Register
Email: Password:
Forum » AETAS Discussion Thread
  • « previous
  • » next
  • AETAS Discussion Thread

Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    Either continue your previous character, or make another one, Crazy.

Simple as that.
    #
    Crazy 18 years ago
    I'll just make another quantum leap in my story and start stirring things up if i decide to join.

Either that or i'll realize Murdoc's golfball revolution!

Rize and Raze, my golfballs!

Awright, ill join, but i'll need locations of all players and ship specs.

And to what degree are robots and AI machines being used in the AETASverse?
    #
    The Gemini 18 years ago
    Well, every UFDC ship is equiped with an highly advanced computer/AI, and robots are everywhere in the empire's society.
    #
    Cejer 18 years ago
    The Dalgûn also use robotics extensively, although true AI (meaning sentient AI, not quite the same as self-aware) has never been implemented. For tasks that need simple robots, such as welding, their AI’s aren’t much more advanced than AI’s in use today. For difficult tasks, such as combat, the AI’s are considerably more advanced.

Dalgûn ships do not have AI intelligences, although they have effective computer banks to process, for example, the massive sensor input. Robots are used on Dalgûn ships as marines and fighters. Also, every ship used by the Dalgûn is coated with a stealth plating layer. This renders almost all sensors incapable of detecting the Dalgûn ships.
    #
    Crazy 18 years ago
    almost all sensors? Stealth will only protect from radar.
    #
    Cejer 18 years ago
    Incorrect. Almost all sensors monitor some wavelength of EM radiation. The stealth coating happens to absorb all EM radiation. Other theoretically possible sensor methods are exceptionally difficult to use effectively, and standard sensors almost always seem to work, so most races never develop unusually sensor equipment.
    #
    Zombie 18 years ago
    The Aegrus use robotics, android technology, artificial intelligence, and cybernetics quite extensively as well. The Aegrus base has its own AI, and it uses robotics and cybernetics to shift the compound's layout around and modify things. The Aegrus also have delved into biotechnology for a while, and are capable of making biocybernetic/bionic things with a nearly self-aware AI.

Every Aegrus craft, even fighters, have some form of AI. You've never seen the Koneko's AI, by the way, because she is not done being created. A modified standard AI is being used onboard currently, until the Koneko's true AI is complete.
    #
    Cejer 18 years ago
    Gemini, I really feel bad bringing this up after a long post of yours. But the thing is...
    "Idiota" said:
    ... but I will not use abuse Machin's ability to hack. The information he downloaded was 3 seconds of sensor data and a few random files. Not of much importance, I can assure you that.
    The name of the Dalgûn could fit into that category, but locations, empire size, and especially the method of stealth used would be rather important. Also a fragment on Dalgûn tactics would be fairly important. Although, chances of finding any tactics would be low because the combat against the Ferals was the first major combat the Dalgûn have ever been in. The admirals are just winging it.

The rest of the post was fine, but those small parts seem a little too convenient. Although, I don’t think you’d want to fight on the Dalgûn’s home soil with so little preparation.
    #
    Zombie 18 years ago
    Indeed. Three seconds of sensor data and random files that were most likely utterly useless would not magically yield everything the UFDC needs to combat the Dalgûn.

You would know their name. You would know the use nuclear weapons. You would know they exist.

You wouldn't know their technologies. You wouldn't know where they were. You wouldn't know about their responsibility for strikes against the UFDC. You could suspect their responsibility, though.

Also, keep in mind that gravimetric sensors are not infallible. All you need is a gravity source to mask the gravity, or perhaps sporadic gravitic fluxuations... The technology involved in making gravimetric sensors are also involved in making those sensors useless. ^-^

Just so you don't think that gravimetric sensors give you a magic eye to always see the Dalgûn...
    #
    Idiota 18 years ago
    Heh, yes, they're both quite right, Gemini. Information like that is often stored a bit better. I would not even be able to hack it without some sort of physical connection to the ship. Since they're invisible, that might prove a wee bit too hard for poor Garo.

I demand promotion though.

Also, if you wouldn't mind retrofitting the Validus now... I'll be back when the RP lets me.
    #
    Crazy 18 years ago
    Are the whereabouts of the Aegrus compound and UFDC space known to other players?

Also, i've found a way to "detect" Dalgun ships.
    #
    Grim Reaper 18 years ago
    I'm pretty sure Garret knows where the Aegrus compound is.

Perhaps he has been introduced to the data on the boundaries of UFDC space, too.
    #
    The Gemini 18 years ago
    K, I'll rewrite that section, sorry dudes.

The gravimetric sensor wont give the UFDC a magic eye of course, Zombie. The technology just ensures that UFDC will never get caught with their pants down anymore. Stealthed ships may still travel through UFDC space in relative secrecy though.

So, Idiota, your planning to get back in the UFDC military? I didn't think that Machin would ever get back. But that's ok

Well, Carzy, the UFDC is very territorial, and its influence has spread across nearly every system that is neighbooring to it. I'm sure word about it has spread across the entire section of the galaxy it resides in. Don't forget that it's one of the superpowers in the RP.
    #
    Zombie 18 years ago
    Finding the Aegrus compound is not easy, nor is it wise unless you have some sort of deathwish. Imagine coming, uninvited, to the very much hidden compound of a very secretive 'race' of people who's very existance is usually subject to question daily and, if people knew they actually did exist, would then be subjected often to blind hate by most of the galaxy.

The Aegrus know where most everything is. An Aegrus doesn't necessarily even look different from your average person. In fact, you could have several Aegrus working for you just to keep tabs on your actions and thoughts. Nothing more.

The Aegrus like to watch people and to study them. It's become a hobby over the centuries they've been separated from the "normal" populace.

Few find the Aegrus. So far, none have lived long enough to even know why they died. Do not try to find them. They will find you if there is need.

Oh, and don't think that fighting a blazingly pitched battle over a few years which might eventually end in your victory will end then and there. You probably will destroy the compound and end a few Aegrus lives. The rest would probably devour your empire from the inside out in revenge.

Lamia, however, is a different story. She is, by now at least, rather well known. Or she should be. In the 100 year gap she wasn't just toddling about, never straying more than a few sectors from her home... No. She's been to galactic center more than once in that time, and sometimes just for things like some exotic technology or ancient relic to a drink or two and a chat with some non-Aegrus contacts she has making sure that she knows of any trouble. Several pirate raids were never even known about because of her actions and love of blasting large holes clean through pirate ships.

By now, I'd imagine that the general populace of the galaxy has well over a thousand different rumors about her, and scores upon legions of stories, legends, and myths involving her. Some likely well over two or three centuries old. She doesn't keep a low profile unless absolutely necessary.

^-^
    #
    The Gemini 18 years ago
    I imagine that my empire is located "east" of the galaxy core, on the fringes of a spiral arm, if that could be of any help...
    #
    Idiota 17 years ago
    Stickied both AETAS and AETAS discussion. I feel like they're enough part of the forum now to earn the right.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    Stickied both AETAS and AETAS discussion. I feel like they're enough part of the forum now to earn the right.
    Coolios!
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    Nice, man!
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    Scared the shit out of me until I read that, Idiota.

Pity we're all addicted to Oblivion, the AETAS has been suffering.
    #
    Shingo 17 years ago
    Zombie, I'm extremely confused about your talk of "seeds" in Machin and Kaske. I'd like to speak to you about it.
    #
    Cejer 17 years ago
    I've been thinking. We need decide what the source of psionic power is. The easiest way would be to give someone this task. A more democratic method would be to have everyone interested submit a possibility and then vote on their favorite.

The advantages of knowing the source of psionic power are many. It'd be possible to know about effective psionic countermeasures. We'd know who can have psionic abilities. We’d know who can receive psionic messages. There are a few other things I’ve thought of but can’t remember, but there are enough advantages to justify working this out. Fleshing this out would also provide an interesting look into the AETAS galaxy.

I’m going to close by volunteering to flesh this out. For one reason, I can’t bring up a topic and immediately shrug it off to someone else, that’d be rude. For another reason, it will give me a distraction from the deadly siren call of Ocarina of Time.
    #
    Zombie 17 years ago
    Well, I've always thought that everyone (everyone meaning all humanoid creatures) could have some psychic ability.

Psionics would stem from a being's natural energies. It's like aural abilities, but deals more with mental energies affecting the world and others instead of natural energies. Of course, mental energies are natural energies, but then we'd just get into a whole loop of things.

Dampening or restricting psionic or aural abilities (as Lamia and I think some other people have aural abilities as well) would be as simple as creating an inverse energy field around the being to be restrained. Of course, doing this on a large-scale would be all but impossible, so things like universal dampeners that restrict psychic or aural abilities would be the best one could do in a wide area, unless you have several restraining cells.
    #
    Cejer 17 years ago
    I've just written a treatise on psionics that presents another option for the source of psionic abilities. Behold.

So, read it, tell me what you think of it, and then decide if it should become a part of AETAS. Please keep in mind that if it does become part of AETAS it is all extremely out of character knowledge, having been written several thousand years in the future.
    #
    Idiota 17 years ago
    That's very good, Cejer. I would love it if such a thing was to be used in AETAS.

I had been trying to force a way to make Garo become a psion, and your treatise basically nullifies all the grounds I worked that attempt on, forcing me to start over, but I don't care. It's very well written and the ideas ar good.
    #
    Zombie 17 years ago
    That seems acceptable... but just make sure to keep Psionic and Aural abilities separate, if any of you has aural abilities. :3 Just to limit the confusion.
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    Hmm... I may have to work out exactly how Zahibata and Mohimoto's abilities work, now. I think I'll read through this and see what I can come up with.
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    Well, I noticed some... inaccuracies in your descriptions of the two brothers. To be expected, of course, but still... inaccurate.

I am assuming that when you say "psionic stamina," you are referring to how long they can continue using psionic abilities before they "run out" of energy, and need to rest. In that case, you have the two brothers backwards, as it is Zahibata who has more.

I think this confusion may have arisen from one of my earlier posts... however, Zahibata said Mohimoto was more accurate, something else entirely.

Just clearing that up.

Now, I go to think about theoretical physics and how they pertain to psions...
    #
    Idiota 17 years ago
    Someone kick some life back into AETAS... Please?
    #
    Cejer 17 years ago
    Well, I'm glad for the enthusiastic acceptance of my little treatise. I think it's a manifestation of the DM in me.

"MageKing17" said:
    Well, I noticed some... inaccuracies in your descriptions of the two brothers. To be expected, of course, but still... inaccurate.

I am assuming that when you say "psionic stamina," you are referring to how long they can continue using psionic abilities before they "run out" of energy, and need to rest.

I've noticed an… inaccuracy in your perceived inaccuracies in the descriptions of the two brothers. The clause you were thinking of when you objected was this:
    "I" said:
    Mohimoto seemed to have greater psionic dexterity than Zahibata...
    Which is referring to Mohimoto's accuracy in that post you mentioned. This probably got confused with this:
    "I" said:
    Both brothers used a psionic ability to slow aging, and they were able to achieve greater psionic stamina than most human psions.
    Which is simply saying that they're better than most.
    I took especial care to prevent inaccurate descriptions of anyone's character.

"Idiota" said:
    Someone kick some life back into AETAS... Please?
    I would, but I've been waiting for Garo and Kaske to finish up their soul joining... thing, and for Lamia's transport to finish collecting debris. Now with the "buds" planted by Lamia in Kaske's mind, I may have Kaske's XO take over command of Kaske's ship for a while.
    #
    Grim Reaper 17 years ago
    Well, I DID post in the thread yesterday... Was that not enough of an effort?
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "Cejer" said:
    "MageKing17" said:

I am assuming that when you say "psionic stamina," you are referring to how long they can continue using psionic abilities before they "run out" of energy, and need to rest.

I've noticed an… inaccuracy in your perceived inaccuracies in the descriptions of the two brothers. The clause you were thinking of when you objected was this:
    "I" said:
    Mohimoto seemed to have greater psionic dexterity than Zahibata...
    Which is referring to Mohimoto's accuracy in that post you mentioned. This probably got confused with this:
    "I" said:
    Both brothers used a psionic ability to slow aging, and they were able to achieve greater psionic stamina than most human psions.
    Which is simply saying that they're better than most.
    I took especial care to prevent inaccurate descriptions of anyone's character.

I didn't have the thing open when I posted that. I actually still haven't looked at it since.
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    You guys still interested in a map? 'Cause I got some nice textures.
    #
    Idiota 17 years ago
    Keep talking...
    #
    The Gemini 17 years ago
    Well, I took a few pictures of the stars, nebulae and other spacial fenomenas in X2, and I believe by using photoshop, I can make a decent map.

All I want to know if you are still interested. If you are, I want you to post the locations of important landmarks in AETAS. We should also coordinate these locations together, so that the map gets quite accurate. I believe that everyone have their own map drawn in their head, so there might be some clashes when it comes to locations.
    #
    MageKing17 17 years ago
    "The Gemini" said:
    Well, I took a few pictures of the stars, nebulae and other spacial fenomenas in X2, and I believe by using photoshop, I can make a decent map.
    Throw it out the window, then.
    #
    Forum » AETAS Discussion Thread
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: