Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Maths conversation
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Maths conversation

Amarth 15 years ago
    I'm also unfamiliar with the notation, but it looks okay. Basically, 5/9 = 0.555..., and 123/999 = 0.123123123...

The argument in the other way is indeed as you say:
    X = 0.555...
    10X = 5.555...
    9x = 5
    X = 5/9

And thus indeed, 0.999... = 1.

Also note that 0.999... = 1 = 1.000... Three different ways to write down the same number. It's just the way the decimal system works.
    #
    E_net4 15 years ago
    I should keep these things in mind to scare my schoolmates. They know about Maths as much as a cricket.
    #
    Murska 15 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    I should keep these things in mind to scare my schoolmates. They know about Maths as much as a cricket.

How do you know, a cricket might know quite a lot about maths but just not have the ability to communicate with us to show it?
    #
    Narvius 15 years ago
    Well, maybe his schoolmates *do* know it but can't explain it, as well?
    #
    Murska 15 years ago
    "Cheater" said:

I'm sure they, at least most of them, do have a way to communicate with people. Hopefully.

Anyway, the point was about knowledge on maths, and I guess it's possible that they know a lot about it but just haven't ever shown it.
    #
    E_net4 15 years ago
    "Murska" said:
    "Cheater" said:

I'm sure they, at least most of them, do have a way to communicate with people. Hopefully.

Anyway, the point was about knowledge on maths, and I guess it's possible that they know a lot about it but just haven't ever shown it.
    They're no geeks, man! They hate maths and they don't like talking about it. As in, they don't feel like talking about Maths as much as crickets.
    #
    Amarth 15 years ago
    I think trying to impress them with your mathematical knowledge might slightly backfire.

[evil]Do try it, though.[/evil]
    #
    Murska 15 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    "Murska" said:
    "Cheater" said:

They're no geeks, man! They hate maths and they don't like talking about it. As in, they don't feel like talking about Maths as much as crickets.

I've never seen crickets talk about maths much, so I'm guessing if they talk about maths less than crickets do, they REALLY don't like talking about maths.
    #
    Narvius 15 years ago
    As a little back to topic:

I found another explanation of the stuff I wrote above.
    For example 0,(123) * 999 = 123, simply because 0,(123) = 123 / 999.
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    Took you that long to realize, eh?
    #
    Narvius 15 years ago
    ...uh, yes.
    The simpliest ways are usually avoided by me ^.^
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    123/999*999 hmm.... wonder what's the answer to that one.

I'm back btw for those that have missed me the past month.
    #
    Amarth 15 years ago
    Finally. Clean up the spam in Notrium modding, would you kindly? It's only there for half a year.
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    Sometimes spam has it's uses, like now. Anyway. I've been slacking when it comes to any forum other than general talk, assuming that the other mods would take care of the problems in the forums generally seen as more on-topic. But I've seen the light and I'll expand my 'reign' to other territories.
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    Then get rid of this topic, would you?

Also, we miss you in IRC.
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    Heh? Really thought I deleted that topic... :/ Anyhow, I know I'm not on IRC much these days, and it's taken me some time to reach this conclusion, but I honestly can't be arsed to log in to IRC these days because I'm not using my (brand new) laptop as much as I used my PC before it died. I can log in and idle if you want but well, I kinda think it's better is you select someone to give the scepter to.
    #
    MageKing17 15 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    Heh? Really thought I deleted that topic... :/ Anyhow, I know I'm not on IRC much these days, and it's taken me some time to reach this conclusion, but I honestly can't be arsed to log in to IRC these days because I'm not using my (brand new) laptop as much as I used my PC before it died. I can log in and idle if you want but well, I kinda think it's better is you select someone to give the scepter to.
    Well, assuming she didn't change any settings, Oni had successor status, and is therefore the Founder. We can leave it at that, I suppose.

We'll kinda miss you, though.
    #
    Murska 15 years ago
    "Idiota" said:

Yeah, we'll miss you. The chatroom's dying.
    #
    Idiota 15 years ago
    Yes, well, this is just the result of a process that started a long time ago. Having less fun behind the computer and more fun doing other stuff. Stil, feels good to sometimes retreat from the world of stupidity and shelter with you guys. :p
    #
    E_net4 15 years ago
    "Murska" said:
    "Idiota" said:

Yeah, we'll miss you. The chatroom's dying.
    I'm also afraid of all this. We're still a long time away from Cormoon to be released, and thus for the forums/IRC to flourish.
    #
    Forum » Maths conversation
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: