Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Your worst game experiences and flops?
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Your worst game experiences and flops?

Death Knight 12 years ago
    ville said:
    That would be it then. I consider myself an ex hardcore gamer, I used to play Baldur's Gate 2 without any of the companions, beating all the dragons. But I'd much rather spend (most of) my free time with my wife&kids than with dragons these days, so I'm liking short games more and more...

Just beat avadon and i must say, jeff's best game to date. Geneforge series is great, but avadon is just awesome. Ville you should give this game a try as its interface is a bit more easy to use compared to other experiences. The bows/javelins/razordisks and all ranged weapons dont have a set amount, they are always refilled, something that would have been cool in his other games. The classes are whats really cool. I played as a blademaster, supposedly the set melee class, yet i never used melee once. I instead used a bow with blessings/curses which was kind of cool as i would have thought you only can play him as a tank. The story was what got me. I played avernum escape from the pit only to get bored into wanting to beat avadon.
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    Death Knight said:
    Actually i got to level 25 with a nord in morrowind. [...] I stopped playing as my nord with his battleaxe could kill most enemies in 1 to 2 shots. [...] My nord had 100 strength, 100 endurance and 80 agility because i found a way to level fast. The problem with that, is that i couldnt have fun because if i didnt do the powergame leveling that i did, i wouldnt be able to kill anything as the enemies would get stronger than me.
    ...Except for the slight problem that Morrowind didn't have a system to level NPCs, so the only thing that changes as you level up is higher-level enemies and loot start appearing.

Death Knight said:
    I have not played skyrim but knowing bethesda, they havent changed this major flaw. Not worth my time.
    ...Except for the fact that Oblivion was the only game with said flaw, as it was fixed for Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, and Skyrim follows their lead in that regard. Also, three words: Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul.

(And some more words: Galsiah's Character Development for Morrowind, and Not Galsiah's Character Development for Oblivion. Skyrim doesn't need a leveling mod because Skyrim's system is sane.)
    #
    Death Knight 12 years ago
    You seem to know a great deal about mods. Would you by chance know of any that add some form of quick travel to morrowind? The game itself is gigantic, though not as large as daggerfall. Daggerfall was huge, i read on wikipedia that the game world was bigger than the country of england. I dont know if that supposed fact is true, but knowing how big bethesda makes their games, it might be. My biggest problem was that there was no quick travel other than the silt striders in morrowind. Besides that, i still think that morrowind was my favorite. Still surprised that skyrim didnt follow what oblivion did (shows how much i know ). I even heard that skyrim had a perk system. They're definitely learning from working with fallout

Edited 12 years ago
    #
    Grim Reaper 12 years ago
    Death Knight said:
    Would you by chance know of any that add some form of quick travel to morrowind?
    I for one recall using such a mod when I played Morrowind. Not 100% sure, but I'm guessing it was this one.
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    Death Knight said:
    My biggest problem was that there was no quick travel other than the silt striders in morrowind.
    Between the silt striders, the boats, and the guild guides, traveling all over Vvardenfell merely requires sufficient coin.

Death Knight said:
    Still surprised that skyrim didnt follow what oblivion did (shows how much i know ). I even heard that skyrim had a perk system. They're definitely learning from working with fallout
    The perks are definitely interesting. There's a conjuration perk, for instance, that grants bound weaponry the ability to trap souls, banish Daedra, and dispel summons; there's an enchanting perk that makes finishing moves absorb 10% of the creature's soul directly into the weapon; and there's a single-handed perk that allows you to decapitate enemies with standing power attacks. Every single skill has its own perk tree. Some of these are somewhat boring (smithing perks just unlock new materials, except for the one that allows improvement of enchanted items), while others have a variety of wacky effects (there's a restoration perk that allows you to, once a day, get a sudden influx of 200 health if you drop below 10%).

By far the coolest things I've found in Skyrim are the master-level spells, which require your skill level to be too high for the master-level trainers to train you any further (which I think is 90 or 95), and then they give you a quest to learn a master-level spell. For instance, there's a master-level conjuration spell that raises the dead permanently, and a master-level destruction spell that allows you to continuously channel a massive beam of lightning (which kills Dragons dead right quick, let me tell you).

Oh, how I wish spellmaking was in Skyrim... heard plenty of rumours that the first DLC is going to add it, however.

Grim Reaper said:
    Death Knight said:
    Would you by chance know of any that add some form of quick travel to morrowind?
    I for one recall using such a mod when I played Morrowind. Not 100% sure, but I'm guessing it was this one.
    Now that mod looks interesting. I may have to install that one.

Edited 12 years ago
    #
    Yu 12 years ago
    As for my worst game expieriences, some of those were connected to my current notebooks keyboard not being exactly built for gaming: Key Ghosting!

Sometimes games require you to press a combination of three (or more) buttons. Bad luck, if there is a ghosting effect on that combination.

Playing Cave Story+ (which I consider, by all means, a great retro-style game), I find that I can't shoot/jump upwards or downwards while using the cursor keys for movement: No matter what keys I assigned for shooting, pressing a combination of [Up]/[Down] with (depending on the keys assigned for shooting/jumping) [Left] or [Right], there would always occur ghosting on my keyboard (which otherwise is just great). I tried WASD controls (which solves the problem), but somehow it felt so artificial to me, that I would run into every trap.

----------------------------

As for WASD-controls: Actually I felt those to be the most "natural" controls I ever used, combined with the mouse based turning of direction of looking, i.e. holding the right button turning the controls into those of a modern first person shooter, including reassigning the keys for "turning" to "strafing", while the mouse button is pressed:

* while not using the mouse to rotate, "turning"
                is the main purpose of my using of they
                movement keys.
          * while using the mouse to rotate, "turning" with
                keys turns pointless, but strafing is still
                required.

As [A],[D] are reached with less strain to my fingers than [Q],[E], this temporary reassignment perfectly makes sense for me.

----------------------------------

As for Arcanum: It took me several evenings to get out of the first town, because I just the character editor so much Anyway, I found the game generally interesting, except for repairing turning into something genuinly annoying once for the companions, as I found no way to repair their equipment without first undressing them (whereas my own equipment could be repaired directly, without any undressing and shifting items around inventories). A flaw which, by the way, seems to be shared by "Fallout: New Vegas" at least.
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    Yu said:
    As for my worst game expieriences, some of those were connected to my current notebooks keyboard not being exactly built for gaming: Key Ghosting!

Sometimes games require you to press a combination of three (or more) buttons. Bad luck, if there is a ghosting effect on that combination.

Playing Cave Story+ (which I consider, by all means, a great retro-style game), I find that I can't shoot/jump upwards or downwards while using the cursor keys for movement: No matter what keys I assigned for shooting, pressing a combination of [Up]/[Down] with (depending on the keys assigned for shooting/jumping) [Left] or [Right], there would always occur ghosting on my keyboard (which otherwise is just great). I tried WASD controls (which solves the problem), but somehow it felt so artificial to me, that I would run into every trap.
    It sounds like the keys you need to remap are jumping and shooting, not movement. I don't remember if Cave Story+ lets you change those keys; if not, there are applications out there that can remap input in the background.

Yu said:
    As for Arcanum: It took me several evenings to get out of the first town, because I just the character editor so much Anyway, I found the game generally interesting, except for repairing turning into something genuinly annoying once for the companions, as I found no way to repair their equipment without first undressing them (whereas my own equipment could be repaired directly, without any undressing and shifting items around inventories). A flaw which, by the way, seems to be shared by "Fallout: New Vegas" at least.
    I don't give companions equipment that needs to be repaired in Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. Their default infinite-ammo weaponry is usually plenty to get the job done.
    #
    DK (guest) 12 years ago
    been playing morrowind and now that i know that i dont have to powergame, its loads of fun. This might not be a bad game experience (for thread) but i thought id just mention it. Im hoping to when finishing the game to return for a hand to hand build with the mod that makes unarmed attacks wicked. Good times!
    #
    Pertusaria 12 years ago
    My dad is cheap (and was probably cash-strapped some of the time), so most of the games of my childhood were shareware and came from computer conventions with no history attached.

One day he introduced me to a game that I think must have been an exception to this, as it came in an actual box and stuff. I remember the ankh, and I think I even remember the map. It must have been Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar, which I now know is remembered as being really good, and part of an excellent series.

Unfortunately I'd never seen a game even remotely like that before, and this was before the days of finding help and/or instructions online, and I didn't have the patience to figure it all out myself (I may have been about ten years old). It got ignored in favour of Maxis and Sierra very quickly. Don't know that this counts as a bad experience, but I feel guilty for not appreciating it. Sorry, Dad.
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    The Ultima games were definitely not flops in their own time. But when I tried to replay Ultima VI, turns out I couldn't. I didn't remember that the conversation system required you to type what you wanted to ask the characters. It just requires too much from the player, writing down all words you might want to ask anyone. And spending fifteen minutes with each NPC asking them your full repertoire just got boring too fast, even though they crammed in an amazing amount of dialogue.

But Ultima VII is a different beast altogether. I keep telling everyone to try that, it's still one of the best roleplaying games available.
    #
    TNN17 12 years ago
    Worst game flop? Hmmm....

#1: Unlimited Saga.

Type? RPG. Awesome.
    Game Case? Attractivish hand drawn art, cool cardboard box. Last cardboard PS2 boxed game I'd ever seen was Ico, and Ico is one of the best games ever.
    By? Squaresoft.

Expectations were high.... Game was terrible. Those "hand drawn art" dealies on the box were the paper cut outs that made up 90% of the games graphics. The story was terrible - all seven were at best mediocre. The gameplay was slow, railroaded, and tedious.... I played it for all of a day before abandoning it in disgust.

#2: Star Ocean: 'Til The End of Time.

I loved this game, it was awesome. Cool characters, branching plotlines, a great combat system, and rewards for my OCD obsession for exploring 100% of every map.

Until I reached Disc 2.

Mine was one of the copies which had a loading bug, meaning after finishing disc 1, the game would never load disc 2. Two playstations later, I've never, ever seen the second half of the game.

Colour me sadface.

All the Bethesda games were lacking for me - at least they would be if I were to play them on a console. Being supremely moddable is one of the things that saves it on the PC, and I don't think I've ever touched one that wasn't shaped to my tastes.

I liked Oblivion. At least after I modded the levelling system to be a smooth transition as your skills increase, gave it a survivalesque "food, drink, sleep" requirement, and over sixty other mods to shape it into something worthwhile. I've never finished the game's banal main plot, but I played the heck out of it for weeks doing other things.

Fallout 3 was also awesome, so long as I approached it (and you can bet I did) from the idea that I was an advanced cyborg, my "father" created me to crush his enemies, and I crushed my way across the wastes slaughtering all those who stood before me.

The wife's played Skyrim on the X-Box (I'm avoiding it until I have a computer that can handle it, which will probably coincide nicely with a collector's edition with all the expansions. Pleased to say at very least they seem to have removed the pain-in-the-neck levelling-with-you system I dislike so.
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    TNN17 said:
    #2: Star Ocean: 'Til the End of Time.

I loved this game, it was awesome. Cool characters, branching plotlines, a great combat system, and rewards for my OCD obsession for exploring 100% of every map.

Until I reached Disc 2.

Mine was one of the copies which had a loading bug, meaning after finishing disc 1, the game would never load disc 2. Two playstations later, I've never, ever seen the second half of the game.

Colour me sadface.
    I also owned Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. I, too, loved the characters, the plot, the combat, everything. It was an awesome game. I never got to the second disc either, but for an entirely different reason: I lent the game to somebody else and never saw it again. I don't even remember who I lent it to; I usually write that sort of thing down, but I have no clue where the paper we wrote that sort of thing on went, or even if it listed who it was lent to (rather than just the name of the game lent). As a result, I have to either track down every friend of myself or my sister we might possibly have lent the game to (many, many of whom now spend the majority of their time in other states, or even countries, for college or work), or buy a new copy. I'm not particularly thrilled by either possibility, but until I do one or the other, I'm not going to be able to play a game I remember fondly.
    #
    Crazy 12 years ago
    Oblivion is probably the game I was most disappointed in. Not that it wasn't minimally an okay title but I really had once of those truly trancendent moments in Morrowind. It wasn't really just a video game thing, either, it's this sort of... thing... in your life where...

You know what, I'll just tell you the story.

My character was a female rogue Wood Elf, who I was roleplaying as someone swept away in all this trouble and conflict and so on. At one point I needed to walk through the Grazelands. Just walk. Get to Tel Vos. And hey - it's the Grazelands, I should pick up some alchemy ingredients.

And then after about ten minutes, I had what research into LSD calls as a symptom "Oneness with the universe." Sort of my head just... opened up and I realized everything. Everything.

I was picking flowers in the Grazelands. A small hear of Guar sound off nearby. A soothing wind caresses the long grass and a tree offers me shade. In the horizon I can see the Red Mountain. Over there, there are Corprus walkers. Over there, there is suffering. Over there, th world is coming to an end. Where I'm coming from, there is fighting. Where I am going to, there is conflict. Both in the game and in my life outside it.

But for this one moment, this little bit of time I have here, I am picking flowers. I am picking flowers in the Grazelands and right now, that is all that matters. Right now, all is well.

And then came Oblivion and I'm, like, dafuq did I just play? The leveling system went form somewhat complicated to outright unintuitive, the setting a boring as all hell and the leveling system removed any semblance of a world inhabited my things that are not a Player Character. And good lord, was playing a non-combat character hard - the leveled lists still only looked at your level, which might've been standing completely on barter, lockpicking and pickpocket.

The mods, they made it... better, but still nowhere as good as Morrowind.

Skyrim is out now and while I didn't actually enjoy my first Skryim playthrough as much as I did my first Total War: Medieval 2 playthrough, I've sunk a lot of hours into it and considering how bloody enormous it is and how many brilliant modders are moving over from Oblivion and Fallout, I don't expect I'm going to stop playing it until the next Elder Scrolls game comes out.
    #
    Anarion 11 years ago
    Enter the Matrix. I bought into the hype and was really excited when I bought it for my PC. Severe letdown. Inconsistent level of detail in the graphics, poor control system, and it just generally felt like it had been released unfinished. I felt cheated.

The thing that always bugged me about Oblivion was coming across lowly bandits wearing really good armour. Seemed unrealistic to me. I always felt they should have really mismatched armour or just really crappy stuff.

Edited 11 years ago
    #
    Narvius 11 years ago
    Puzzle Quest 2 was fairly disappointing, though my expectations might have been a bit high. The first one was a truly great game, a gem, so to say. I am not entirely sure what made it so great, but the second installment simply failed to recreate it.
    #
    Pete 11 years ago
    Hey, now that I think about it, how did no one mention...

THE MASS EFFECT 3 ENDING

...in here yet?

But anyway, on that topic: Ye Olde Article Linke

Is this a good or a bad thing? Quick, someone tell me what to think!
    #
    Anonymous1157 11 years ago
    Pete said:
    Is this a good or a bad thing? Quick, someone tell me what to think!
    I read that they're reprioritizing their DLC schedule to release an "extended cut" ending. I haven't played the game myself, but it sure sounds like your opinion has been heard.
    #
    Forum » Your worst game experiences and flops?
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: