Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Zombies

Zombies

Redemption 14 years ago
So, I decided to make a mini mod using the Driftmoon preview version and ended up with zombies.

No betas or screenshots here, though, because I've already finished the thing.

Anyway, here's some of the things I put into the mod:

... Guns. With ammo. You'll start out completely unarmed and will need to find a weapon. Ammo is fairly scarce so you'll have to search for that too.

... Zombies. One hit will take 'em down, but you don't have that much health either. You should be fine so long as you don't get swarmed or snuck up on.

... One map. Yep, just one. You're in a small town that's been overrun by zombies. And by small town I mean a REALLY small town. It was originally gonna be one single map that was absolutely filled, but I hit an engine limitation* and had to stop sooner than I'd expected.

How to play:
Install the mod. Unzip to the Driftmoon directory and change options.ini to have the line "Mod=redZombMod" so the mod is loaded.
Choose the day or night map. Items and enemies are placed exactly the same in bpth maps, the only difference is illumination. The night map should be harder as zombies have a chance to sneak up on you (Holding down CTRL to avoid this defeats the point of this, though, so try to resist the urge).

Tips:
Agility and Constitution are the only attributes that matter. Ignore the others.
The best way to get health back is to level up. You can use health packs if you need to or just wait for regeneration to kick in, but health packs are scarce and regeneration really slow.
The zombies should keep spawning endlessly. In theory. The spawners may stop working after a while though, I'm not sure why.
There is nothing outside of the town. At all. If you run away you'll just hit the edge of the map and get stuck. My attempt at a moat crashed for some reason, so there's nothing acutally stopping you from fleeing but the fact that there's nothing to flee to.
You'll need to equip guns twice for them to work. The engine didn't like it when I made them have ammo and I had to find a work around to avoid infinite ammo. I got it in a working state, but it is still a little weird. The animations for guns are odd and only get worse if you run out of ammo.
Don't forget to save.

Anyways, download link.

I've also included all the bugs and crashes I found while making the mod in a text file in the zip.

------
*Editor would crash whenever I tried to add more terrain vertices. I'm guessing I hit a limit to the amount allowed in a single map. I kind of expected to hit some kind of map limit before the town reached full size, though, so it wasn't completely off putting. Plus, you get to see the mod a lot sooner.
#
ville 14 years ago
You're certainly persistent, what with all of the crashing the editor does right now.
For some reason the zombies couldn't harm me and I couldn't harm them. But I liked to stroll around running away from them.

Thanks for the bug list! There shouldn't be any hard vertex limit on a map, it could be some limitation in the physics engine. I'll have to check on that, but I've managed to create absurdly large amounts of vertices and objects, and the engine should be able to handle it. But I'll check on that for a later version.
#
Pete 14 years ago
Argh stop being slightly ahead of me all the time!

On the other hand it does give me motivation to go back to that mod I didnt touch for over a week now.
#
Redemption 14 years ago
"ville" said:
You're certainly persistent, what with all of the crashing the editor does right now.
Yeah, I kinda figured out after a while what would crash it and what was safe. The most annoying crash happened sometimes, seemingly randomly, when I used the test map function. Still, I found a way to avoid that (re-open Driftmoon, load editor_run, test map, expect chance of crashing when returning to editor).
"ville" said:
For some reason the zombies couldn't harm me and I couldn't harm them. But I liked to stroll around running away from them.
You can easily outrun them (despite them being faster than you, AI seems to slow them down when they get near you), but you should still be able to attack them if you want to. I'm guessing they can't hit you because this was made with the preview version and you're using something better.
"Pete" said:
Argh stop being slightly ahead of me all the time!
:p
#
ville 14 years ago
For the new combat I've changed how fast most opponents are, now you're quite likely to get swarmed by enemies if you just keep on running away from them.
#
Forum » Zombies

Your email:
Your name: