towards them.

I know I can use the timed interval for the turret shooting (head is turret) if I have too. But, how do I get it to point it's head towards the player while it's moving a different direction?
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    It's not possible. The head on an enemy is always facing forward (the direction of movement).
    #
    Inane 18 years ago
    Damn. Well, thanks MK.
    #
    Inane 18 years ago
    (2 day difference from the last post)

Is there any way to disable a bar? Like, make it dissappear completely while the player is transformed into a different player race?
    #
    Forum » Notrium modding questions/answers
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: