Register
Email: Password:
Forum » How was Notrium made?

How was Notrium made?

James 11 years ago
Hey all,

I would like to start off by saying congratulations on creating such wonderfully addictive games!! I specifically love the survival based item crafting of Notrium

I'm an amateur as far as game programing goes, but am very enthusiastic to learn. I have made a handful of quite basic games such as brick-breaker, snake, etc as well as the beginnings of a RPG survival (using Game Maker and 3D Rad). I would be ecstatic to learn how you went about making Notrium and would be extremely appreciative if you would do me the honor of teaching me how to create a game of it's stature.

Regards,
-James
#
ville 11 years ago
Thanks for the kind words!

Notrium and Driftmoon have both been made by the old-fashioned way, just programming in C++. These days I always tell people interested in game development to try a ready-made engine, such as Game Maker, Unity, or our very own Driftmoon engine. Unity gives many of the basic things you'd otherwise have to program yourself, and Driftmoon goes a bit further to provide a nice RPG framework, if you can live with the limitations.

But the important thing is, that both allow you to make your game without getting into the hassle of low-level programming, which only detracts from what you're supposed to be doing. I think you're already on the right track, the only thing you need to do is get a great idea for a game, and make it happen! (And try to keep the development time under 7 years, I heartily recommend that)
#
James 11 years ago
Thanks for a quick response
I think I will continue to use Game Maker as you suggest, C++ is a complicated language. As far as ideas go, I guess the story will unfold as I press forward
Hopefully it will take me a lot less then 7 years (for this game anyway). I assume that's how long Driftmoon has taken??

Thanks again,
#
ville 11 years ago
This post from 2009 might give you an insight into how long it's taken.

[update] Looking back at the thoughts I had written, I noticed my friend Mika had commented that he had taken my advice to heart. In retrospect, it was great advice, because the very next project he did, he spent very little time on, at least initially. And he made a fortune with it. So you might want to take a double helping of my advice in that article, it's apparently the correct way to get money in the game business.

Edited 11 years ago
#
James 11 years ago
There was definitely some very interesting points in that article. Visions of how the game will end up and making the levels flow to keep the player interested are most certainly completely different.
You should build on Notrium, even make a Notrium 2 as mentioned in your article. It is a very unique game and one of my favorites (that's saying a lot, considering how many games I have played haha). In fact Notrium was the first game that truly inspired me to make my own
#
Forum » How was Notrium made?

Your email:
Your name: