Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Amateur Game Making Comp.
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Amateur Game Making Comp.

turtlator 19 years ago
    Hehe, my room might as well be an alien planet. It'll be like Notrium after I've built a base, with a fire (my heater), a food generator (my fridge, which I'll probably move), and 20 turrets surrounding it (most likely just a "Do not Disturb" sign). Oh, and my computer monitor and surround sound system so I can play Halo 2 in 1080i hi-res with surround sound... ah, yeah, I love my room/base.
    #
    Zombie 19 years ago
    "void" said:
    "Zombie" said:
    So what do you say Void? Once I get my web site up, I would be more than happy to have an "Indie Game Making Competition" section...

We could hold a competition every year... Eventually it would get bigger and better, etc. etc.

Drop me an e-mail with what ya think Void...

Hey! Could someone tell me where I could find a PDF file series or something that is a free guide on C++? Like, learning stuff?

I'll just respond here......... ........

I think it would be great idea but you'll certainly need a forum first. When do you think you'll get your website online?

Go to the Learning C++ topic and there wil be some links.

I dunno... I'm working on the hosting right now, and I may just get pissed and tell my parents I'm setting up my own server, no matter what they say, and that they only have to pay $8 a year for the domain name...

They might not like that though....

A forum is one of my top priorities though... It'd give a good base, too, if I started it out as a contest forum...

Hmmm...

Talk more in depth about this, we shall!
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    I'm stopping my java-yahtzee game... it's no fun anymore. Perhaps I'll pick it up again later on. I'll, however, try another, a bit more ambitious, project. I'm currently thinking of a remake of Armor Alley, quite close to the original but with a bit more color, internet play, perhaps more options like objectives, random events etc.
    In case you don't know AA, search the web. HOTU has a download link(altough i don't think it will run on windows... or perhaps way too fast... try it out and see )
    Anyways... does someone think this is a good idea? I think it would be cool... and I even think it might be quite succesful, even outside of this forum, if i manage to do it good. We'll see .

-Amarth
    #
    void 19 years ago
    Directx is killing me.........................................

help
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    Well... It isn't simple... i've started on opengl once but i never even got close to doing something with it . I don't know about DirectX, but for OpenGL there are some very good tutorials to be found. But, well, just keep going

I've been thinking... perhaps I can even use Grim 2d when I'm going to make a 2D game. Ville, have you ever felt something was awfully wrong with the grim 2d engine? And is it very helpfull? I've been looking into it and it mostly looks like OpenGL-commands, so if it doesn't have a huge advantage over OpenGL I wont be using it .
    Or does someone else know some better 2d engine?

-Amarth
    #
    LunaticNeko 19 years ago
    I can't pay for engines I'll need my own hands completely. I have no debuggers, only compilers. It'll put in an 'x' when an error is found. The rest are for me to find the error.
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    There are free engines all over the web... most are free when you don't ask money for the game. The Grim 2d engine is such an engine, you can use it as long as you don't make money with it. Also, there are lots of good 3D engines, for example the Quake 2 engine is made available to the public, it's not easy but very powerful...

And there are free compilers, too, i believe. I use MS VS because we can use it from our school, but I think some exists... isn't borland's free? Check out here : http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/cpp.shtml
    learn to use the internet... a LOT of things are available for free even without being illegal

-Amarth
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    Are you coding direct x in vb? I know enough about DX7 to get by.
    Some good sites (for VB) Visual Basic Forum Has some forums on direct x and game programming. Has a huge amount of members.
    DirectX4VB Some great tutorials on direct x. I learnt alot from these
    Lucky's VB tutorials Some more really good tutorials. I also learnt alot from these.
    #
    Zombie 19 years ago
    Void...

C++ is hurting brain...

And I have so many damnedable hobbies to be doing in my free time, I got no free time anymore!

I'll just take a year or two of it... I still got Junior and Senior years...
    #
    void 19 years ago
    What aspect of it is hurting the brain? For me it's directx and win32 (there is too much to know!)

I'm going to cry myself to sleep.........
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    They hurt my brain too until I learned I didn't need to know anything about them. Use a graphics engine. All I need to do is say something like:

start_graphics_engine;
    load_graphic("test.bmp");
    draw_graphic("test.bmp",10,10);

No reason for a game programmer to bother himself with trivialities.
    #
    void 19 years ago
    I'm insane in that way. I have to understand it all. I've always learnt that way and when I can't I normally give up or get very frustated (usally both) for example maths: how can I bother with quadratic equations when I don't even know what a number really is? I was able to do the math but it just seemed pointless because I didn't understand what was really going on. Maybe I need drugs, LSD or something .

Graphics engine you say...? I thought you wrote the engine for wazzal? Which engine should I use for a game like wazzal? I want 3d ships and planets with a 2d background image.

start_graphics_engine;
    load_graphic("test.bmp");
    draw_graphic("test.bmp",10,10);

If I find out it's that easy I going to kick myself. I look into it.
    #
    Doogsy 19 years ago
    lol yes, use an engine, I made a few games without an engine, then experimented with one and almost crapped myself at how much quicker and easier it was. It's not quite as easy as ville said in his three lines, but it isnt far off it.
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    Do you guys think SDL qualifies as a good engine? It *seems* good and offers a lot of things: gpaphics, sound, input, networking, ... Yet when it is about as hard as pure OpenGL+input+WinSocl(or something) i'll leave it... anyone has any experience?
    My order for a new computer is delayed . Come on, faster, faster, i NEED it...

-Amarth
    #
    void 19 years ago
    I should start getting into heavy programming for my game a few weeks after christmas. I've ordered 2 books from amazon : Introduction to game programming with directx 9, and 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development. It was only $100 with shipping (better then paying $180 in Australia, and yes it's $100 AU).

So I'm in for quite a bit of reading but it will be good to finally understand directx on a soulful level. After I understand directx better I'll decide if I'm going to use an engine but I suspect I won't.

I've been thinking about my game design and I've decided I'm going to make time travel possible. I was thinking about how I'd make it work last night and I think it shouldn't be to hard. I'll just have to make sure I have an in game clock so I can record planet creation dates so when the solor system is being loaded after travelling back in time the game clock can check if the planet has been created yet. That will just be the start of course.
    #
    Marevix 19 years ago
    I would try to make a trivial game at least, but I need more experience.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    A very good free environment for programming is Sharpedit. It's a free IDE for the Microsoft's new C# language.
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sharpedit.port5.com/">http://sharpedit.port5.com/</a><!-- m -->
    #
    void 19 years ago
    So to reiterate the people who intend(it's not like this is a contract or anything) to submit a game are:

Amarth
    Doogsy
    void
    NeoGangster
    Casanova

Can the following people tell us their intentions.

Marevix (you should definitly enter from what I've seen)
    Zombie
    HarmlessHermit
    turtlator
    Thaimodz
    alienkiller
    apeisa

and anyone else interesed that I haven'tmentioned.
    #
    Crazy 19 years ago
    i might be entering, i might be getting an edition of Flash MX 2004 Pro. and 3DS MAX (anyone want any graphics for their mod ?)
    #
    Grim Reaper 19 years ago
    I might be entering, I'd just have to learn to program with Flash.
    #
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    Hmm...I just haven't any ideas what sort of game I should make O_o
    What do you would like to see?
    #
    void 19 years ago
    I've just recieved my 2 books on directx and 3d math in the mail (3 days early, YAY!) So even though I'll only get to read them a bit today before my dad takes them till christmas it's very exciting.... in fact I don't even know why I'm writting this..... I should be reading.
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    I got my copy of Visual Studio today from school so i can start, too... Yet I have a lot of things to relearn from C and I have to learn another batch of things from the engine i'm using. Also, I'm starting to have al bit really much work at school... It's all adding up . But I'm trying to start, now, for real.

void: Good luck with 3d maths... I know a bit about it, but it certainly ain't easy. Takes a lot of stupid matrices and trig. I hope most of it is taken out of your hands by DirectX, cause it really is a bit hard otherwise .

Neoganster: Depends what you're up to . What are your skills?

-Amarth
    #
    void 19 years ago
    void: Good luck with 3d maths... I know a bit about it, but it certainly ain't easy. Takes a lot of stupid matrices and trig. I hope most of it is taken out of your hands by DirectX, cause it really is a bit hard otherwise Smile.

thanks.

Directx doesn't do the math for you.... but luckly I already know alot about matrices and trig thanks to school so this will be more of a refresher and learning to apply the math to programming.

Yet I have a lot of things to relearn from C

you should get 'C++ the complete reference' the whole first part of the book is in C (which also works in c++) and then it goes into c++ so you could use it as your C reference and if you ever decide to learn c++ aswell you've got it right there.

Anywho good luck with all the learning.
    #
    Crazy 19 years ago
    id better prepare myself, im getting Flash MX 2004 Pro tomorrow... anyone got a good (2d) idea?
    #
    Grim Reaper 19 years ago
    I have one, but I'm going to use it myself.
    Btw, when's this thing going to start? Just wan't to know how much time I have...
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    It's running already...
    Till 11 April 2005. It's somewhere around page 3 or 4 in this thread . Don't mind if you can't make it anymore, we'll have more of'em .

-Amarth
    #
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    I had a funny idea about a game I should make...you move a Dot/pixel which can shoot against other Players over the Internet/LAN or on a single PC. I even got that thing with the single Pc already done it even got real damn crazy music made by me maybe in the next weeks when I don't get lazy I will upload a beta
    What do you think about it?
    here is a first screenshot:

The graphic is better in real because this is a gif
    i call the game "Dotter - Move the Dot"
    #
    void 19 years ago
    Nice.

I haven't even started coding and you've already made an beta. So you've already made it work over the internet? Impressive, should be fun to play.
    #
    NeoGangster 19 years ago
    "void" said:
    Nice.

I haven't even started coding and you've already made an beta. So you've already made it work over the internet? Impressive, should be fun to play.
    nah it doesn't work over the internet you can just play it on one Pc with a keyboard and a gamepad/joystick
    there will be obstacales and Power-Ups and health packs in the game too
    #
    LunaticNeko 19 years ago
    Is webbased game eligible?
    #
    void 19 years ago
    yep
    #
    Amarth 19 years ago
    Once again the aim of this competition:
    Everything goes, as long as you made it yourself. The real aim is to get you started in programming and game design. For most of us this will be the very first game, and that's why we made this competition. The question 'what is a game and what not' is not easy answerable, but for me let me say that it should be interactive and, well, not a business application :p. Thus, anything from webgames over textadventures to 3D space shooters can join.

My status:
    Finally started . I'm learning SDL now and I'm trying to polish up my C++ skills... classes etc . I'll be trying to tackle it object-oriented, I like it when that works .
    Also, I've been thinking about making other games and i got some plans ready. My 'suberb game that will blow everyone off his socks and keep the world in awe'-game is currently some mix between Notrium, NetHack and Alpha Centauri. Think 'Survive on a random, deep, realistic enourmous planet, with lots of freedom and options ' But that's just in planning phase

-Amarth
    #
    Grim Reaper 19 years ago
    I have decided that I shall enter thy competition, Void.

Name: Jani Nurmiainen, aka Grim Reaper
    Programming language: Flash
    Game making software: N/A, if you don't count Flash MX Professional 2004 as one
    Other: It'll be an RPGish action adventure
    #
    void 19 years ago
    Mwhahahahaaa! Ville you have well and truely been proven wrong. We have 7 people planning on submitting a game. I think I'll take this moment to enjoy this minor victory.... ....... Anywho here are the people planning on making games (unless something has changed).

Amarth
    Doogsy
    void
    NeoGangster
    Casanova
    Grim Reaper
    Crazy

and maybe a webbased game from Thaimodz?

For those of you who don't know why Ville has been proven wrong it's because he felt that only one or two people would join the compitition and didn't really think it should go ahead.

"Crazy" said:
    id better prepare myself, im getting Flash MX 2004 Pro tomorrow... anyone got a good (2d) idea?

an adventure game where you're Pai Mai (all you really need to know is that he killed like 50 shaolin monks http://www.poplyrics.net/waiguo/soundtrack/killbill/009.htm ) from Kill Bill 2.
    #
    Forum » Amateur Game Making Comp.
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: