Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Possible Major Glitch Found

Possible Major Glitch Found

Aurora Paradox (guest) 11 years ago
I originally downloaded the demo off of the site. Once I completed the demo I uninstalled it and kept my save files. I bought the game off of gog.com and used my saves from the demo. I didn't encountered any problems until I reached the dungeon with stone spider. It is worth noting that I named my character Robert.

When I crossed the blue fire, instead of the brother Robert disappearing I did. I reappeared when I switched to a different map. However, brother Robert is still here. I was hoping he would eventually vanish later on. This has not happened. I'm currently on my way to the docks.

Is there a way I can correct this glitch?

#
ville 11 years ago
Thanks! That is a known glitch, the version through our site is already fixed, and I will be releasing an update for the gog.com version as soon as possible. If you have a saved game from before your character vanished, you can wait for the update and start playing from that. And if you don't have a save from before that, we can see if we can fix your save game. (My email is ville@monkkonen.net, and your saves are located under My Documents/Driftmoon/mainmod)
#
ville 11 years ago
And the update is online. It also affected everyone named Paul, and possibly others. There's a lesson I never thought I'd learn, don't reference characters in the game by name, or if you do, make sure they're not the player.

In case any modders are interested, the setNamedAsTarget calls will no longer target the player, and neither will script variables that use an object name. (Dave.health for example)

Edited 11 years ago
#
I'm currently running Driftmoon 1.010 I think. Is that the latest version?

I'm uploading my save files now and will be emailing them to you shortly.

I'm currently on Elione island. I've explored every nook and cranny and I'm not sure what to do next.

Aside from the rock that seems to talk and the large talking head I haven't found anything out of the ordinary.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance.

Aurora Paradox
#
Anne 11 years ago
Hi Aurora!

Thanks for the save files!

A couple of suggestions for the island of Eione:

Did you notice that the Statue only has one eye?

If not, you'll need to help him regain his lost eye first. You may find it from the lair of the Mechanical Snatchers.

If you've already done that, you should be able to advance by talking to the statue, and receiving a letter from him.

After that the talking rock which you found earlier is quite important. You need to find a way to wake him up - try to search for a fire flower, and make it bloom with the help of a tiny friend of yours. Those things are rare delicacies to some creatures! (Yes, the tiny friend I mentioned is Fizz.) More help, just ask!

Edited 11 years ago
#
MageKing17 11 years ago
ville said:
There's a lesson I never thought I'd learn, don't reference characters in the game by name, or if you do, make sure they're not the player.
This is why a lot of games (like Elder Scrolls titles, for instance) refer to an internal ID value instead of the name shown to the user; for one thing, it avoids events like that (the player's ID would be "player" regardless of name), and for another, it makes for easier localization if you don't have to translate every reference to a character's name in scripts as well as in dialogue.

I only mention this because I'm currently working on a pseudo-scripting-language and quickly discovered such a need for ID values.
#
ville 11 years ago
Actually Driftmoon uses an ID system as well, but unfortunately the ID numbers are reused between maps. So for objects that cross map borders, such as the player's companions, we refer to them by name. But it would make a lot more sense from a technical perspective (as well as translating like you mentioned) to have unique id numbers for all of them. The immediate problem has been solved now - but I might implement that translation functionality soon, and that will require changing the character names, so I might just implement those unique id numbers as well.
Edited 11 years ago
#
After Vile fixed up my save file I was able to progress and complete the game. This game easily earns two thumbs up from me. The story line has a way of growing on you as it progresses.

Do you have any plans to create a sequel?
#
ville 11 years ago
Thanks! Good to hear it worked.

A sequel, possibly maybe... Not right at this moment though, I'd probably go crazy if I did two similar games in a row. There will be something completely different in between. We'll let you know when we know.
#
Forum » Possible Major Glitch Found

Your email:
Your name: