Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Screenshot forging competition
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Screenshot forging competition

Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    "HarmlessHermit" said:
    I say we have a knife fight with Neogangster blindfolded.

We have a knife fight whilst NeoGangster is blindfolded?
    #
    HarmlessHermit 18 years ago
    I suppose that is an ambiguous sentence. ("Dangling modifiers are bad!")
    I meant Neogangster is blindfolded, and he's fighting all of us. No steroids allowed, cheater.
    #
    Anonymous1157 18 years ago
    Hold on while I go get my Instant Campsite. "Just pull the rope and you've got a big balloney camp!" And I agree with HH.

I know how to make Neo unable to win! How about, umm, hmm this is a tough one... NOT PUTTING HIM IN THE POLE?
    #
    ville 18 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    Erm, question, does this 'run poll for X days' thingie actually WORK? Well, whatever.

Guess whether any phpBB user has ever used it? I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work at all.

The reason Neo keeps winning competitions is that we're constantly doing graphics competitions, and he's just that good. What we need is some other kind of competition, maybe writing? I want a word limit with minimum and maximum.
    #
    NeoGangster 18 years ago
    "ville" said:

The reason Neo keeps winning competitions is that we're constantly doing graphics competitions, and he's just that good. What we need is some other kind of competition, maybe writing? I want a word limit with minimum and maximum.

Writing would be an ideal competition, because I wouldn't write a word except some spam
    #
    Idiota 18 years ago
    and it'd probably be a more contended competition. HarmlessHermit, Mageking, Zombie, Gemini, me and perhaps even Arcade if someone can contact him about it
    #
    The Gemini 18 years ago
    Yes, can it be an essay writing competition? I allways get topgrades when I write them
    #
    Idiota 18 years ago
    I'd have made such a competition right now, but I want to compete myself We need a neutral person to lead such a thing.
    #
    Amarth 18 years ago
    Well, I said I would make sure Neo wouldn't win... Now, if I organize such a competition, we can hope Neo won't win. So, since I'm not so sure I'm that good a writer in English, I think of perhaps leading another one.
    So... let's make this writing competition. But first, I want some ideas from you all... Tell me, how do you see such a competition?
    #
    Idiota 18 years ago
    I'd say someone, preferably you, posts a beginning of a story. It is op to the competitors to finish it. The best ending wins. How'd that sound to you?
    #
    For that, we could just make a forum game where you write a paragraph of a story kinda like the 3-word story game. And when Neo posts, continue on with his added paragraph but dont give him credit at the end and dont put him in the vote poll for the best story contributor. Oooo that was so evil!
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    Here's a cool way to do it. You have the competition be to write a story which somehow incorporates a certain set of lines/dialogue/scenes, etc. Like:

Write a story that includes the line, "I like chicken!" at the begining, "Bite me! Ouch, that hurts!" in the middle, and "This is the stupidest dialogue I've ever been part of!" at the end.
    #
    Kind of like those writer's forum mini-contests where writers are given objects/themes and are forced to write a short story, poem, whatever including them.

Ex: green rose, plane was late, Easter bunny, Energizer bunny, jade needle

[Epic tale of how the Easter bunny stabbed the Energizer bunny with a jade needle and began the quest for the green rose of Widjaja. but failed because his plane to New York was late due to lack of batteries.]
    #
    ville 18 years ago
    I'd ask you to make a Cormoon story, but there's not much to start with yet.

I think word counts are a good idea. There's a certain theme you have to use, maybe some phrases, and you have to do a story with 1000-2000 words.
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    I don't like setting maximum word amounts. Mainly because I love writing and I don't like having a limit to run into.
    #
    I dont like having zee fwicken minimum to run into. Or should I say not run past... whatever, you get the point.

@MageKing:
    [
    I like chicken! I like it so much I dress up like a chicken wing! So Bite Me! Ouch that hurts! Dont bite me, I dont feel like it!

"Uh Mr.Director, this is the stupidest dialoug i've ever been part of!"
    *walks away*
    ]
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    I like chicken! I like it so much I dress up like a chicken wing! So Bite Me! Ouch that hurts! Dont bite me, I dont feel like it!

"Uh Mr.Director, this is the stupidest dialoug i've ever been part of!"
    *walks away*

That aside, here's the reason I don't like setting minimums and maximums. A short story I wrote during the summer has a word count of 9889. A short story I wrote during the school year has a word count of 3307. The second one took me approximately four hours to complete, and consists of only eight pages. So don't set any limits, minimum or maximum.
    #
    I think there should be maximum word count lengths. The whole point of a short story is that it's short, and if you've read any of those 500-word stories or 50-word stories (tee hee) then you would know that keeping under the limit takes a lot of finesse with words. You have to cut out anything that is "extra" and the end result is a very compact, sharp story that's sure to leave razor marks long after it's read.

Whatever preconceptions you have about these limits "destroying" creativity or whatever, well... I would go into a long spiel about how directed creativity is much more pleasing to the audience than freeform puddles of creativity, but then it'd be boring. See? Hacking off unnecessary bits.
    #
    ville 18 years ago
    Part of the challenge I feel is usually staying under the word limit. The reason I suggested it is that the stories would be more readily comparable, and quicker to read too.
    #
    What we COULD do is make another AETAS with a different theme. Maybe we could do "The Most INSANE Adventure Eburz".
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    No. We have one RP thread, let's not complicate things with another. Let's just go along with the idea of a story competition for now.

While you may have a point about readily comparing the stories, the "directed creativity" thing is bullsh**. Just try it in the competition and watch it all fall apart on you.
    #
    I admit that another RP thread might be discombobulating, but do you at least agree with the topic?
    #
    Inane 18 years ago
    I'm already afraid of the AETAS, I don't need another thread to be afraid of .

But I think a short story competition would be interesting.
    #
    Idiota 18 years ago
    We do have to cap the words somewhere, MageKing (). It's a writer's skill to no only create original scenes and plot, it is also one to be able to cap it somewhere. It gets way easier to compare with equally sized short stories anyway. It's less frightening for people to come in, read and vote as well.
    #
    I'm not good at inventing new phrases, so let's agree that directed creativity is bull fecal matter. Let's call it focused talent instead.

Seriously though, the whole point of this competition is to see who can craft a better story on equal footing with others. If someone writes a fricking 100 page epic sci-fi adventure compared to a 1-page poem, it's awkward for the judges to give it to the 1-pager knowing how hard the other author worked to get those 100 pages, albeit 100 pages of lower quality. And you've got the problem of judges not knowing at all how to compare those two in the first place. They are two different types of literature and belong in two different competitions. Narrowing the length is the only way you can compare stories fairly.

It's a pain to hack off all superfluous parts of your beloved creations, but the result is better. These are stories for readers and judges, not the writer.
    #
    Crazy 18 years ago
    ahem... i've encountered problem... to get the amount of detail i need a pic thats three times the size of my 1024x768 screen. Thats not logical. Maybe i could finish it and scale it down? IR amke the amount of pizels per square cm more than my screen can display?
    #
    Amarth 18 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    ahem... i've encountered problem... to get the amount of detail i need a pic thats three times the size of my 1024x768 screen. Thats not logical. Maybe i could finish it and scale it down? IR amke the amount of pizels per square cm more than my screen can display?
    Do whatever you want to, but a screenshot of something larger than a screen is not really believable . You could make more than one shot, of course.
    This is not about 'pixels per square cm', as it is not really going to be printed... A screenshot is measured in pixels, because that defines the size, and it's not important in what small box these pixels are crammed. A 800x600 screen of 15" carries exactly the same amount of information as a 800x600 screen of 21". The pixels will be bigger or smaller, but that's not important.

Anyway, with this competition ended... We will start a new one shortly (for some definition of shortly). I'll once again be the, whatever, moderator. As proposed, it'll be a writing compo. I have yet to think a bit about the rules, but sorry MK, I think of imposing a limit. The reasons are said before. If you don't like it, don't join. You can always write outside the competition...

But yeah, don't stop the discussion... What size would you see doable? Would you like to impose some stupid rule? Just throw your ideas this way...

[OT]
    I remember a forum game we used to play on the website of our youth movement... It was the 'task story' (het opdrachtverhaaltje). You'd write a part of the story, and give a task/rule to the next person to write a piece. Rules were as... Let me search... 'there has to be a murder in the next part', 'include a flashback', 'use the word "schat" (treasure, or honey, baby, ...) 8 times', 'use 3 existing chemical reactions', ... It was pretty hilarious.
    [/OT]
    #
    I'm thinking there shouldn't be a minimum, but then some person might submit a haiku. I HATE haikus. Well, I don't actually hate them. I just hate how it was adopted as easy poetry because its short and simple enough for fools to write whatever and pass it off as poetry.

Maximum. This will be a point of contention, but maybe 2000-3000 words-ish? This is going to be a short story competition I'm assuming.

Passable spelling and grammar. Seriously. Forum posts I can tolerate, unlike some people, but when anyone is given a lengthy amount of time to write something that's not very long, the spelling should be perfect, and the grammar should be understandable. (Formal writing rules like 'who' and 'whom' should be disregarded)

We can have it be about a topic. We can give random words and force people to include it in their story. We can have wacky rules like
    limiting people to a list of nouns. It all depends on the type of competition we want really.
    #
    I vote that we use the forum story continuation game you yourself mentioned in an OT, Amarth.
    #
    And the winner is... the one who says "the end" ?
    I'm not sure if that could be judged.
    #
    Idiota 18 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    "schat" (treasure, or honey, baby, ...)

lol (Yes, I am Dutch, so don't try to see the humor in it )
    #
    And besides, that's dumb because someone could say "Once upon a time, the end".

XD
    #
    MageKing17 18 years ago
    "HarmlessHermit" said:
    Passable spelling and grammar. Seriously. Forum posts I can tolerate, unlike some people, but when anyone is given a lengthy amount of time to write something that's not very long, the spelling should be perfect, and the grammar should be understandable. (Formal writing rules like 'who' and 'whom' should be disregarded)
    I'll make no attempt to deny this, as I know it seems like I'm hard on people. Not going to discuss that. However, I will say that I agree perfectly with chucking the 'who' 'whom' rule out the window. Not only is it archaic, but not even I fully understand it, and you all know what a concession that is. Say whichever you like, so long as it doesn't make you sound like a moron (I.E. only using 'whom' will definately cause me to give you funny looks).
    #
    Amarth 18 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    "Amarth" said:
    "schat" (treasure, or honey, baby, ...)

lol (Yes, I am Dutch, so don't try to see the humor in it )
    En het beste is nog dat ze schaterlachen, zelfoverschatting enzovoort hebben gebruikt .

Anyway...
    This might me good as a forum game, not as a competition .

About using grammar etc... The voting will be as previous time, so to have a vote, it'll have to be appreciated by the forum members in about every way. So the best thing to ruin your chances would be by using really bad grammar. A typo is no problem, but when it becomes hard to read...

Well... I'm going to start the thread. Ready everyone?
    #
    Crazy 18 years ago
    ... too busy to do nothing! I mean anything!
    #
    Forum » Screenshot forging competition
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: