Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Ideas for future Notrium versions
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Ideas for future Notrium versions

ville 16 years ago
    OK, it's time to go on from what was good and bad with the original Notrium, and go on to what would you see as great things to have in future Notrium versions!

So, list your ideas.
    #
    jockmo42 16 years ago
    Wait. Did I read the date right? You actually posted this recently? A new version of Notrium!?

MULTI-PLAYER.
    #
    ville 16 years ago
    I'm mostly just seeing what ideas we would have for it, I'll need to keep those ideas in mind while making the Cormoon engine, as the engine will be later used for Notrium 2.
    #
    Pete 16 years ago
    Now, I write these just as they surface on the pool of my thoughs so you can ignore them if they seem too hard.

Physics.
    Birds eye view once more.
    Roofs.
    Building buildings.
    Some sort of better health system like in Deus Ex.
    Vehicles.
    Sleeping.
    Getting burn real fast if you stand in the middle of a fire.
    Fancy fire.
    More serious endings. (I mean, Stranded II + pirate? WTF?)
    Working computers you can build and them use.
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    More extensive modding capabilities (such as being able to change the perspective easily, remap ALL keys, etcetera)
    Key remapping from the menu
    Gamepad/Joystick support
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    More extensive modding capabilities (such as being able to change the perspective easily, remap ALL keys, etcetera)
    Key remapping from the menu
    Gamepad/Joystick support
    Agreed, specially the gamepad support.

- Faster engine.
    - Player speech.
    - Water.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    *Easier and more powerful way of modding... Something that looks and works like a normal scripting language would be sweet.
    *Multiplayer, obviously.

Also, while not engine-wise, an easy difficulty should be really easy. And when I mean really easy, I mean you shouldn't care that 'the game poses no challenge.'

I would urge you to take accessability guidelines into consideration. A fine starting point is Game Over!, a game trying to bring this to the attention of developers. While some of it may seems over the top, it's important to understand that there are people out there who cannot play the majority of current games and would be very grateful to have a nice game to play.
    #
    Mika 16 years ago
    3D would be nice imo.
    #
    Anarion 16 years ago
    Yeah, 3D, but still with the top down perspective.
    #
    Nuklearni-okurka 16 years ago
    1. More items!
    2. Complicated items combinations.
    3. Maybe item combinating minigame?
    4. More races.
    5. Multiplayer.
    6. Many areas.
    7. More animals/creatures/living beings.
    8. Allies.
    9. WALLS!
    10. Buildings you can walk into.
    11. MAKE IT FREEWARE!
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    "Nuklearni-okurka" said:
    1. More items!
    2. Complicated items combinations.
    3. Maybe item combinating minigame?
    4. More races.
    5. Multiplayer.
    6. Many areas.
    7. More animals/creatures/living beings.
    8. Allies.
    9. WALLS!
    10. Buildings you can walk into.
    11. MAKE IT FREEWARE!
    9. There were walls in Notrium already.
    10. How does that make sense?
    11. It's already freeware too. I just hope Ville won't insert a price on it.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    Mmm, yes. Item combination could perhaps be a bit more complex than just binary. This might be a bit far fetched, but how about having some sort of graph (in the CS sense) where you can add nodes representing items to the left, you can add in nodes representing ways of combining/manipulating those (glue, melting, baking, irradiating, ...) and the eventual node would be the end product. Kind of like the nodes in Blender, if you know them.

Agreed, this exponentially increases the number of combinations. Perhaps you can come up with some way to declaratively describe items ('item X is wooden, round and weighs 2 kg' or something more to the point) so that combinations could be algorithmically deduced, without the mod maker listing them explicitly? That would be quite a paradigm shift.

I don't quite see it working, but perhaps someone else sees something useful in it...
    #
    Like, you build a HUT and then walk into the hut. Like your room or something.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    You can do that if you place some walls and a door... like the Hermit's house.

Agreed, this exponentially increases the number of combinations. Perhaps you can come up with some way to declaratively describe items ('item X is wooden, round and weighs 2 kg' or something more to the point) so that combinations could be algorithmically deduced, without the mod maker listing them explicitly? That would be quite a paradigm shift.
    It wouldn't work so well... Imagine you have 2 objects, which combined, they form a gravitational unit. It would require to set the object to a negative weight, not the sum of the other 2 objects' weight.
    #
    jockmo42 16 years ago
    Okay, so my first post isn't very elaborate. Here's my wish list of features.

*The thing I never liked about combinations is that some times the product item's weight is more than the other two combined.

I'd understand it losing weight, but gaining?

*I'd like to see Notrium be a lot more alive. Harmless wildlife, more depth in nature audio, little touches like that really help the immersion.

*Notrium should be something we won't get bored with easily. There should be plenty to do, and we should be able to survive indefinately with any race we choose.

*The alien's evolution was really cool. I'm pretty sure it was put in to make up for her lack of weapons and human devices, but I'd like to see it in the other races too, even if it was to a lesser degree.

*This game area should be BIG. With plenty of places to explore.

Maybe a whole parallel section with a network of underground caves, equal in size to the surface area! How cool would an underground base be?

*If you implement multi-player, have a way that they can see eachother on the map. Maybe through a beacon item to preserve realism. Then it can be deactivated if the players don't want eachother to know where they are.

*I liked the survival aspect. Everyone will probably chew me out for saying this, but can you do a different effect for hunger? Don't drain health as fast and penalize the player on carrying weight, damage, accuracy, etc. to give equal incentive to find some food. The current starvation system is like being covered in acid.

*Would multiple layers be possible? Then we could play around with flying creatures.

*Water and swimming would be cool too, with aquatic creatures.

*Basically, I'd try to make the engine as flexible as possible. That way, it'd be fun to mod and you could use it for many future projects.

That's it for now, I'll update this post if I think of anything else.
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    I'd like to have the option to mod Notrium to be a sort of Extremely-Low-Quality version of Oblivion, which would then work well on computers not sophisticated enough to run Oblivion properly.
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    Huh, yes, I do agree with that as well.
    Also, having water is a good idea. It creates a nice environment and realism.
    #
    ahrenjb 16 years ago
    If water is present, then the ability to construct boats.

I would like to see a planet with more than a few stretched out remnants of another race. Maybe a post-apoc world with cities to explore, containing all sorts of items and shelter options.

Other survivors. Coming in contact with all sorts of other people that you can help, they can help you, or you can kill them and pillage their camps.

Easier item combination. Combining items shouldn't be guesswork. You should be able to find documents detailing how to construct certain things. Other items could be obvious. For instance you could find a piece of paper explaining what you would need to construct a n explosive charge or how to modify a common SMG you find to a trip-wire gun. THen some things would be simple. Sticks + Lighter = Fire. Battery + Old flashlight = Functional old flashlight.

A way to construct mobile defense drones. Like turrets that follow you.

It should definitely be on a different planet though.

Many ideas, less time. A Notrium 2 could have hundreds of options.
    #
    Maybe a little of Freelancer in Notrium 2? And i suggest to be able to meet other races and ally with them, interact with them and so.
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    Something that I'd like to know...

Since Notrium has multiple endings, which one(s) are you going to use as a part of the main storyline?
    #
    Anonymous1157 16 years ago
    What storyline? "You were a captain/crew member of a ship that got exploded to crap! Now get off the planet." That's not much of a storyline to me.

Now, there's an idea! A formal story for Notrium 2!
    #
    E_net4 16 years ago
    He didn't mean that.
    We have many endings, so we need 1 of them to go on with the story. You would either go on with the story after repairing the escape pod and going away; killing all the aliens eggs and queens; or any other.

Also, the storyline is bigger than you think! Remember the past logs of the player, when they are still on the ship. That is sure a good storyline.

But, of course, it'd be nice to make it even better.
    #
    That didn't seem like much of a storyline to me. Maybe it would if they could be implemented as cutscene-type-things in the new game.
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    That didn't seem like much of a storyline to me. Maybe it would if they could be implemented as cutscene-type-things in the new game.
    Hey, that's an idea.

Proper cutscenes
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:

Well I hope you don't hate Cormoon's storyline quite as much since I'm writing that as well .

What I'd like to see is actually a shift away from full overhead, as it lacked depth. I'd like to see far more done intuitively, rather than through interfaces as well, as I strongly believe that's the true future of gaming.
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    What I'd like to see is actually a shift away from full overhead, as it lacked depth. I'd like to see far more done intuitively, rather than through interfaces as well, as I strongly believe that's the true future of gaming.
    Well, if Notrium 2 is gonna be 3D (and I sincerely hope it will), one could always have movable camera.
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    Well, if Notrium 2 is gonna be 3D (and I sincerely hope it will), one could always have movable camera.

Exactly, quite like the camera Cormoon uses. Just so you're not locked looking straight down. By the way Cormoon's engine already supports 3d models being used instead of 2d graphics.
    #
    Mika 16 years ago
    "ahrenjb" said:

Other survivors. Coming in contact with all sorts of other people that you can help, they can help you, or you can kill them and pillage their camps.

With multiplayer, freaking awsome. You could build up a huge camp with your friends and fight against other races maybe.
    #
    A 2D version of Notrium could theoretically be made to have the camera follow the direction you're looking in (you always look towards the top of the screen).

Ooh! Cormoon can do that? 3D player model pieces!? I haven't tried it yet because I... well, I wanna say I thought it would fail, but I kinda got lazy.
    #
    ahrenjb 16 years ago
    "Mika" said:
    "ahrenjb" said:

With multiplayer, freaking awsome. You could build up a huge camp with your friends and fight against other races maybe.

For that to work you would have to have a MASSIVE play world. It would have to be large enough to maintain that lost sort of feel, while supporting possibly up to 200 players. (I can't really see more).
    #
    Redemption 16 years ago
    A lot of these ideas can be made by modding Notrium 1 (Excluding the multi player ideas).

In the intro Notrium is the second planet for life to be found on, behold:
    "Animations.dat" said:
    ...On a routine mission of mapping the Notrium system you unexpectedly find signs of life on one of the planets...
    ...Finding new life forms is extremely rare, and you quickly take your ship in orbit around the second planet...
    How about the choice to turn your escape pod around to land on the other planet?

The planetoid ending as a cutscene rather than an ending (In the current Notrium this could be done with effect 34). After using the planetoid you turn into a plant lord, giving you a new goal of finding out how to reverse the process.
    #
    Anarion 16 years ago
    Um...that doesn't say there is life on 2 of the planets. It says you find life on one of the planets.
    #
    ville 16 years ago
    I'm glad to see all these idea, keep them coming folks!
    #
    Quanrian 16 years ago
    "ahrenjb" said:
    "Mika" said:
    "ahrenjb" said:

For that to work you would have to have a MASSIVE play world. It would have to be large enough to maintain that lost sort of feel, while supporting possibly up to 200 players. (I can't really see more).

Rather than using a master server, it could just be broken up into many smaller hosted servers, to better represent the isolation factor.
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    Here's something VITAL that should be included:

AUTO-SAVING!
    #
    Forum » Ideas for future Notrium versions
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: