Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Driftmoon subforum
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Driftmoon subforum

ville 14 years ago
    Usually recording functions are done in any of the more complicated games as a feature of the network system. Driftmoon is way too complex to record gameplay just based on input, as the slightest discrepansies on timing would eventually add up to a completely different simulation. Having said that, I'm still eager to hear a really good use for such a recording feature.
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    A good use for game or gaming? For game - as said, engine cutscenes. For gaming - record hall. Have you seen all those numerous fastest walkthroughs for all that Half-life, Deus Ex, System Shock, etc, etc? I think it would look great if someone posts his Driftmoon/Notrium fastest visual walkthrough and share his interesting moves he made to do it so quick.
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    As to how-to-make, hmm... yeah. The keylogging won't work if playback lags just a bit! I don't see any guides around :/ maybe I googled badly.
    #
    Anonymous1157 14 years ago
    Measuring in game ticks would probably get recording demos by input to a point where it was negligibly off.

Another legitimate use for the recording feature (As if learning what someone else does wasn't enough of a reason, or creating running demos for a mod's main menu) would be recording demos in a format that can be recreated by the game engine itself instead of recorded as a video. Videos can be made misleading, but the format of the demo file can be made hard to edit by hand.
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    Another legitimate use for the recording feature [...] would be recording demos in a format that can be recreated by the game engine itself instead of recorded as a video.
    Isn't that the whole point of a demo? You know, to be a record of input as opposed to space-consuming rendered frames?
    #
    shadowchild123 14 years ago
    just in

"what the heck is going on?"
    I mean i've played notrium but what the heck is "driftmoon"?
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    Oh, Driftmoon is a top-down story based roleplaying game. In the sense it's not like Diablo with tons of fighting, it's more like Baldur's Gate and perhaps Dragon Age of modern games.
    #
    shadowchild123 14 years ago
    oh so it's kinda like a remake of notrium but better?
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    I'd rather say it's a whole new game. Notrium's genre is survival. Driftmoon is RPG. Don't be deceived by the look-from-above, it has other engine, other gameplay, other... everything.

Well, somebody noticed that a Notrium remake could be made perhaps as Driftmoon's mod... I don't remember.
    #
    wolf359 14 years ago
    I'm cheap so I'm gonna ask the most important question. Will it be free?
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    Heh. I hope it won't.
    I really wouldn't mind paying to support ville. It's like 6 games for 1, after all :3
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    It will be shareware. There will be a very nice free demo, and you can get the full excellent version for a very reasonable amount.
    #
    Zankman 14 years ago
    Oh well... Not gonna play the full version I guess.

Not that I mind paying for a such deserving game made by such a deserving creator, but I'm neither on the good side of the recesion and neither do people in my country often buy stuff online.

Who knows, maybe one day.
    #
    Crazy 14 years ago
    So, yeah, sorry to be negative and all, but there's something i noticed that also really bugged me in Notrium.

The attack animations. They're appalling. Ville, i'm sure that as an artist you know very well how a human body moves, i'm sure you know already know that they are quite bad and i'm sure you can do better so i cannot but wonder why you continue to make them as such? Is it an engine limitation?
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    I guess it's a limitation in my head.
    Actually the attack animations have been redone for Driftmoon. When you see the new ones, I'm eager to hear how they could be improved.
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    "Zankman" said:
    Oh well... Not gonna play the full version I guess.

Not that I mind paying for a such deserving game made by such a deserving creator, but I'm neither on the good side of the recesion and neither do people in my country often buy stuff online.

Who knows, maybe one day.
    Sheesh, yeah! I don't even have an online pay account. And since all those frauds never want to create one. How does someone here in Ukraine get it, I don't know...
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    Don't worry, there will be many payment options available - there might be might be one that suits you as well.
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    I've been playing quite some Gothic 3 lately (german action-RPG, just in case someone doesn't know).

There's this interesting mechanic to reward exploration. Well, it's probably not highly innovative, but whatever.
    Anyways. There are these chests (dubbed "Quest Chests" by the community). Say, there are 40 of these quest chests in the game.
    Instead of the loot being tied to the location of the chest (for example, the super deadly sword of doom in a chest in the super deadly caverns of doom) [or just being random altogether], it is tied to the amount of quest chests opened previously. So, the first one you open always contains a "shiny dagger", the second one a "kinda nice bow", the 30th one always the "super deadly sword of doom".
    So, anyways, these chests are somewhat scattered over all the world, and the items from the "higher" quest chests (for example 35th and higher) is exclusive, and kinda powerful.

(Actually, in Gothic there are two sets of these quest chests, one for weapons, one for magic stuff, like staffs, amulets, scrolls...)
    (Also, it is mixed with standard random and fixed chests)
    (Also, in Gothic, no one tells you these chests exist. The community found out on it's own :3)

So, just telling you, ville, you might consider it (or a derivate of it), if there'll be exploration in Driftmoon :3
    #
    Crazy 14 years ago
    "ville" said:
    I guess it's a limitation in my head.
    Actually the attack animations have been redone for Driftmoon. When you see the new ones, I'm eager to hear how they could be improved.
    Sweet!
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    That's a great idea Narvius! I'll have to think about that in addition to the feathers we already have. I did play Gothic 3 myself, but I never go very far into it, so it's nice to know of this feature.
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    "ville" said:
    Don't worry, there will be many payment options available - there might be might be one that suits you as well.
    I would be quite happy if this game was supported by Steam. *wink*
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    That would surely multiply ville's knownity :3.
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    If somebody from Valve is reading this, I'm open for offers.
    Seriously, it's really tough getting a game on Steam. I'd love a change for Driftmoon to be there, but it remains to be seen.
    #
    wolf359 14 years ago
    Too bad game is shareware so I probably won't be able to play it. Ville this is going to be an awesome game. And is the editor in tech demo limited or powerful as it will be in the done product?
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    The editor will be even more powerful! Well, not much, but it wil be easier to use I hope. And I am planning on including the editor with the demo version when it's finished, so you'll get to use it even if you don't buy the whole version.
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    I have a few questions about the preview version.

1. How many silver feathers are there?

2. Will we be able to drag things without the player having to touch them in the full version?

3. And what the heck is with this fly...
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    Mmm. This. It's very important I think. Doesn't need to be Steam, but getting it on some digital distribution platform will help you get the word out a billion times easier.

About Valve specifically, you might want to take a look at Steamworks: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/">http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/</a><!-- m -->

Mind you, I'm not saying it'll increase your profits a lot. The competition is very hard and prices are low. You might want to see Spiderweb's Jeff Vogel's take on indie software pricing these days. Plus I bet you'll have to give a share of the profits to whatever platform you're using.

Important decision I guess. I would aggressively try to get on at least one of those platforms to increase the number of people that hear from your game, especially because this is your first shareware game. Your opinion might differ, but don't go over this lightly.
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    1. There are something like 7 or 8 feathers in the current version I think. I don't really know, Anne placed them.
    2. If you mean that is the current dragging a test feature, my plan is to include it in future versions. I kind of like it, though it may feel like you have a disembodied hand going over stuff.
    3. I must have just forgotten the name for that wolfie.

And Amarth, I will most likely be looking to get into some of the digital marketplaces. Steam is the biggest, so that's my first choise. But we'll have to see about it, the portals won't usually make decisions on these until most of the game exists, or there is a huge fanbase already.
    #
    FinDragon 14 years ago
    That prewiev is awesome ^.=.^
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    I'm glad you think so. I was very reluctant to release it, as I know it's still far from having all the features and polish I want it to have.
    #
    FinDragon 14 years ago
    One thing also(well i dunno is this already done) But does the allies flee when their health is low? If they don't that should be added to them, since they shouldn't be too stubborn, it's hard to keep them alive if they want to fight with 1hp ^^
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    I do believe you can make smarter AIs with Driftmoon, so implementing that shouldn't be an issue anyway.

So, how many feathers did you guys find?
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    My current plan is for the allies to retreat when they are in low health, and I will likely make them just pass out instead of dying. This should help you keep them alive, and it seems to be a common practice in modern RPG's for important characters to pass out and not die.
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    A step aside... I'm testing the game. Is the save feature incomplete yet? I saved several times but all I got when loaded was empty inventory nameless ("player") hero. All what was saved is location, maybe also quests, don't know, I was too frustrated to check.

Also the game crashed once in the cellar.
    #
    Anne 14 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    So, how many feathers did you guys find?

I'm a bit curious about this one as well. (I just hope you didn't keep the "cheat button" on all through the demo...)
    #
    Forum » Driftmoon subforum
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: