Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Let's play oldies!
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Let's play oldies!

DRL 14 years ago
    If in your game´s "pack" the Krynn series is included (they are based on the same books that "War of the Lance"; in fact you can play races from there.) I can write a review for them if you want .
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    Don't think the Krynn series is included, sorry.

Also sorry for the slowdown, university is killing me. And the next few games are all biggies. I'll get around to it.
    #
    DRL 14 years ago
    No problem. Anyway, old games have concepts that today are forgotten. Most games today have good graphics and lots of action; (apart from the fact that it makes non-sense to me) you only have a few hours of play, compared to many games where you spent hours. I remember, when I was younger I used to play Dune 2 (and I remember that I finished every house). I know that the AI is today considered obsolete and inefficient, but back those days it was innovative... Ah, those old days
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    "DRL" said:
    I remember, when I was younger I used to play Dune 2 (and I remember that I finished every house).
    How did you?

I understand Amarth's situation. I'm also in University, but I barely started, which means it's most likely that he's having a heavier load.
    #
    Anonymous1157 14 years ago
    Do feel free to review the Krynn series anyways. If Amarth can't keep up with writing his own reviews, he can at least take more guest reviews to keep everyone interested until he manages to squeeze in enough time. In fact, this could become our... uh... "community" project to draw attention to the forum, which will in turn draw people to Ville's games, leading to more sales, which might lead to a big push to make Notrium 2 or a revival for Notrium3D.
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    In fact, this could become our... uh... "community" project to draw attention to the forum, which will in turn draw people to Ville's games, leading to more sales, which might lead to a big push to make Notrium 2 or a revival for Notrium3D.
    You shall lol at this.
    #
    DRL 14 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    "DRL" said:
    I remember, when I was younger I used to play Dune 2 (and I remember that I finished every house).
    How did you?

I understand Amarth's situation. I'm also in University, but I barely started, which means it's most likely that he's having a heavier load.
    Sorry but I did not understand what you tried to say. I understand Amarth being busy with university, but this has nothing to with that, at least not intentionaly. All I tried to say was something like "Oldies have many concepts that today are forgotten, I remember when I played game ´X´, and finished the storyline for all characters". Also sorry if I have misunderstood you.
    #
    Anonymous1157 14 years ago
    "DRL" said:
    Sorry but I did not understand what you tried to say. I understand Amarth being busy with university, but this has nothing to with that, at least not intentionaly. All I tried to say was something like "Oldies have many concepts that today are forgotten, I remember when I played game ´X´, and finished the storyline for all characters". Also sorry if I have misunderstood you.
    E mentioned that he was surprised that you managed to fully explore Dune 2, then switched topics and empathized for Amarth.
    "E_net4" said:
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    In fact, this could become our... uh... "community" project to draw attention to the forum, which will in turn draw people to Ville's games, leading to more sales, which might lead to a big push to make Notrium 2 or a revival for Notrium3D.
    You shall lol at this.
    Uh... Thanks?
    #
    DRL 14 years ago
    If that is the case, I am sorry because I have misunderstood you. And finishing Dune 2 is not that hard once you are past the "tank-wave" (that is stage 3?) Basically you do not start with tanks, but you have to fight them off.
    I remember the following, which is from what I have played:
    Harkonnen, they are the easiest house to play with, their special unit is the Devastator, it is the most powerfull in-game unit, and it is able to self destruct, causing terrible damage in the vicinity. I finished it first. Their palace ability is the "Death Hand", a missile that is called in and attacks an area.
    Ordos, they are the hardest, their special unit is the Deviator, which is able to convert some enemy units to your side... for some time, then they will again attack you. I finished it second. Their palace ability involves calling in a "Saboteur", which goes into an enemy building, and damages it greatly, sometimes destroying it.
    Atreides, average in dificulty, they biggest drawback is their infantry; but that is if you want to capture enemy buildings. Their especial unit is the Sonic Tank, it has a great attack but is relatively weak in hitpoints (compared to other tanks). The Atreides´ palace ability involves calling in Freemen troopers, which are their allies.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hopefully that is enought "proof", if we can call it that way. Oh, and I think that it will be a good idea, but of course this is Amarth´s hobby. Maybe, I can review Dune 2? That *surely* must be there
    #
    Murska 14 years ago
    I remember making a row of sonic tanks which devastated everything due to their attacks passing through enemies, but they could also damage friendlies so the formation was hard to move.

I think that might've been Dune 2000 tho.
    #
    DRL 14 years ago
    If Amarth lets me review the game, I will also upload my incomplete campaing-mod for Dune 2. Basically the Ordos are unchanged, but the Atreides have a completely new campaing (allthrough it is incomplete now) and you can play as the Mercenary (Which replaces the Harkonnen campaing). However, I do not know when I will finish it, since it has been a long time I stopped to make chages to it.

P.S.: Sorry Amarth for going too much off-topic.
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    Eh, I dunno. Dune 2 is not on the list (it's at the recommendations) so that means it'll take at least 3 years for me to get there. And it also means it's a game someone specifically told me to play and review. So I'm sorry, but rather not.

I could link to your campaign though, no problem. But remind me in 3 years.
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    I support this project. Oldies can be a lot of fun, but it kinda does depend on the age they're from. Tell me when you hit Alleycat. I played that a lot in my youth.
    I've just reviewed Alley Cat! Took me a bit longer than one month to get there.

Next on the list are a whole bunch of games I never played. Interesting. Well, and try to get Alien Breed: Tower Assault working. It did work earlier, no idea why it suddenly stopped working...
    #
    E_net4 13 years ago
    Awesome! Alley Cat!
    I loved it back in the old times. And I admit I didn't know about the Alt key when I was a kid.
    It helps a bit when you want to reach the girl cat (dropping presents will make rival cats disappear).

Also, I don't believe you never heard of the ninja rope. Don't you know about all those game modes with the ninja rope?
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    Also, I don't believe you never heard of the ninja rope. Don't you know about all those game modes with the ninja rope?
    Eh, I know about the ninja ropes, just not all the tricks you can do with it. That video is awesome.
    #
    E_net4 13 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    "E_net4" said:
    Eh, I know about the ninja ropes, just not all the tricks you can do with it. That video is awesome.
    I just looked for one at random with such a feature. I remember playing a Shopper gamemode, where the goal was to catch a crate using the rope and then attack from the rope. Another famous game mode is WxW, where not only you need to catch a crate but also to touch some walls before attacking.
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    So. Eh. Project has been going for a year. I did some evaluation. And stuff. Might have been alcohol-induced. Then again, might not have been.

I am so going to hate myself in a month from now.
    #
    E_net4 13 years ago
    Yarr! You don't need StarCraft when you have oldies.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    Print it and put it somewhere near your computer screen
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    Print it and put it somewhere near your computer screen
    Ahahah. Nice one

I have it printed here, though since it's not on nice thick paper/cardboard, lacks any sort of coating and was printed on a cheap inkjet printer, it looks kind of flimsy. On the positive side, it's printed way bigger than your standard Magic card, which makes me feel all special inside.

EDIT: i guess this is technically fanart? Huh. My life is complete now.
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    See? We're totally supporting you :>
    #
    Anonymous1157 13 years ago
    "Fan art" anagrams into "an fart".

Why I needed to say that, I do not know. But yes, we're all here for you in your ongoing mission to play and review these games. Hell, if you run into some games that you can't figure out, ask us to review them for you!
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    Technically it's "a fart", not "an fart"... >
    #
    E_net4 13 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    Technically it's "a fart", not "an fart"... >
    Or "an' fart ".
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    Okay, next one is going to be a lot of fun... Alter Ego is shipped in three files, each with extension TD0. A bit of the Google magic informed me that these are Teledisk files. Teledisk is a program that can compress and decompress raw floppy disk images to/from a file. I have the teledisk executable (it's also part of the pack) but it needs very low-level access, something you need either windows 98 or lower or plain DOS for. XP, DosBox, all no go. And then I don't even have disks to write it to yet. I mean, seriously. I think I couldn't buy them anymore even if I wanted them. With my luck I'll even need the big 5.25" ones, which I couldn't fit in a computer I owned the last 15 years even if I wanted to.

I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to get this one running. Best lead I got was via Bochs, which is fullblown over-the-top virtualization stuff, and then see if I can find a DOS image or something. Perhaps one of the open source DOS clones, though I'm not sure if they are good enough for this lowlevel stuff.

Engaging hacker mode...
    #
    NeoGangster 13 years ago
    or get alter ego from another source like <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/263/Alter+Ego.html">http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/263/Alter+Ego.html</a><!-- m -->
    #
    Amarth 13 years ago
    <.<
    >.>

That sound kinda illegal.

And anyway this is fun. So there.
    #
    NeoGangster 13 years ago
    you can't download a game there which is still sold, it is illegal in some point but not really as the creator of this game just don't exist or care for it anymore. You can't buy it anywhere or you couldn't download it on that page
    #
    Anonymous1157 13 years ago
    Technically, abandonware websites are illegal because almost all of those games still have copyrights attached to them that could still be held by whoever bought out the company, whether or not they realize that they own the copyrights.

... Besides, why download something twice when you can figure out how to work with what you have?
    #
    MageKing17 13 years ago
    "Narvius" said:
    (Amarth card)
    Is it a good sign or a bad sign that all I can see when I look at this are the number of things wrong with it?
    #
    Narvius 13 years ago
    Nah, it just means you've played MtG lately.
    #
    E_net4 9 years ago
    Amarth said:
    I've picked up a new hobby that should serve me for the next few years. I've found this rather huge collection of old games *somewhere* and I will play and review each and everyone of the 900 games, in alphabetical order. Today, I started with "3D helicopter simulator" and in roughly 5 years time I will hopefully end with "Zyll".
    I had to dig this thread after reading this was posted closely 5 years ago. It's unfortunate you didn't make it. But I hope you still kept the game collection close. Who knows if there's a rare abandoned game among those...

That reminds me, Abandonia is quite short on reviewers, and some of their games still don't have one. It might actually be better to re-order the game review process in order to contribute to the site, if you ever get in the mood again.

Edited 9 years ago
    #
    Amarth 9 years ago
    I've been thinking about it every now and then. Thing is I would rather focus my time on things (technical, entertainment, and everything) that are more relevant to this day and age, and obscure games from 30 years ago aren't.

I might get back to this sometime, but I don't really plan for it.
    #
    Forum » Let's play oldies!
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: