Hey I've completed the main game several times now, had a lot of fun with it - playing the game more than once is recommended: you'll understand a lot of things better with the ending in mind.
I've tried all the current mods out just now, and I must say there are a lot of creative ideas in it. However, for a new player who just purchased this game, there might be a few problems. Most of the mods date back a year or more and are not suitable for the current game version. This means a lot of bugs and glitches, as well as many missing features such as ability to change view.
To give new players a heads up here are my thoughts on some of the mods, from least interesting to the ones I recommend playing:
- Cuter spiders; Invasion of the Bawkspiders; Tails; Lava Fields: these are just small graphical tweaks. A fun gimmick, but would be better if they were just toggable options in the main game for instance imo.
- Port Potomac: an old mod that starts out in a very dark place with no torches to light your way, making it impossible for me to continue. Without an update I can't recommend it.
- Trials: basically a puzzle map, it's very unclear to me what you're supposed to do exactly, but I suppose for those who want nothing but enigmatic riddles this is your thing! Dungeon Test is similar but without interaction.
- Scavenge!: a nice (almost) deserted island - though I have no idea how to avoid death shortly after the beginning. Worth a look.
- Return to Valimor: A very promising little adventure with a pretty large single map and some secrets. Unfoirtunately the map is broken, you are basically off the map half of the time which is disorienting, but worth playing. I wish the author had continued this.
- Afterlight: the only mod I've played that truly is a total conversion: the game is transformed into a grim post-apocalypic street battle. It's mainly a concept with a lot of textures missing and I can't seem to find the park I'm supposed to go to, but this could be made into possibly something that would rival the main game! Must-play.
- Revenge of Bibbi: Ah the return of the silly fly that tried to ambush you in the main game! And Fizz is back as well! Wonderful adventure that brought a smile to my face several times. Not the easiest mod, I would recommend you play the main game first. My favourite mod together with the next one:
- IR (W.I.P.): No wonder this was created by a design intern! An eerie setting, the feel of a finished area, and lots of dialogue make this the best mod yet. Don't miss this one!
I hope I didn't bore anyone with that list.
P.S. Found 105 feathers in main game total. Anyone got any more?