Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Notrium Version 1.3 Progress
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Notrium Version 1.3 Progress

ville 19 years ago
    A clarifying note: The player cannot choose the AIs, the modder can.

EDIT: Do you think a control to change the speed of the leg animation would be useful? The leg animation controls the space between the footsteps.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Yes I think it is worth it. The first thing I thought of is if vehicles get added, you'd be able to set the speed super fast and make it look like it's leaving tread marks.
    #
    Bleach 19 years ago
    Can't wait for 1.3 to come out. You guys are doing a great job!
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    Just going to reiterate on the AI. It will now shoot the full range of its weapon. Which means if it has a weapon with the range of a sniper rifle, chances are it will shoot you from that far away. So expect being shot at from off screen to be a common occurance.

Expect to be swarmed. The AI was somewhat nice about not stacking too heavily onto you if you were already being stalked, well it isn't anymore, they will just keep coming until you're dead, so you do have to be careful how quickly you roam about. It will get you killed.

Enemies seemed to flat out give up on you after chasing you for so long. Don't expect that in 1.3 they just kept after me until I was very far away.

Enemy creatures as well as yourself can have resistances to weapon classes and yes I do plan to make each race have unique resistances/weakness, though its not set it stone how.

There is something for you guys to chew on, keep your eye on this thread for further updates
    #
    roburky 19 years ago
    This is all very good news. The combat was the real low-point of v1.2 Notrium, and it sounds like v1.3 will be a much more rounded game.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    I know its not added yet to stop the breaking down of an item, but I believe it should be on his list additions to 1.3. Not many items will use it though.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    Major breakthroughs have been made on the coding side. There is now an ability to mod the particles and lights. Just wait till you see the new flamethrower!
    #
    Eternal 19 years ago
    Oh God! I can't Wait! Hurry Villé Hurry!
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    There are no heavy improvements anymore, but unfortunately I cannot code before the 25th day of this month. There are still some very important minor details to take care of, so I'm not sure how much content Quanrian will be able to put in during my coding break. Keep your thumbs up, he's got a long list!
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    So, what, can we mod the lighting effects for certain areas now?
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    I'm not going to get into too much. Basically the particle system is leagues beyond what Notrium was putting out graphically before.

I've only thus far worked on one thing seriously and that was tweaking the flame thrower. Wasn't quite how I wanted it, and still had some dust on it from the previous version I did of it. Now when you hit a creature with the flame thrower not only do they catch on fire and actually appear to be burning with flames while they burn, but.. they also leave a trail of fire behind them which is pretty damn kewl to watch. Its actually quite realistic now in how the flamethrower works and most should be very happy with it.

One of the nicest things about particles is they naturally follow the flow of the bullets. There are other uses as well. Blood particles can be defined, foot prints as well.

Oh yes and I'd hate to forget this. Fires can now burn out. In fact they do.

I'll do my best to exploit things as best I can. One small warning though, if your comp isn't up to spec you may have trouble running 1.3 as all the particles and lighting effects can potentially slow things to a haul. On my system which is somewhat dated I've seen no slow down though, so don't worry too much about. It is something to consider when making a mod though. If you go too nuts with effects people will notice as the game slows to a crawl.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    That's great.
    Would it be possible to make a fire spawn another fire after it burns out?
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    You'd simply set the amount of time the light goes out in to -1, which makes it last forever. That way you wouldn't need it to spawn another fire. The way the particles and lights work are a bit tricky, so I can't guarantee you'll get the exact result you want without toying with it for a while.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Will the limit for the number of fires in one map be removed in v1.3?
    #
    Eternal 19 years ago
    Still planning a lava fire area - hell? (was that you?) I thought the limit was removed on 1.2 because when i played lochens crazy mod (with the endless bundle of wood) i put down sooooooooooo many fires, i had to turn my sound off cause it sounded like it was just static.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    This last few posts were borderline offtopic, or at least are heading that way, but I'll answer it here. Just try and not veer off topic please, I do delete posts religiously in this thread and you will not be warned.

There is no noticable limit that I can discern in 1.3. In a test I had my whole screen filled with fires, and that is way more than anyone should ever need for practical purposes. Particle effects are a different animal though. The particles are no longer hardcoded, therefor the game is doing a bit more reading and loading than before, so I imagine that there will be slowdown when too many particles are going on at the same time.

Currently the only known slowdown that is serious is when you have too many creatures on the same screen at once which is around 40+, that probably wont change because the game is reading alot from each creature due to their AI.

The way the game as far as I know handles things when too much is shown is quite simple. It doesn't show what is over the limit. If you go over the creatures on screen limit it will not show what is over it and it will gradually slow things down in the process. So there is a good chance so long as many fires are not shown on the same screen they can exist, but not ALL of them may show to remain under the limit.

I'll leave the more technical aspects to be explained by Ville in the Questions thread as that is a bit off topic for here. This is purely progress reports on the 1.3, along with the forum's comments on them.

Basically, you'd have to actually remember exactly how many fires you want to show and then go around counting every single one of them to make sure they're there lol. Not something I've got time or willingness to do. So if you want 1000 fires, that's fine, but you've got to count your 1000 fires to see if they work
    #
    roburky 19 years ago
    Ahh, so is that limit on fires based on the number of fires on the screen at any one time? I had assumed it meant the number of fires in an area at any one time.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    I will of course add the changeable area lighting at some point. The particle effects don't yet allow for everything. But the lights like the fires and the gun flashing lights can now be modded to some extent. You can even have any effect create a light. Thus you could have an item that would flash a bright light when you used it.

To the limits, there was originally a limit for how many can be on one map at the time. I cannot recall if I've already removed the limit, but rest assured it will be if it hasn't been removed yet.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    In a few other threads I've heard both you Ville and Quanrian talking about all the things that could be possible if pathfinding is added. Do you think that eventually you'll get to add it?
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    I wouldn't say that for certain as that is a pretty big thing. I could do it if I dished some other ideas, but I would hate to make choises at this point. For example I might be forced to leave out flying things because that would complicate the pathfinding.

But pathfinding is definitely high on my list.
    #
    DarkChyld 19 years ago
    Honestly Ville I would make pathfinding your -top- priority... the new snazzy graphics and new race will be sweet, but pathfinding will allow for things that will give the game that much more depth and customizeability, buildings, ruins, caves, trees you can actualy walk into LoL.
    #
    Eternal 19 years ago
    I think pathfinding would be better for giving npc's waypoints (eg. order your pet alien to x,y) and also for enemies with scripting. But the thing that it need most (i reckon) is proper coords or a map editor. for example a 20x20 map will have 400 indivudual coords it can goto.
    e.g. 20, 0 or 17, 16 or 3, 19. instead of 0 - 1.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    Let's hope that both make it in the game. I'd definitely find it very difficult to build any sort of buildings without a map editor. It won't be easy to use mind you. I haven't yet figured out exactly how it will be done.

Maybe the plot_objects would no longer be used to place the items on the maps, rather it would be defined in a separate file that would be used by the editor. The editor would only be an interface to place the predefined plot_objects on the predefined maps.

But I'm not sure I can make an interface to place the random things, those would still have to be defined manually in a yet separate file. Better ideas?
    #
    Eternal 19 years ago
    maybe add more to the plot_objects e.g;

Shipwreck;//name-------------------------------
    0;//identifier
    0;//map type to place to -1=any map 0=> type from areas.dat
    71;//object definition number, -1=none
    1;//number of objects to be placed

1;//location type, 0=random, 1=Map Editor
    Map editor would insert its own values here, which the game would ignore if they are 0 or -1 or whatever the default is

0;//location parameter0, which object type
    100;//location parameter1, eg. distance in pixels
    0;//vary location parameter1
    0;//trigger event by 0=player click, 1=player near, 2=near or click
    1;//vanishes after event, 0=no, but cannot be reused, 1=vanishes, 2=no, and can be reused -1;//event triggered when player uses, -1=nothing, 0=place item on map (parameter0=which item, parameter1=how many), 1=give health by parameter0, 2=give item to player (parameter0=which item, parameter1=how many), 3=feed player if he's hungry, 4=dispense item parameter0 in time parameter1 in area parameter2 with max amount of parameter3, 5=dispense plot_object parameter0 in time parameter1 in area parameter2 with max amount of parameter3, 6=give energy by parameter0, 7=teleport to area parameter0 plot_object parameter1, 8=rest and heal with parameter0 with base temperature parameter1
    0;//event parameter0
    0;//event parameter1
    0;//event parameter2
    0;//event parameter3
    none;//event text
    1;//number of fires around it
    2;//show on radar 0=does not show, 1=show on scanner, 2=show even without scanner
    4;//clear area

The map editors values would be where is placed on the map, coords or something.

And when the map editor edits the object, (assuming you can edit it's functions & effects) it would have the values it makes, greyed out, or just not shown.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Will we be able to change the stardate thingy in the journal in v1.3?
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    Definitely yes. You'll be able to select the date, and you'll be able to select whether it's displayed in the stardate system or in the DD/MM/YYYY system.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    That's geat; it'd really be a bit strange to make a medievil or LOTR mod and have the journal com up telling you that it's 'Stardate 1295756'.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    I'm currently working on redoing the marines, since they were originally mine to begin with They're going to look alot nicer and nothing like the human in the game since I'm making them from scratch, no color/texture edits. I'm going to try, but no promises to make sure the different Marine types have their own unique graphic, so a Marine with a Pistol and one with a Flamethrower will not look the same. I may or may not post a graphic for you guys to see when I'm done. DO NOT ask me to post the graphic in this thread. I will delete your post. In fact don't ask me anywhere, just be happy if I do post it
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    Well here it is. Hopefully you guys approve of the change because I'm pretty set in my ways at this point

If the image doesn't show the url below should work..

http://www.geocities.com/quanrian/marine_pistol.jpg

I give absolutely no one permission to use the image in any way at all. It is being exclusive used for Notrium version 1.3 and the only person with permission to use it or modify it is Ville, but its still copyrighted to me

Feel free to make a comment on the new graphic, it would be considered on topic.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Wow, very good. It's nice to have a change, the old marines looked far to much like the human. Thought about maybe making a backpack for the marines, since they're really miners too?

P.S. What 3d and graphics programs do you use?
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    You hit the nail on the head. The main reason I wanted to change them is because I didn't want them looking like the human and I wanted them to have a bit of a cool factor to them as well. So they are supposed to look like they're wearing a heavy space armor. They wont all look like the above graphic, in fact each type will have a different color scheme on their armor so you can clearly tell which marine they are.

I may post the rest of the marines in a day or so if things seem ok on the forum
    #
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    the marine is looking great.
    Maybe you could make a little ville corp. logo*g*
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    Well here you guys go, I finished up the marines a bit ago, so here they are. You should notice they all stand out visually. You can probably guess which marines are which

Per usual if the images don't work for you, here's a link.

http://www.crimsonfan.altervista.org/images/marines.jpg

You really can't tell, but trust me when I tell you those marines have some pretty decent polygon counts

Keep an eye on this thread for the usual, or even unusual updates we toss your way
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Wow, looks great. But I can't guess!

1) I think that's probably VC pistol marine (Pistol Marine)
    2) (VC Pistol Marine) VC Pistol is gold plated in 1.3
    3) VC stun gun?
    4) (Shotgun Marine) No more leader, but these guys fill the gap.
    5) Flamethrower.

Blanks filled in by Quanrian
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    What you don't see in the above images, since that is just a single cell from each marine type, is that they each have their own unique death animation. The death animations are largely to do with what weapon they're weilding usually. Though asides from the weapon the tougher marines will have a slightly more over the top death to gratify the fact you killed them finally

Now I haven't been sitting on my keister either. I have gotten quite a bit done. One thing I can pretty much guarantee will make it into 1.3 and was highly requested.. (dramatic pause) Well I remembered about the Environment Suit, which by the way definately wouldn't of been possible in 1.2. So you'll be seeing it for sure in 1.3, if I forget perchance, I'm sure Ville will remind me

As Ville stated I am planning to add in mines finally, though how well they will work is yet to be seen since I haven't gotten to that yet. One other thing planned is that I definately like to diversify the different races, hopefully to the point of leveling them out a bit more so it more of a matter of choosing them for a different experience, not because they are flat out better. Though be aware the Psionic is being designed with the veteran player in mind.
    #
    Forum » Notrium Version 1.3 Progress
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: