Register
Email: Password:
Forum » PS3, 360, or Wii?
  • « previous
  • » next
  • PS3, 360, or Wii?

Zephyr 17 years ago
    I'm thinking about getting one (translation: begging a rich relative for one) and I have no idea which.

I'm thinking a PS3, because there are a ton of PS2 games as well as PS3 ones that I could buy, having never owned a PS2, and because I still have my old PS1 (I like got it JUST when they were coming out, so it's one of those big bulky sqaure shaped ones, not one of those small curved ones, so I'm gonna keep it because it's not yet illegal to keep old and extremely outdated video game consoles that'll probably just grow dust in the attic until I'm like 88 at which point my grandchildren will find it and be all like "COOL." except instead of "COOL." it'll be like some spacey type exclamation like "ZOIP!" or something equally as nerdy that'd most likely get you beaten up by today's youth...), and a whole lot of PS1 games that are kinda cool to play after awhile... Plus, I'm used to the controls...

The 360 looks kinda cool, especially online, but I don't know what games are good for it, plus the controls are kinda annoying...

And the Wii, with its gimmicky, overrated controls, and Nintendo's accompanying marketing scheme to draw soccer moms and old people alike to their little arcade style games that are sure to bring a full 5 minutes of joy to the household...

So, with that in mind, which one should I get? And please give a reason. Not just like "OMG WII ROX DONT DIS"
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    I would automatically tell you to get a Wii, but in the other hand, you MIGHT want to leer towards PS3, and get a Wii when you come up with the monies yerself/get another relative to buy you a console.

Or perhaps after the PS3 you might get X360, which is also sort of expensive, and THEN gather monies to purchase a Wii.

Nevertheless, get whichever you want NOW, but be sure to get a Wii at SOME point.
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    360. Two words: Halo 3.
    #
    Idiota 17 years ago
    Good games for the 360... That doesn't make me think of Halo 3 at all.

Gears of War

Good games for the PS3... Final Fantasy, MGS, etc.

Good games for the Wii... Lol you're funny. Wii is all about the controls. If that starts to bore, the Wii starts to bore.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    Good games for the Wii... Lol you're funny. Wii is all about the controls. If that starts to bore, the Wii starts to bore.
    It DOES have Legend of Zelda - Toilet Paper- I mean, Twilight Princes.

Plus support for GameCube games.
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    Don't get a Wii. The less Wiis other people buy, the higher the chance I'll get one.
    #
    Anonymous1157 17 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    Don't get a Wii. The less Wiis other people buy, the higher the chance I'll get one.
    I don't think you two live in the same country, not to mention the same city.

I'd get a Wii if you already have a Gamecube, because my friend discovered that the rectangular plastic on the Wii's top is actually a slot cover for Gamecube memory/gamepads. It also obviously supports those games natively. OTOH, the 360's components are fully PC-compatible, so if you want something that you can use when your attention deficit hyperactivity disorder kicks in and beckons you to your PC, get that. It can also run Xbox Linux. OTOH, the PS3 has eight processors, so Sony will absolutely HAVE to release a public SDK at some point, or the nerds will go nuts and crack it themselves.

... So, essentially, it all depends on how messed up your head is.
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    I'm not sure about it.
    360 - It's nice, but expensive.
    PS3 - Technically, more powerfull than 360, but still expensive.
    Wii - It's cheap and nice, but gives a bit too much on the physics. In other words, it's not adequate for sick people.
    #
    Quanrian 17 years ago
    If you're looking to buy a system I suggest you simply visit sites like <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.megagames.com">http://www.megagames.com</a><!-- w --> or <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gamespot.com">http://www.gamespot.com</a><!-- w --> for some hardware reviews. A lot of people simply shifted towards the PS3 for various reasons, but in the end none of them are going to get it the line up both the Wii and 360 are getting this year.

It's been said the PS3 will come into its own and dominate in about 5 years (yes you read that right). That's Sony's plan overall, because you have to realize they're banking more on Bluray than on their games, which aren't that impressive. I'm also confident that the PS3 will come into its own in the next 5 years. Unfortunately till than I can't tell any reasonably educated person that it's worth the sticker price unless they simply must have the newest everything.

The Wii, while it's not graphically superior and even in some cases looks uglier than the Gamecube graphically (not really sure how this happened). It stands to reason however that out of the three consoles, you will likely have the most 'fun' with the Wii. Fun seems to be understated now a days and while the Wii is VERY gimmicky, gimmicks are something Nintendo has always been good at exploiting to the Nth degree. The simple fact the Wii translates so well from their portable DS speaks very well of its future.

I'd say by default, if you want good graphics and something you wont have to wait 5 years to truely be happy with, the 360 is your best bet. Simply put, it has the most 'Next-Gen' games. So while the PS3 can play many PS2 games, like the 360, it wont play them all and it's not a good enough reason to buy it. On the same note it's not a good reason to buy the 360 for its backwards compatibility as many sad folks found out when they traded in their Xbox's for 360s. Do the research as well and you'll find in system to system comparisons the 360 actually puts out sharper graphics with a faster frame rate to boot.

I'm heavily slanted very much towards the 360, quite obviously, and not just because I own one (I've messed with all the consoles). 360 has games like Alan Wake, Bioshock, Halo 3, Two Worlds and a number of other games that will be exclusive to the console. This makes me much happier with my decision I made last year than people who chose to buy PS3's this year will be. Let's not forget the cost of a 1080p HDTV to get that PS3 'actually' looking better than a 360 and it's really a no brainer.
    #
    Zephyr 17 years ago
    Great, so, now I'm confused as hell... :\
    #
    Anonymous1157 17 years ago
    "Zephyr" said:
    Great, so, now I'm confused as hell... :\
    We can help. What consoles do you already own, and what do you intend to do with your new one?
    #
    darthvader7 17 years ago
    well in my opinion all three consoles are good but i think ps3 is over hyped. sony made the ps3 have blueray since it wants to beat hd dvd at all costs. ps3 might have a little more shinier graphics than xbox 360 but it isn't worth spending the extra cash, especialy in australia where there is a difference to $350 between premium ps3 and premium xbox 360.

the xbox 360 is more for games but its strong online community helps to engage you in the game more so than on the ps3. when playing standerd definition dvds on the xbox 360 they will look better since the xbox 360 upscales dvds to 720p and 1080i (through vga only). while the ps3 can do the same it doesn't use upscaling technology that is on par with the 360. if you love to store video files and if you go crazy on downloading maybe 20GB isn't enough compared to ps3's 60GB hard drive. another advantage (or disadvantage in other peoples opinions) is that you can choose to buy a hd dvd drive later and you arn't forced to shell out extra money for an unproven format.

last but not least there is nintendo with wii. wii is purely for games and thats how it should be. if you love playing games and normal controls have gotten boring i think wii is the best choice. even if graphics arn't so polished its the gameplay that counts and nintendo is a AAA developer. wii also benifits from backward compatability with gamecube games and you can download games from the virtual console with include nes, snes, n64, genesis and turbographix. if you don't care about graphics and only care about fun, wii is the choice.
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    Well, I care to the graphics, Wii might not be my choice...
    And I already own a PSX... should I have a PS3?
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    Well, I care to the graphics, Wii might not be my choice...
    GFX-whore!
    "E_net4" said:
    And I already own a PSX... should I have a PS3?
    AFAIK, the backwards compatibility of PS3 only extends to some PS2 games, and NONE of the PS1 games.
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    AFAIK, the backwards compatibility of PS3 only extends to some PS2 games, and NONE of the PS1 games.
    Stop spouting your lies, Nintendo whore! I've heard these rumours myself, but nowhere on any reliable source does it say the PS3 doesn't have PS1 backwards compatibility, and my friend got one and it runs PS1 games fine.

The PS3 is the best console there, but of course you'll want to wait 4 or 5 years for the price to get anywhere reasonable.
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    The PS3 is the best console there, but of course you'll want to wait 4 or 5 years for the price to get anywhere reasonable.
    Now, how long does a generation take in console-land? About 6 years.

Thus, you're suggesting that you buy a console that is now seemingly the best (probably still at that time), but that would be overclassed one year later. So, you're not having the best anymore, and you waited 5 years for it. Oops.
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    "MageKing17" said:
    Now, how long does a generation take in console-land? About 6 years.

Thus, you're suggesting that you buy a console that is now seemingly the best (probably still at that time), but that would be overclassed one year later. So, you're not having the best anymore, and you waited 5 years for it. Oops.
    Overclassed a year later by an overpriced console, which you should probably wait another five years before buying.

It balances out.
    #
    Zephyr 17 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    The PS3 is the best console there
    I LOVE YOU. This, people, is what I wanted to hear. Oh, and money isn't an issue. But that doesn't mean I can get all three, nor would I really want all three...
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "Zephyr" said:
    "MageKing17" said:
    The PS3 is the best console there
    I LOVE YOU. This, people, is what I wanted to hear. Oh, and money isn't an issue. But that doesn't mean I can get all three, nor would I really want all three...
    As long as you get Wii, I won't mind.
    #
    Zephyr 17 years ago
    Yeah, but I would. I've never been a big fan of Nintendo, and short little Italian plumbers with moustaches and matching little clothes that are different colours really doesn't do it for me.

Legend of Zelda is cool, but buying a Wii for just one series of games (taking it's backwards compatibility into account) is stupid and/or illegal.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "Zephyr" said:
    Legend of Zelda is cool, but buying a Wii for just one series of games (taking it's backwards compatibility into account) is stupid and/or illegal.
    ...illegal?
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "Zephyr" said:
    buying a Wii for just one series of games is stupid
    You have no idea how hard it is for some people to comprehend this.

/me loves you
    #
    darthvader7 17 years ago
    well it isn't always bad buying a system for one game. i bought ps2 mainly for kinddom hearts but my ps2 game library has grown a ton. also remember, anything made by sony isn't reliable. i got a friend that had to go through 5 ps2's and then gave up on playstation. my ps2 got repaired a couple of times. nintendo consoles are made to last while sony products are made to make money. microsoft at launch had some issues but now have no issues at all
    #
    Idiota 17 years ago
    Nintendo only has some titles that they re-exploit EVERY time. It's always about link. Take the Final Fantasy chain for example. New part, new characters, new world (most of the time), new weapons, everything. Buying a Wii because the controls are funny is no valid reason.

<3 PS
    360 is ok
    Wii can suck my wiiner.
    #
    darthvader7 17 years ago
    you keep forgeting that sony does not own any rights to final fantasy, thus squaresoft could release it on any console it wants.
    #
    Amarth 17 years ago
    I want a Wii and I don't give a damn about Link. Seriously. I'll buy games that are good, not games that are part of a series.

Besides, the Wii is for multiplayer. You are all a bunch of lonely people.
    #
    darthvader7 17 years ago
    i agree i didn't buy wii for zelda, but more so for pokemon ( i am addicted to pokemon) and other party games like rayman ravaging rabbids. xbox 360 and ps3 are mostly for multimedia and not for games in microsoft and sony's view(sony wants to drain every dollar from you that you have)
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "darthvader7" said:
    i agree i didn't buy wii for zelda, but more so for pokemon ( i am addicted to pokemon)

Could not resist...

Also, so far the BEST Microsoft product (i.e. the most stable and working and so on) for me has been my Xbox. Only one (or was it two?) freezes. EVER. And I got it in the summer of 2004. And I tend to hear all sorts of stuff about Xboxes going nuts and not working and so on (not just the 360s, but the first ones, too).

Not to mention my PS1 (which is currently somewhat lost), which I can't remember EVER having a lockup. And it was used when I got it.

So, all in all, I don't believe all that crap about sony not being reliable. True, they made a (huge) mistake at pricing PS3, but since my brother-in-law has preordered one, I'll be experiencing the backwards compatibility and stuff first-hand.

Besides, I'll be getting a PS3 if I ever get the monies. It's just that there's a higher chance that I get a Wii sooner (mostly because it's price is less than 300€), so I've been hyping about that console more than the others.
    #
    darthvader7 17 years ago
    of course if you keep your console in a safe place its life will certainly be longer. i have a nintendo 64 that works just like it use to 10 years or so ago. i got a friend whos nes has never stuffed up. and hearing all the problems that sony has had with their hardware. i remember a staff from best buy said that the ratio of the stock they had was 8:2 which means a lot of customers were upset.

the console race reminds me of the handheld race. nintendo renovates it and thus wins it. maybe what ds is doing to the psp shows that wii has the potential to come on top.
    #
    Zephyr 17 years ago
    I like the sound of a PS3. Sorry, I gotta go, I'm being yelled at here, so this is basically spam.
    #
    Quanrian 17 years ago
    PS3 isn't going to be worth the money until they build a game library that is worth investing in. While Nintendo is ALWAYS going to reuse its IPs like toiletpaper, Sony hasn't been much. In my opinion M$ has spent more time and money creating new IPs than the other two. I also have one big reason for supporting the 360 and that's that it is the ONLY console to really offer any support to Indy developers with XNA (which is still in development and is only going to get better IMHO).

If you really want to play PS2 and PSOne games, be smart and buy a PS2 (since paying so much extra for hackneyed backwards support borders on the idiotic). If you want to play a laundry list of Next-Gen games that don't require a 2 grand TV to enjoy properly I highly suggest the 360 still and will continue. If you're more of a casual gamer, and just want pure fun, Wii is probably going to do that better than anything else, even without the flashy graphics.

In closing I'd just like to say you have to look at where each developer has gone. Microsoft has gone from probably one of the scummiest to one of the most competitive and quite simply they deliver on the goods time and time again (you might want to look and see how rare this is). Sony has gone from being a company I respect to one I don't trust at all now, going so far as viral advertising (really bad one at that). Nintendo are just, let's face it, they're fricken insane, but they probably innovate more than anyone else (ignoring the fact they're the kings of rehashing).
    #
    darthvader7 17 years ago
    hey Quanrian , i totally agree with you. i use to think of sony as a top class developer/ consolemaker but i think their time as market leaders is coming to a end. microsoft actually sounds like their very interested in the 360 with all the attatchments like camera, hd dvd drive and more. i think mirosoft has the whole value for money thing. nintendo have been smart though, with letting everyone be able to download classics and backwards compatability', they've even got a new way of playing games with the wiimote. i am one of those wii60 people who have a wii and plan on getting xbox 360.
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "darthvader7" said:
    i got a friend that had to go through 5 ps2's and then gave up on playstation. my ps2 got repaired a couple of times.
    Well, my first PS2 died on us, but that was after a couple years of good service. Our second hasn't died yet, and it's run for longer. We haven't had to repair it or anything. I'd be inclined to think either your friend got these 5 very near launch (bad idea), or just plain doesn't know what they're doing.

"Idiota" said:
    Nintendo only has some titles that they re-exploit EVERY time. It's always about link. Take the Final Fantasy chain for example. New part, new characters, new world (most of the time), new weapons, everything. Buying a Wii because the controls are funny is no valid reason.

<3 PS
    360 is ok
    Wii can suck my wiiner.
    <3

Oh, and Final Fantasy XII isn't set it a new world (it's set in Ivalice, which was previously used by Tactics and Tactics Advanced), but they don't use it as an excuse to be lazy at all. In fact, FFXII is my new favourite Final Fantasy.

The only other time they re-used a world (X-II (that's "ten two," not twelve)) was a horrible failure, so I think they were more cautious this time.

"darthvader7" said:
    you keep forgeting that sony does not own any rights to final fantasy, thus squaresoft could release it on any console it wants.
    Square Enix already does release some games on nintendo consoles. They're all remakes of older games, though. Square Enix releasing their next major Final Fantasy title on anything other than a sony console would be insanity. Square is always going for more advanced graphics, and switching to a far inferior console would just be stupid.
    #
    Quanrian 17 years ago
    Well one issue with the Wii, at least intially, was how hard it was to get a hold of the special controllers you need to play most of the classic games. Not to mention the classic games are something the 360 does as well, so it's not exactly an exclusive feature. It's just the sheer amount that'll be on Wii that'll make the difference (and that's probably to make up for the fact not many bought Gamecubes, so backwards compatibility for that system was a moot point).

Wio doesn't seem to have any plans to have small Indy games like both the 360 and the PS3 do. It may be a small thing to some, but I really enjoy the cheap games 360 has to offer, some are quite good, like Assault Heros. It's also nice, if perhaps trivial to some to have the achievments for the classic games (giving you some kind of extra goal, some of which aren't thing you'd normally try to do).

I'm more than a little eager to see what Sony puts out on their own budget game front. Sadly though, they haven't been that impressive yet and they even seem to be just using Flash games to bide time. While I like Flash games, I'm not going to pay for something I got for free unless they drastically improve it. This is just me perhaps though cause I'm into small, arcadey games.
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    doesn't seem to have any plans to have small Indy games like both the 360 and the PS3 do.
    HUGE FAILURE FOR NINTENDO.

*ahem*
    #
    Forum » PS3, 360, or Wii?
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: