Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Driftmoon subforum
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Driftmoon subforum

Vacuus 14 years ago
    Keep in mind it's fantasy E_net4, I think I remember magic being mentioned around the whole wishing-well thing.

TBH, I don't mind the loosing of points that much. To some people it's an obvious choice, but perhaps if the player returned later once the spirit had regained some of its power, there could be a sidequest to regain these and an additional award. Maybe a unique artifact?

Attacking velved didn't bother me in the slightest, it seemed fairly reasonable since she, you know, wants to kill your dad and all.

Apart from that I enjoyed it, having more content/larger areas is always nice but for a demo it seems to be going pretty well.
    #
    Crazy 14 years ago
    "Anne" said:
    It would be slightly better, if you would at least acquire something from the choise (gain +1 in another skill at the very least).
    I'd still have to disagree with you there. I'd be against any permanent negative effects, even if there were a gain in another skill - what if i wanted to make a largely constitution-based character?

"Anne" said:
    But then, I also have a few IMPORTANT QUESTIONS to all the forumers about the overall contents at the moments: There is already fun things to do in the preview, but I think the game would benefit from a bit more things to do/find and/or quests to finish.
    More? No, thank you, sorry. I've seen large parts of the preview that were apparently rather rushed (as Ville seems to point) and i would much rather have these things polished, rather than just put in things on the basis of "more".
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    "Anne" said:

1) What are your views on how much more content the demo should have?
    2) What kind of content would you like more of (things to find /quests / characters / enemies)?
    3) Which parts of the demo (or things in the demo) were your favourites, and which need something extra?
    1) The demo has enough of it, I agree. However, in the full version, some more should be added in that period (Earth -> Driftmoon, island -> Driftmoon, tunnels).
    2) There is what I saw, but I haven't seen everything in the preview, right? So I don't know what to add if the preview is full, see p.1)
    3)
    a) Dunno
    b) Dunno
    Sorry.

A few minor things. Someone noticed that wolf named "Flies"
    Walking. It is designed for mouse control but I use WASD like in Notrium (got used to that :/), and... The PC moves his/her legs just back and forth, even when strafing! Oops.
    The switched door opens/shuts with such a force that none can stop it. I specially dragged large rocks to block it - they flew away like birds!
    I think swirling attack looks faster.
    Someone already said, there are so many daggers in the game... With swirling attack...
    Are you going to bring in merchants? I think so, or these coins and auxiliary stuff are useless.
    The PC approaches enemy when clicked even if he/she already can lend a blow. This makes it look like, I don't know, a pushing attack
    The F1-F2-F3-... buttons are pretty far away to be easily used for combat settings (and combat settings should be quick and comfortable!). Think about options with keyboard remapping.
    Oh, yes, a minimap (map, journal, etc.). I miss them so much.
    Still doesn't load correctly for me. Please post a link to newer build.
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    Just chiming in to say I don't mind the stats loss. Why does it have to be offset by gaining something else? You're roleplaying, playing the "good" (non-violent) side will cause you loss this time, playing the bad side might cause you loss on another occasion. It's just the way things work. If every choice has to be balanced, you're not making choices.

I happily accept the stats loss to make up for what my father has done wrong in my eyes. Stats are just a means to an end (finishing the game), not a goal in themselves.
    #
    dukeaccent 14 years ago
    I just voted and tried the preview demo. This will definately be a great game.

I currently have but one gripe: the panther's (Velvet or whatever her name was) constant meowing gets really annoying.

Is it possible to throw things (or will it be)? Before getting the bow I found myself wanting to throw rocks or something at the wolves.
    #
    Endymion 14 years ago
    One little thing i just noticed is that burning enemies don't emit light.
    #
    Crazy 14 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    Just chiming in to say I don't mind the stats loss. Why does it have to be offset by gaining something else? You're roleplaying, playing the "good" (non-violent) side will cause you loss this time, playing the bad side might cause you loss on another occasion. It's just the way things work. If every choice has to be balanced, you're not making choices.

I happily accept the stats loss to make up for what my father has done wrong in my eyes. Stats are just a means to an end (finishing the game), not a goal in themselves.
    I see your point on the balanced thing, though i'd disagree - this choice was quite balanced because i disliked both choices quite equally. Spectacularly so, now that i think about it.

However, i might want to play a "good" characted, but i might decide that i am not willing to part with those 2 Con. This means that i'm going to have to attack him, which rather jarringly breaks my immersion, particularly because i'm being an a-hole about it. I guess i'd find it more reasonable if i could talk to him for a bit and make sure there really was no other way and eventually go "i'm really sory, but you leave me no other choice," i would feel more like my character needs to make a difficult choice, rather than the game offering me up some crappy situation i would think was badly designed.

There are places and games where making the player think of their own situation instead of their character's could work, but that's more of any artsy, experimental game thing. Driftmoon certainly doesn't strike me as that.

Also, no less improtant is staying true to internal rules. If you are hurn and can heal yourself after battle, there is no reasonable explanation as to why you would permanently lose 2 con just for giving some drops of blood. Breaking internal rules is another important thing that could ruin the experience.
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    I've uploaded a new version here: http://www.monkkonen.net/temp/DriftmoonPreview-201109.exe

If you happen to play it, please tell me if you can hear any sound.
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    Whoa, whoa! Crashed while loading!
    Does it work for you? I may just have some system problems if such bugs persist for me while never encountered by others...
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    Hmm... It could be a crash in the sound engine init. Can you try updating your DirectX to the newest version available?

In case you need the link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/resultsForProduct.aspx?displaylang=en&productID=9C954C37-1ED1-4846-8A7D-85FC422D1388
    #
    Anne 14 years ago
    "Venom31" said:
    Whoa, whoa! Crashed while loading!
    Does it work for you? I may just have some system problems if such bugs persist for me while never encountered by others...
    I haven't had any problems loading, nor Ville (but it's just the two of us, with our two computers...). Anybody else with such crashes?
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    Bad news are that I also have that problem. The game shows "Loading..." and crashes after a few seconds.
    #
    Anne 14 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    Bad news are that I also have that problem. The game shows "Loading..." and crashes after a few seconds.
    Thanks for the info, it is very much needed, since we have not seen this on our computers. I sure hope the two of you are the exception... When have you installed Direct-X, asked Ville, when I quoted your message to him?

Ville just finished coding for today (it's past 11pm in Finland), so he can't do anything about it tonight. If this turns out to be a problem he can attend to, he'll probably try to get to it some time tomorrow (although tomorrow is a tad full, being our daughter's first birthday).
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    Great, the DX solved it. Now it starts, sounds, and plays.
    Er-r... All the minor naughty things are in place . The fly wolf . And my saving craps
    What's the "tempsave" folder for? Is it for quick saves? If so, how to quick-save and quick-load? BTW, does anyone else experience the loading bug?
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    I updated DirectX and the problem is fixed as well. Apparently the new sound library demands a later version of it.

"Venom31" said:
    The F1-F2-F3-... buttons are pretty far away to be easily used for combat settings (and combat settings should be quick and comfortable!). Think about options with keyboard remapping.
    I agree with you on that, but that could be fixed with 2 keys or the mouse wheel for scrolling through the attacks.
    #
    Anonymous1157 14 years ago
    I confirm the problem, but I'm too lazy to apply the workaround right now. IMO, you ought to see if the game will compile with a slightly older version of this new sound library. I have a version of DX9 that has always worked fine for everything else, and Driftmoon is the only game to have an error for me (Actually, for lots of people) that has been confirmed to be DX-based.

Edit: I stand corrected. I just found another.
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    Bundle the correct Direct X version with the game. It's the only way to be sure. Everyone does it. Yep, it bloats your installer, but I don't think that's too big a problem these days were about everyone has broadband.
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    Thanks for the testing!
    I'll have to see about supporting an older DirectX, since the game doesn't actually use any features from the new version. I could still probably bundle the whole library though.
    #
    Vacuus 14 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    Bundle the correct Direct X version with the game. It's the only way to be sure. Everyone does it. Yep, it bloats your installer, but I don't think that's too big a problem these days were about everyone has broadband.

Except in Australia and similar, where even broadband is woefully inadequete and downloading directX could take an hour Why not just mention and link to it on the download page?

Oh, and a happy first birthday!

I did eventually manage to get it working in Wine, by the way. It was late and I don't remember the exact process, I think it involved screwing with OSS/PulseAudio drivers and an experimental version of Wine. If anyone has any questions send me a PM or something.
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    Ooh! Was that the newest version or the older one?

Saara says tatataa, I think she's very pleased to hear from you.
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    Happy first-of-many birthday!
    #
    Crazy 14 years ago
    Yes! I want to wish the little thingy with the eating and the crying and the pooping a happy birthday, too!

Can't believe you're continuing to make progress by such leaps and bounds even after the first novelty wears off, while keeping a job and taking care of Saara. I tip my hat to you, good sir, i tip my hat.
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    Yep! Birthdays should always be happy

Getting down to routine, will there be a "delete saved game" button somewhere?
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    Thanks everyone!

You need to delete your saves for some reason? I know the new version is not compatible with old saves very well, since the previously played maps don't contain the new changes such as AI navigation graph.
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    Well, let's start with that I'm not in need of any saves management right now , because the ones I make don't seem to be loaded correctly . I wonder howdy me is the only one with this bug
    #
    Anonymous1157 14 years ago
    I got a crash just after Velvet joined my party. A fly was attacking me.

"The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000005) occurred in the application at location 0x004dbff4."

It gave me no other info.
    #
    Vacuus 14 years ago
    It was with the old version

The new version crashes as soon as I click "next" after creating a character. I did have to install DirectX via wine which might not have completed properly. I'll keep playing with it anyway...

Oh, and is there anyway to switch Irrlicht to OpenGL mode? It'd make things easier if I can rule out directx as a possible cause (The backtrace isn't saying much).
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    There is a way to set it to OpenGL in code since we're using Irrlicht. It looks a bit different at the moment, but I could maybe add the setting to the options file.

Thanks for noticing that Anonymous, it's a last minute bug I put in hastily.
    Apparently the followers crashed if they attacked anything. I made a new version that fixes it. My next step is to fix the sound support for older DirectX versions, but only after the celebrations here cool down. The birthday girl is still giddy with all her new toys.
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    "ville" said:
    it's a last minute bug I put in hastily.
    Am I the only one at least slightly perplexed at the idea of a coder purposefully (if hastily) putting bugs in his code?

Also congrats to the token tiny human of the household.
    #
    Venom31 14 years ago
    "ville" said:
    Apparently the followers crashed if they attacked anything.
    Whoa, that was my first and only walkthrough killing everything, incl. Velvet. Funny I missed this bug, fool's luck, LOL.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 14 years ago
    To those directx-ly challenged, could someone please post a link to the latest version?
    #
    Vacuus 14 years ago
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en">http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en</a><!-- m -->

That should do it.
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    I'm switching to good old DirectSound. Microsoft says it's deprecated, but it seems to be the most reliable way of playing sound. Let's see what happens...
    #
    ville 14 years ago
    I whipped up a new version using DirectSound. Can anybody test to see if it starts up and plays sounds?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.monkkonen.net/temp/DriftmoonPreview-231109.exe">http://www.monkkonen.net/temp/Driftmoon ... 231109.exe</a><!-- m -->
    #
    Pete 14 years ago
    Seems to work fine, except it does that nasty looping thing when I alt-tab.
    #
    Forum » Driftmoon subforum
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: