Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Playing offline driftmoon?

Playing offline driftmoon?

Tylerryan (guest) 11 years ago
Hi. I played the driftmoon demo, found it while searching for some interesting old school type games to play. At first I felt I'd dislike the game, but through boredom decided to tie it a go. I found myself beating the demo, and really enjoyed the whole experiance! Kudos for making a fun/interesting game! That said, I downloaded the demo at my parents and installed it at my house. I don't have the Internet.

Will I be able to buy driftmoon at my parents and install/play the full game offline aty place? I'm ready to lay down some $ to support you, but if I need a constant connection I'm screwed. Obviously brining my pc to their house is doable, so long as its just for activation or patches. But I'd rather not drag my tower here if I don't have to.

Also, will I be able to download updates and install them offline? Or must I do the above(bring pc to connection)? I do it now for most games anyways.

Thanks love the game!
#
Endymion 11 years ago
No need for internet for anything essential as far as I know. You can update and get mods easier with internet but that's mostly it I think.
#
Amarth 11 years ago
You'll also need to activate your copy over the internet IIRC. But I think that only needs to happen once.
#
ville 11 years ago
Glad to hear you've liked Driftmoon!

The game does require a one-time activation online, but after that it should work off-line. You can get updates simply by installing a new version.
#
Tylerryan (guest) 11 years ago
Thanks alot for the help. I'm fine with dragging my pc to the net, since this is demanded by most newer games these days! Im looking forward to buying, and playing more!

#
Azsam (guest) 11 years ago
An online activation ? That's kind of sad... I understand of course that you want to protect your creation (which, by the way, is a great game), but I really thought that this kind of DRM was mostly a greedy big publisher's thing. I don't regret my pre-order of Driftmoon, made more than a year ago, but this DRM leaves a bitter taste...
#
ville 11 years ago
Don't worry, it's one-time only, and smooth as silk.
#
pete (guest) 11 years ago
It's not like you can even call it DRM. I guess it's more a small "please buy the game if you like it" reminder for those who download it. One thing is certain, it won't stop anyone wanting to crack it for even 10 minutes.
The whole "AMAGAD I HAVE TO BE ON THE INTERNET!?"-outrage amoung the indie game playerbase is imo so utterly silly and blown out of proportion. Yes always-on DRM is horrible, but a one-time activation has been the norm since the early 90s shareware stuff. If you can't deal with the fact that game devs want at least a token way of making sure users have paid for their product you are really just being inane.

Also I really don't think Ville or Anne would hire lawyers to sue you if you decided to remove it/do whatever to it as long as you paid for it first.
#
Pete 11 years ago
I was going to post something negative on pointless necro posts but then I didnt.

(but really what was the point of that post)
#
ville 11 years ago
I like the activation system, basically it allows going from the demo version directly to the full version with just giving it one key, no additional installs required. That way it actually benefits the player, because he/she can easily continue from their last save.
#
Silverhawk85 11 years ago
Hi,

I'm new here and I really like Drifmoon, but also dislike online activations. OK I accept that it is necessary to protect your game but it makes no sense to activate it online because it don't prevents that I install the game on many other computers with my key if I want to (but I don't). Or are there any install limitations? Then you can also make an offline key activation with the same benefits of the onlineactivation but without the force to be online for activation and the force for you to keep the activation servers running or continuous paying for DRM services. It would be a win win situation.

Edited 11 years ago
#
mugsy (guest) 11 years ago
Hi,
I have just bought driftmoon and was a bit disappointed to see the online activation DRM. I often start replaying a game after a few year's break. That may mean a different computer on which I have to reactivate my copy, assuming that the servers are still operational to verify my code. Would it be possible to release a DRM free copy of this great game a couple of years down the track (after sales have dropped off)?
#
ville 11 years ago
No worries! Our servers won't drop out, and if we (theoretically) ever go out of business, we'll make sure you'll get an activation-free copy.
#
mugsy (guest) 11 years ago
Sounds good. I'm happy with that
#
Forum » Playing offline driftmoon?

Your email:
Your name: