Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Amateur Game Making Comp.
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Amateur Game Making Comp.

Crazy 19 years ago
    um, yea, got screwed on that deal. so i don't have flash. i have motivation but no flash. the exact opposite of the situation in britain in WWII, where they had thousands of planes but only a handful of pilots. i have the pilots but i got no planes!!!
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    What dont you download the trial version? You may be able to finish the game before the trial runs out.
    #
    HarmlessHermit 19 years ago
    Are there any good. free C++ compilers out there that don't have trial periods and aren't too complicated? I'm learning the language but I still haven't found a compiler that I can use.
    #
    Crazy 19 years ago
    i have no flash experience, i doubt i can do anything in 29 days.
    #
    Grim Reaper 19 years ago
    What do you mean 29 days? There are more days than that left 'till the competition ends. I can give you Flash MX professional 2004. Just pm me. I'll send it via messenger. I'll propably be at my comp all day 'till 21:00.
    #
    void 19 years ago
    "HarmlessHermit" said:

Are there any good. free C++ compilers out there that don't have trial periods and aren't too complicated? I'm learning the language but I still haven't found a compiler that I can use

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html">http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html</a><!-- m -->
    I use to use this until I got Visual C++, dev doesn't work well with dirextx.
    #
    Okay I got that, now any quirks or settings about this compiler that I should know about to make compiling easier?

I can't even do a hello world program with this so is it missing a library or something?
    #
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    for all of you who didn't see my post in the "Learnin c++" thread
    if you want to make games you can use librarys like allegro or Clanlib so you can start making the game and don't need to learn how to draw a bitmap on the screen you just do it
    Allegro:
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://alleg.sourceforge.net/index.html">http://alleg.sourceforge.net/index.html</a><!-- m -->
    Clanlib:
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.clanlib.org/">http://www.clanlib.org/</a><!-- m -->
    #
    Neoecs 19 years ago
    :Arrow: Name: Neoecs

:Arrow: Programming language: C++

:Arrow: Game making software: Dev-cpp, Allegro

:Arrow: Name of game: Dont know yet

:Arrow: Other: It will beĀ“some sort of 2D game...
    #
    void 19 years ago
    Okay I got that, now any quirks or settings about this compiler that I should know about to make compiling easier?

I can't even do a hello world program with this so is it missing a library or something?

Go to the C++ thread and give us the code you wrote to get your hello world program to work.
    #
    Nvm about my message. I found out my compiler was buggy so I reinstalled it. I've already learned about booleans, variables, casting, loops, functions, etc. Having a working compiler really helps
    #
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    hmm...i could release a beta without obstacles, without network support , with just 2 players, without an option menu and in german maybe I make an english version in the next days(I really haven't much to translate)
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    Just wanted to let you know that I started coding . I have a framework running (set up a window, some input handling, standard output), so I can start coding the game now. Hurray!
    For those interested:
    It's C++, heavily object oriented, uses SDL and OpenGL. I'll keep you updated .

If anyone, by chance, has played Armor Alley or Cobra Gunship (both on HOTU), please tell me what you think is cool and what should be improved etc. My game is based on those .

-Amarth
    #
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    did someone else start coding his game except Amarth and me?
    #
    Nope, not yet. I just barely got back from Christmas vacation to Florida so nothing has been done the past 2 weeks. I don't expect I'll get started on the game til at least a couple more weeks. Better to know where I'm going before stumbling onto an actual project.
    #
    Grim Reaper 19 years ago
    I have.
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    Before I dive in headfirst, I want to know one thing:

Can I use TI-BASIC for my calculator to make the game? Because I happen to be a pretty slick TI-BASIC programmer...

Also, if the answer is no, then it might take a bit for me to come up with a realistic idea to be completed on time. I have to take into account the fact that graphics will slow me down a bit, and the fact that I'd need to re-read C++ so I remember how it works. But after that, I would be willing to pitch my pathetic contribution to this competition.
    #
    Zombie 19 years ago
    Hopefully I can get me some hosting VERY soon...

When I get some hosting, I'll try to get a forum up and see about hosting this as an annual sort of thing... Or maybe a bi-annual thing... Once every 6 months...?

Well, anyways...

Maybe... MAYBE... I might be thinking prizes here... I mean, to the victor go the spoils, right? But I have no idea what I'd give as a prize... I mean, if you all were interested we could have something like a $5 or $10 entry fee (if you wanted to have the chance to win a prize, that is...) to get into the prize contest... There would be a free contest for those who don't mind... And if at least 5 people don't join the prize or free contests (5 in each) then the contest with insufficient people would be cancelled... If the prize contest just got cancelled, though, then I'd move the people for the prize contest into the free one... or something...

But that's really something to think about more once I get my damned site up and running...

But what do you all think about it? You think it's a good idea? Would you like me to host an annual or semi-annual programming contest?
    Want prizes? What kind?

Send me e-mails if you like, or respond here...

If people will participate, then I'll do it!
    #
    *sniff* I smells a swindler... nah, j/k but I don't think a entry fee contest would be popular among us amateur game makers. Some great contests have good prizes while still being free. I mean, if there was a prize, I'd have to take this really seriously. I don't like taking things serioiusly. Who'd want to lose 5 bucks?
    #
    Marevix 19 years ago
    1. The reason why we can't have prizes without an entry fee is because there's no disclaimer giving a game publishing company the right to market the game.

2. Zombie, I reccomend <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hostultra.com">http://www.hostultra.com</a><!-- w --> for hosting. Their free hosting has no storage or bandwidth limit, and if you can get past the file size limits with file splitting programs and determined users, then it could work just fine for you.
    #
    Zombie 19 years ago
    Hostultra I have tried before... Maybe I'll try it again...

At least until I can pay for my own hosting...

Anyways, if I hosted the contest on my site, which you still havn't answered me on, then there would be a disclaimer... More like a notice, really... I guess...

It would read something like this:

"Undead Force (UDF) and it's staff is not responsible for any damage caused to your computer or hardware by any software created by any contestant, as UDF staff has tested each entry to verify it's safety."

"Upon entering the free contest, the contestant agrees to grant partial production rights to UDF. The contestant will retain the remainder of their rights to their creation, with no exceptions. All entries are the property of their creator, who may withdraw from the contest at any time. Upon withdraw or loss in the contest, the contestant may remove partial production rights from UDF. The winning contestant may choose to remove partial production rights from UDF if they wish, but must allow a copy of the original entry to be posted on the UDF website as a record of past winning contestants."

"Upon entering the paid contest, the contestant agrees to grant partial production rights to the UDF. The contestant will retain the remainder of their rights to their creation, with no exceptions. All entries are the property of their creator, who may withdraw from the contest at any time. Upon withdraw or loss in the contest, there will be no refund of entry fee and the contestant may remove partial production rights from the UDF. The winning contestant may choose to remove partial production rights from UDF if they wish, but must allow a copy of the original entry to be posted on the UDF website as a record of past winning contestants and prize amounts. Entry in the paid contest does not guarantee occurance of paid contest. If the minimum contestant amount is not reached, then the contest will be cancelled. Entry fees that have been sent will be refunded, however all entry fees only should be paid upon contest start."

I was thinking that the paid contest would give people an oppourtunity to win some cash as a prize, and would offer a little more edge to the competition... The entry fee would probably only cause either the most foolhardy, the most sure, or the most experienced to be entering... The paid contest would also be judged in a generally stricter manner than the free contest, and professionalism would be expected in the entries...

In a free contest, people usually overlook small things like menu and graphics and stuff like that... But if it's for a cash prize, only the best of the best would get by...

I was thinking that judging could be in a ladder tournament type setup...

The entries would be split into twos and/or threes, and the ladder would be populated by randomly drawing entry names...

Each entry would be judged on playability, sound, graphics, and relevant features...

People could judge the entries by completing a written form, which would ensure that they had actually played and tested the game before they submitted it... But the main judges (contest heads + me ;P) would have the final say... ;P

Anyways... I wouldn't steal your games, just because you were nice enough to enter my contest! But if you win the free contest then you can win free game publishing from me... That means a page for your game(s), file storage (game, updates, patches, addons, etc.), and you may choose whether you want to make the game freeware or not... If not we'd probably need to do a contract thingie and all of that, though... *shrug* Heck... I may eventually be able to do CDs for ya! Of course... I'd need to learn to stick those damned labels on the CDs without messing them up... Darned crookedness! ;P

But that would be all I could really offer, you know... Not very much, but if you make an exceptionally good game, then you could have quite a goldmine on our hands... What? Publishers need monetary love too!

But to actually make sure that just entering in the contest doesn't ruin the publishability of the game itself, only a small panel of judges (in addition to the main judges) would be chosen and would recieve a copy.

Once the contest is over, the games will be available for download, as long as the contestant allows it, that is...

In the paid contest, you can only win the cash. That's it. No publishing. You wanted money. ;D

Sooo...

What do you think?

I mean... If no one wants me to host a programming contest at some sort of interval, then I won't do it... It would be pointless...

#
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    Hmm... because I like to make screenshots I made one again and here you can see an actual status screenshot

click on the thumbnail to enlarge the screenshot

i think it will be a little strategic because I added "Helpers"(the darker dots,if you can't see one there is one a little bit right from the red player) which you can steer a little bit

Someone else any news O_o
    #
    void 19 years ago
    First you'd have to show us that you had a realiable site like Ville does.

I don't think money prizes are a good idea at all. I'm not going to explain myself but if you can't understand why then you need help.

Looks good NeoGangster. Can you send me a beta, <!-- e --><a href="mailto:p_louws@hotmail.com">p_louws@hotmail.com</a><!-- e -->
    #
    eug1404 19 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    Before I dive in headfirst, I want to know one thing:

Can I use TI-BASIC for my calculator to make the game? Because I happen to be a pretty slick TI-BASIC programmer...

If by TI you mean Texas Instruments then kool,im pretty damn good myself, when i get really borred in Maths class i just programme my calculator.
    Anyway just interested what type of things were you able to get working on your calc?, i was able to get a TextAdventure game, a Random Number guessing game, a paint program, and a cheap pacman clone with no ghosts or walls, and just so i didn't fail the class i also managed to programme it to do all my Trig/Algebra for me .
    #
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    "void" said:

I don't think money prizes are a good idea at all. I'm not going to explain myself but if you can't understand why then you need help.

Looks good NeoGangster. Can you send me a beta, <!-- e --><a href="mailto:p_louws@hotmail.com">p_louws@hotmail.com</a><!-- e -->
    i could send you a beta but it would be in german
    at this point you need a joystick/gamepad to play it
    and you still can just play it at one pc
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "eug1404" said:
    If by TI you mean Texas Instruments then kool,im pretty damn good myself, when i get really borred in Maths class i just programme my calculator.
    Anyway just interested what type of things were you able to get working on your calc?, i was able to get a TextAdventure game, a Random Number guessing game, a paint program, and a cheap pacman clone with no ghosts or walls, and just so i didn't fail the class i also managed to programme it to do all my Trig/Algebra for me .
    Yes, I meant Texas Instruments.

Here is a shortened list of the stuff I've made:

A cool space-rpg where you can completely customize your ship with different weapons, shields, etc. and mine asteroids for minerals (which you can sell for cash) and trade minerals between stations.

An rpg where you create warriors using money and can have them fight in an arena. You can also trade your warriors to another calculator.

An rpg where you have seven party members and a dynamic combat system. It determines what happens in the battle on-the-spot and with animated graphics (e.g. if you attack and the enemy attacks then they get caught in a duel (if both have close-range weapons) or one stops the other in their tracks (if one has close-range and one has long-range)).

An action game where you fight enemy mechs in mechfights, getting cash to upgrade your mech.

The game I was thinking I could make for the contest is:

A space-rpg where you and your crew steal a top-secret ship and become pirates in a randomly-generated galaxy, with over 50 star systems and at least 20 weapons.
    #
    Grim Reaper 19 years ago
    HOLE-E-COW!!!

I didn't even know stuff like that was possible...

I mean, the stuff eug1404 said sounded completely possiple, because of the simplicity of the games he had programmed. But man, the stuff you're able to do, THAT*S FRIGGIN AWWSOME!!!!!

#
    Idiota 19 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    An rpg where you create warriors using money and can have them fight in an arena. You can also trade your warriors to another calculator.
    There is a game like that. It's called starscape and kicks ass. I would completeley support this game if you were to make it. You can look for starscape (google) to see how they did certain things, might be helpfull.
    #
    Zombie 19 years ago
    "void" said:

I'm fine with that, void...

You can see a sort of 'demo' site at zombie.vzz.net

I've only been working on it in class, so far, and a forum and the contest would have to wait for illusionfxnet.com hosting...

Not much, but that should change after a bit...

I don't care if there are money prizes, but it really was just the first thing that came to mind... I have been getting pretty creative lately, so I might actually start doing t-shirts or whatever... Yeah, sounds silly, but I can think up tons of funny stuff for t-shirts... ;P

I could go into music too...

Ahh, when creativity is out to kill, I always seem to be her victim...

Tell me what you think, as usual....
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    "MageKing17" said:
    There is a game like that. It's called starscape and kicks ass. I would completeley support this game if you were to make it. You can look for starscape (google) to see how they did certain things, might be helpfull.
    Perhaps you are thinking of something else. I have starscape, and that's a space shoot-em-up.

"Grim Reaper" said:
    HOLE-E-COW!!!

I didn't even know stuff like that was possible...

I mean, the stuff eug1404 said sounded completely possiple, because of the simplicity of the games he had programmed. But man, the stuff you're able to do, THAT*S FRIGGIN AWWSOME!!!!!
    1) Thank you.

2) It's not actually that hard. There is one game waaaaay beyond anything I've made called Final Fantasy: Tales of Magic 2 that completely surpasses anything I've done. It has four chapters, animated cutscenes, and an awesome final fantasy battle system (fully animated). I have yet to do something that incredible, but I have yet to set my sights that high.
    #
    void 19 years ago
    Well I've finally started doing a bit of coding. I'm thinking the game will now consist of a tiger running around eating people. Should be simple but enjoyable.
    #
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    "void" said:
    Well I've finally started doing a bit of coding. I'm thinking the game will now consist of a tiger running around eating people. Should be simple but enjoyable.
    if it's not to simple and very violent it will be playable
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    Okay, I have now officially begun work on my game.

Details (minor ones) will be released "whenever."
    #
    eug1404 19 years ago
    I've finished the basic framework for a tile based RPG engine using C++ and Alegro, and just as soon as i finish the level editor i might consider entering the competition.
    But either way this thread propelled me to actually get together the motivation to start doing something with the C++ knowledge i've acquired over the past year or two, so thanks to Void .

*EDIT* Also might i add the main reason i never really did anything that great on TI-Basic was because i only have a TI-83(non-plus) which is, to put it bluntly, a piece of crap which little or no graphics capabilities and faulty variables.
    #
    void 19 years ago
    "eug1404" said:

I've finished the basic framework for a tile based RPG engine using C++ and Alegro, and just as soon as i finish the level editor i might consider entering the competition.
    But either way this thread propelled me to actually get together the motivation to start doing something with the C++ knowledge i've acquired over the past year or two, so thanks to Void .

That's good to hear, and I look forward to playing your game. I hope that everyone who attempts to take part in the comp can be more motivated becuase of it, I know I have been.
    #
    Forum » Amateur Game Making Comp.
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: