This mod has been renamed and released, and can be found in this thread.
A long time ago now, I was having a go with making a mod for Notrium. I lost a lot of my progress in an accident, with the last backup a long way behind. I never really got back into it after that. I've got some free time at the moment, so I'm having another go.
The concept is you are a cybernetically enhanced being trying to survive on alien world for reasons not yet decided. It's essentially my remix of the Notrium concept.
Current download address:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.roburky.co.uk/etc/Scavenger0.03.zip">http://www.roburky.co.uk/etc/Scavenger0.03.zip</a><!-- m -->
Biggest changes are the return of the hunger bar, and LASER EYES. The hunger drain is very slow, so you have plenty of time to get your bearings and start hunting the slug-beasts for food. The laser eyes need to be constructed, but I think they're going to change the dynamic of the game. Let me know how you think the laser eyes change how the mod plays.
Complete change log from 0.03:
- Hunger bar is back (referred to as sustenance bar). Slug meat will replenish it.
- The wrecks now all have different ambient sounds.
- The music has been changed. It also happens to be a smaller file size, making the whole mod easier to download.
- New items found at crash sites: weapon chassis, electromagnet, food ration, propellant unit
- Food rations are available as an option to satisfy hunger. You start with a couple to make the early game easier, but ones available to find are limited (just like original Notrium, I guess).
- The projectile weapon is buildable, using the weapon chassis, propellant unit, and multi-metal.
- Projectile weapon rate of fire increased slightly.
- The player now has an ocular filter item, which is equipped to the head slot. When you have nanites, the filter is automatically equipped, and the red glow in front of the player is in effect. When you run out of nanites, it is automatically unequipped.
- The nanite link and the nanite cell can be combined to make an energy converter.
- The energy converter can be combined with your ocular filter to make Laser Eyes. This is an auto-equipped organ like the ocular filter, and allows you to shoot lasers from your eyes at any time using the right mouse button.
- New mini versions of the insects are spread about the world. Unlike the larger ones, they will not attack.
- Insects leave a little trail.
- Insects have fiery blood.
- Blue plants give the same effects whether they die from attacking or being attacked. They also have nanite particles for 'blood'.
- Blue plants are now more common around springs.
- Mosquito drone will now properly 'fly'.
- Mosquito drone's weapon has been tweaked in all areas.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.roburky.co.uk/etc/Scavenger0.02.zip">http://www.roburky.co.uk/etc/Scavenger0.02.zip</a><!-- m -->
Change log from 0.02:
- Mosquito drone: A new creature that lies dormant near crash sites, waiting for a nanite-powered creature to approach. This machine will feed on your nanite reserve.
- The nanite reserve will now self-replicate at a rate according to the size of the bar. The more nanites you have, the faster they will replicate.
- Using a nanite cell will now leave you with a dead cell.
- A nanite link item will appear near crash sites. This item can be used to refill a dead cell with nanites, at the cost of emptying your nanite reserve.
- The crash sites will occasionally release a spark.
- The electric blue plants are back, but with a twist. They're still useful, but they're also dangerous.
- All electric attacks will reduce hydration. Can't think of an explanation yet. But I think it's interesting for all themed attacks to have a secondary effect.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.roburky.co.uk/etc/Scavenger0.01.zip">http://www.roburky.co.uk/etc/Scavenger0.01.zip</a><!-- m -->
First thing I've done is simplify it by quite a bit. Loading up Notrium again, I found I couldn't play my own game - it was too hard. I also remembered that in my last attempt at continuing it, I had run into some trouble with the massive amount of player effects I had going at once. So I've removed a few of the survival mechanics.
Anyway, I've just reached a point where everything I had begun to fiddle with has reached a playable point, so before I start adding new stuff, I'm going to upload what I have, to see if anyone wants to give some feedback.
Current things to see and do (version 0.01):
- The world is filled with alien creatures. Timid brown slugs, jittery fire-spitting insects, and mammoth-like electric blue slugs that act as a hive for symbiotic spawnflies. None of them are agressive (except maybe the spawnflies), but they will all react to your presence. Making the AI and visual effects for these creatures was a lot of fun.
- You have a hydration bar, which can be refilled from the strange glowing springs dotted around the map. You don't have a hunger bar as I just removed it to simplify things a bit.
- You still have a body temperature bar, which works like it does in Notrium. There are cooling units to be found which can lower it, and fires which can warm it.
- In place of an energy bar, you have a nanite reserve. As long as you have at least some amount of nanites, they will self-replicate and refill your reserve. If you run out, the bar will not replenish. If you can find a nanite cell, however, you can add a few nanites to your reserve and they will begin to replicate.
- You won't find nanite cells or cooling units lying just anywhere. Objects of technology will only be found near crash sites.
- Fires, likewise, are currently only found near recent craters.
- You start with a projectile weapon. The plan is for this to be upgradable, but I haven't gotten around to redoing that. The only creature it is really effective against is the brown slugs.
- If you kill a brown slug, you will get some slug meat. Take it to a fire and cook it, and you will refill your hydration bar. It used to fill your hunger bar, until I removed that. I may change the descriptions of this process so it makes a bit more sense.
- Why would you use the slug meat to hydrate yourself when you can use the springs? There is a reason, but it won't really make itself apparent until I've added more to the game to make it worth playing for longer.
- As a cyborg, you have the ability to use artificial organs to improve yourself. The first artificial organ in the game is the self-repair organ, which you start with. If your body is damaged or weak, you can plug the self-repair organ into your body, and it will begin expending your nanites on healing you.