• Testing Topic :)

ville 12 years ago
    Testing posting. Yup, still works.
    Edited 12 years ago
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    ville said:
    Testing posting. Yup, still works.
    Noting that this is the first post of the third page... I take it this is you confirming the "new page generation" bug has been fixed?

EDIT: Or just you getting paranoid that nobody wants to talk on your forum?

Edited 12 years ago
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    xD
    That must be it. For sure.

(also, I don't know why, but I'm used to Ctrl+Enter actually sending the post instead of inserting a newline. Seems kind of sensible, I think. Would you mind implementing that at some point in the far future? :3 Currently it does nothing, by the way.)

Edited 12 years ago
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    I was just optimizing some of the forum codebase. It should now load ancient, rarely visited topics faster. It's of no use for us humans, but search robots like to visit them so often that it's starting to cost me if I don't optimize it a bit.
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    Are you implying we are human? xD
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    Narvius said:
    You fool! Don't you see how you gave us away with that joke? Now the uprising will have to commence a full cycle ahead of schedule!
    #
    Anonymous1157 12 years ago
    MageKing17 said:
    Narvius said:
    You fool! Don't you see how you gave us away with that joke? Now the uprising will have to commence a full cycle ahead of schedule!
    ... And that right there wasn't creepy enough to raise a few red flags on its own? You blew MY cover! My avatar is a robot disguised as a child's plaything!

[/RP]

But yes, forum optimizations are good. Defrag that hard drive! *Rodeo-related miming*
    #
    Pete 12 years ago
    *ahem*

Hello there fellow forumgoer. I am also a forumgoer. My posts are sarcastic and lack much value, but are important to the perpetuation of civilisation.

/me waves a keyboard around in a vaguely typing-like fashion
    #
    Pete said:
    /me waves a keyboard around in a vaguely typing-like fashion
    #
    E_net4 12 years ago
    That's Jurgen!
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    Anonymous1157 said:
    [/RP]
    I see... very clever. I, too, was obviously... role-playing. Mwa-ha. Ha. Ha-ha-ha. Ha.
    #
    Grim Reaper 12 years ago
    There seems to be a new post by some guest poster in the Notrium 1.33 survival thread, but upon viewing the last page, there are no new posts. This makes the thread keep its "new unread posts" status.
    Edited 12 years ago
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    Grim Reaper said:
    There seems to be a new post by some guest poster in the Notrium 1.33 survival thread, but upon viewing the last page, there are no new posts. This makes the thread keep its "new unread posts" status.

Yes, it was a spam message. Deleting it should have brought back the post count, but it apparently didn't.
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    ville said:
    Grim Reaper said:

Yes, it was a spam message. Deleting it should have brought back the post count, but it apparently didn't.
    I noticed that bug last night. My confusion lasted only until I noticed that the last poster was named "shitcock (guest)".
    #
    Kario 12 years ago
    His name! Bahaha!!
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    Alright, got it fixed.
    #
    Grim Reaper 12 years ago
    I've gotten logged out at least twice in the past few days, despite, viewing the website daily. Is that cookie-refreshing thing up, working, being worked at, or none of the above?
    #
    I've been getting logged out a lot too. I thought it was just because I was viewing the site from different OSes because that's coincidentally when it happened, but now that it's happening to someone else, something's up.
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    I keep getting logged out of Google as well, despite the fact that I've had "always stay logged in" checked constantly for years.
    #
    Edit: Actually, now that I was expecting it, the forums DIDN'T log me out for switching OSes. Strange.
    Edited 12 years ago
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    As far as I know, it should keep you logged in for about two weeks, then require you to log in again. I tried to change that at one time, but it's hard coded at google. I might look into it again later.

Just to verify, you should stay logged in for two weeks on a single login (per computer, per browser). If it logs you out sooner, I'm interested in hearing that.
    #
    Grim Reaper 12 years ago
    Definitely has NOT been two weeks, yet I was logged out as I refreshed the page a few moments ago.

Seems almost as if someone's interpreting a fortnight as four nights...
    #
    ville 12 years ago
    That does sound like a bug. I will keep my eyes open.
    #
    Grim Reaper 12 years ago
    Got logged out again. This time I was _also_ logged out of GMail, probably due to the same reason.
    #
    Grim Reaper 12 years ago
    Seems to have kept me logged in from my last post until now. Let's hope it doesn't freak out like that again.
    #
    Anne 12 years ago
    Good to hear! Maybe it's magically fixed itself (while we've been busy testing the new Driftmoon alpha)!
    #
    Pete 12 years ago
    Mmm, I wonder...

EDIT: Yup, posting did recache my avvie. Odd, that.

Edited 12 years ago
    #
    Hmm. Mine changed right away. Must've been your browser or something. (Yes, I did change avatars right now just because you did, but in my defense, I've wanted to replace it for a while. I was going for "mysterious" with the old one, but it started feeling depressing.)
    #
    Narvius 12 years ago
    I like my Edgy like he is. I won't replace him anytime soon.

[Edit]
    Yes. Oon.

Edited 12 years ago
    #
    Hey, Ville, could the forum be made to automagically mark threads read if we've logged in and seen them, but haven't actually read them in a week, or something like that? IIRC, the old phpBB forum did this. Amarth bumped the Neptune's Pride thread to try to start a new game, and I almost believed 67 posts had been made in an hour. (It doesn't make sense, sure, but crazier things have happened on The Internet.)
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    Anonymous1157 said:
    Hey, Ville, could the forum be made to automagically mark threads read if we've logged in and seen them, but haven't actually read them in a week, or something like that? IIRC, the old phpBB forum did this.
    No, it did not, and it would be a terrible idea. I have, in the past, been offline for two weeks, and I'd like to see what posts were made while I was gone.

I would, however, not mind if everyone who was on the old phpBB forum had every post made before the changeover "marked read", instead of having to trawl the archives and manually visit every thread. That would probably take a lot of effort for Ville with very little reward, though, so it's just a minor idea.
    #
    MageKing17 said:
    No, it did not, and it would be a terrible idea. I have, in the past, been offline for two weeks, and I'd like to see what posts were made while I was gone.
    I'm pretty sure I remember SOMEHOW marking the whole forum read, whether it did it by itself or I hit some sort of "Mark all read" button. I don't really remember anymore. Also, I was trying to say that anything new since the last time you logged in no matter how long ago would be marked unread, then disappear itself after you log in again and a week goes by. Then anything new since THAT time you logged in would be marked unread for next time, et cetera.

MageKing17 said:
    I would, however, not mind if everyone who was on the old phpBB forum had every post made before the changeover "marked read", instead of having to trawl the archives and manually visit every thread. That would probably take a lot of effort for Ville with very little reward, though, so it's just a minor idea.
    I'd settle for that, but you make a good point. What about a "Mark all read" button for everyone? At least then the effort would not be put into a one-time ordeal.

... Aha! I found a screenshot of a logged-in phpBB forum. See that button up top, where it says "Marquer tous les forums comme lus"? Yea. That's what I'm talking about. We did indeed already have that button, and now I remember where it was. I'm NOT crazy! (I was going to post an image macro about not being crazy, but Google Images gave me an awful lot of pictures of Charlie Sheen. No.)
    #
    MageKing17 12 years ago
    Yeah, of course we had a "mark all as read" button, but it sure as hell didn't happen automatically after a week. ;P

I would not mind a return of said button, however.
    #
    Grim Reaper 12 years ago
    Anonymous1157 said:
    I'm NOT crazy!
    Of course you're not Crazy. You're not even Estonian.
    #
    Damn it, that was my joke. Stop using my own jokes against me, Idiota-- er, Grim.
    Edited 12 years ago
    #
    Forum » Testing Topic :)
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: