Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Gateway Computers

Gateway Computers

Binky 16 years ago
I'm looking for a new video card for the computer we got from some company that was getting rid of them. It's a Gateway, and apparently it's really hard to find a video card that works with a Gateway computer. Anyone have any suggestions?
#
Anonymous1157 16 years ago
Not if you don't post specs. However, if you want something that'll just work, try one of these. Providing you have the hardware requirements, it should immediately work.
#
Binky 16 years ago
Like what type of specs?
It's a:
1 GHz
512 mb RAM
The card slot is a:
AGP 4x(Apparently that can run 8x cards, but they don't run at 8x, only 4x, am I right?)

-Edit- Apparently Gateway computers are picky, but I only have a couple people confirm this, so I don't know.
#
Well, that sort of machine should be able to run any GFX. Maybe the only reason it doesn't work with some cards is because they have to be small enough to fit in the case? Try a few of the cards you might have lying around in the house.

The only other reason for a card not working is that it physically doesn't fit due to a tab. NEVER REMOVE THE TAB, but find cards that have little slits in the connector where the slots are. Any relatively new card should have such a slit in both possible locations, and should work.
#
Binky 16 years ago
Well, I had put a GeForce 2 in it before, and I got it in there, it seemed to fit fine, but it didn't run most hardware accelerated games and stuff right. And then after a bit, it just messed up completely. We tried it in the computer it originally was in and worked right in, and it was messed up too. It was either the system that messed it up, or more likely, the card just was at the end of it's life or it wasn't handled right, I don't know. I hope I didn't mishandle it. But I got the card that works fine in this computer into the old computer and out and back into this computer, so I don't know.
#
Sounds kinda like the card shorting. You're screwed.

I heard some of the Dell boards have purposely-rewired connectors so that any attempt at combining Dell and generic parts causes a gigantic supernova. You should do some research on the motherboard in your Gateway, since it might have a similar problem. I wouldn't really know, though. I usually avoid pre-built computers because they tend to be more expensive than DIY ones, thankyouverymuch.
#
Binky 16 years ago
Actually, we got this computer for free.
I looked at some software that shows the computer hardware and stuff, and the motherboard is an Intel Easton D815EEA. I'll look it up.
#
Vacuus 16 years ago
Oh dear. Reading some specs on your motherboard here, and im rather worried... SDRAM? Max RAM of 512mb? Older Arch Intel CPU? Seriously man, what do you plan to use it for? Gaming? In which case I'ld get a cheap and nasty FX2000/Radeon 9200.. There aint much point in putting anything better in it, and atleast this way, if the thing doesn't work in your Gateway, you didn't waste too much moola...

Anon, ever heard of Hardware Conflicts? One bus type on both ends doesn't guarantee a card will work - sometimes hardware manufacturers skip a beat in design, and, well, cause what I'm guessing Blinky has.
#
I think you missed my point. Namely, "Look mom, I made a joke!"

... But you do have a point. If you seriously look into the specs for some of this free hardware, you'll find that a lot of it really is worth -- DUDE, I WANT THAT BOARD! If I'm seeing this right, you have FIVE PCI SLOTS!
#
Binky 16 years ago
Well, I was thinking about an FX 5500. I asked about it on the Nvidia forums, and a guy found the whole specs for the motherboard, and he said it should work fine, as long as the video card fits in the case, which it should. And Anonymous, are you being sarcastic?
#
No, I'm not. I have four PCI-e slots, except I only have one graphics card and I don't know what the x1 slots are for. That means I only get THREE PCI slots. Kinda sucks.
#
Forum » Gateway Computers

Your email:
Your name: