Register
Email: Password:
Forum » AETAS Discussion Thread
  • « previous
  • » next
  • AETAS Discussion Thread

Zombie 17 years ago
    No idea how it will change yet. Restart will happen when and if people want it to happen.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    No-one seems interested in continueing AETAS as it currently is...

Anywho, I suggest a restart, accompanied with a change; from the regular-type space setting into a Steampunk-styled (ya know, steam engines and stuff like that) setting (with space travel if people want it, although one planet might be big enough for single players to roam for a while).
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    Yea, I think it's time to do a restart too, with a set setting.
    I agree with the steampunk-style, as long at it keeps a metallic touch and a dark atmosphere.

We could also have several civilisations, and thus several settings.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "The Gemini" said:
    I agree with the steampunk-style, as long at it keeps a metallic touch and a dark atmosphere.
    I was thinking more of the utopian style instead of the dystopian style...

Anywho, let's see what others think and so on.
    #
    Cejer 17 years ago
    I think that a Steampunk setting might work. I'd vote for a small region, that used to be utopian but has rapidly become dystopian. I'll try and upload something to give you all an idea about what I'd like.
    #
    Barebones 17 years ago
    Ridin' the Milky Way Hyperspace River...

It's also hard to not have a dark setting for steampunk. It's basically grime, smog, and violent gunplay. I couldn't see a steampunk setting in anything colorful or utopian for that matter.
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "Wikipedia" said:
    It is often associated with cyberpunk and shares a similar fanbase but developed as a separate movement (though with considerable influence on each other). Their main difference beyond the chronological differences in settings is that Steampunk settings tend to be less obviously dystopian.
    #
    Idiota 17 years ago
    I'm out guys. I don't have enough time to post in good enough quality, nor do I feel like freeing time for it.
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    If it's cyberpunk, i might just be in.

But steampunk... i shall have to ponder about it...
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    But steampunk... i shall have to ponder about it...
    Steampunk is kinda like cyberpunk, 'cept instead of all them electronical gadgets, you have more in the lines of hydraulic and mechanical trinkets. Boy, those things are...erm...gadgety? Yes! Gadgety!
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    I kinda figured that out, yes.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    Then what's with the hesitation?
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    Well, i simply find steampunk less interesting than cyberpunk.
    #
    Anonymous1157 17 years ago
    It sounds interesting, but if I was the one who killed the OpenRP...

*walks away slowly*
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    We could make some sort of a fusion between cyberpunk and steampunk, where high-tech equipment is supported by crude inventions.
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    Oh, the ideas!

*runs off doodling*
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    So, I have two questions.

1. Anyone else with a comment?

2. Why is the forum telling me that somebody with the name "Spam King" have posted here, but in the thread, Crazy is the last poster?
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    Steampunk + Cyberpunk = MADE OF WIN
    #
    Thaif 17 years ago
    Nice to see people talking about Steampunk, but the amalgam of Cyber & Steam doesn't sound, how to put this, wise. It's like putting sugar to honey: They don't mix properly and it tastes too sweet.
    Of course this is coming from a loyal Steampunk:ist.
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    We'll see... i have some ideas...
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    How 'bout having two (or more) factions in the thing, and make one utilize steampunk tech and the other utilize cyberpunk tech?
    #
    Idiota 17 years ago
    Nah that won't work I think. It's the one or the other. But, if you want my opinion, I think after 2 science fiction RP's, I think it's time for something other than highly advanced gadgets. Steampunk can sure be a lot of fun. I'm still not going to participate, jus thought that I'd drop my opinion.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    Ok, let us vote. Those in favour of Steampunk AETAS say "aye". Those against Steampunk AETAS, and thus in favour of Cyberpunk AETAS, say "ney".

AYE!
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    ... nay.
    (bug fixed)
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    Nay.

Sorry, Grim, but I just love cybernetic implants so much!

"E_net4" said:
    ... ney?
    It should actually be "yay or nay," but I suppose since he's from that crazy country out there in wherever-the-hell-he-lives, I can let it slide this time.

Yes, I know Grim's Finnish. It's funnier this way.
    #
    Barebones 17 years ago
    Aye, as long as there are no medieval fantasy elements in Steampunk, I'm alright with it. (I.e. structures floating on islands in mid-air.)

Ney, but we need some plot with lots of artificial elements involved. (I.e. fabrication of elements, or hedonistic societies).
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "Barebones" said:
    (I.e. structures floating on islands in mid-air.)
    I recall Grim had an idea of a steampunk-based floating fortress, but it didn't involve magic. Does that count?

"Barebones" said:
    Ney, but we need some plot with lots of artificial elements involved. (I.e. fabrication of elements, or hedonistic societies).
    ...So, which is it?
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    "Barebones" said:
    (I.e. structures floating on islands in mid-air.)
    I recall Grim had an idea of a steampunk-based floating fortress, but it didn't involve magic. Does that count?
    That was actually a SPACE STATION, which happens to be large enough to be a whole city.
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    Fixed, MK, you may consider it as a nay.
    2 steampunk votes 'n'
    2 cyberpunk votes...
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    Anope.

Cyberpunk FTW.

And the difference between a fantasy floating island and a steampunk floating island is that in fantasy, the island would float on magic or something. In steapunk, some sort of gadget (magnet?) would be holding it up.
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    "Crazy" said:
    Anope.

Cyberpunk FTW.

And the difference between a fantasy floating island and a steampunk floating island is that in fantasy, the island would float on magic or something. In steapunk, some sort of gadget (magnet?) would be holding it up.
    What about a cyberpunk floating island? How could it flote, i mean, float?
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    Thrusters.
    #
    E_net4 17 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    Thrusters.
    riight.
    3 votes for cyberpunks
    2 votes for steampunks AND
    [OT]10000 votes for Jay Leno (in another poll)[/OT]
    #
    Cejer 17 years ago
    Well, both options are a little too high tech for my tastes. I'd really like a swords vs. sorcery. And by that I mean we would all have low medieval equipment fighting against something unknown, alien, and horrifically lethal. But...

AYE!

We've practically played cyberpunk the last two times (it was available, and the Aegrus were using it), and I don't think anyone really got into that setting. It was more of a passing fancy.

Even more important than the setting is the plot hooks scattered about.

Think about this, there are about six billion people on Earth. If you picked 7-12 people at random, would you get a group of people whose lives entangle and produce an event of epic proportions?
    Now pick 7-12 U.S. soldiers in Baghdad. What are the chances their lives will entangle and produce an event of epic proportions? It’s certainly not high, but it is higher than random people with no unifying trait without a common goal.

I think we need some kind of a plot or unifying factor to get this RP off of the ground.
    #
    Crazy 17 years ago
    That was sci-fi, not cyberpunk. Cyberpunk, though a subculture of sci-fi, is very different.
    #
    Forum » AETAS Discussion Thread
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: