Register
Email: Password:
Forum » WAZZAL II: The Final Dawn - final Version 6 released!
  • « previous
  • » next
  • WAZZAL II: The Final Dawn - final Version 6 released!

ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    No, its more complicated than that. I want the 'shield' bar to work as an armor bar, so when it is on '0' it blocks o points of the enemies attack, but when it is on '20' it blocks 20 attack points. So the higher your shields, the less damage enemy weapons do to your hull.
    #
    Casanova 19 years ago
    Interesting, I am trying to something similar to that. In my case it would be some sort of overshield that absorbs any damage taken until the shield is depleted. The way I was going to do it is by having separate health and shield bars, with standard weapons damaging the shields. If the shield goes is depleted and goes under zero then it is added to the health bar and then reset to 0.
    #
    roburky 19 years ago
    One answer is to increase the values of all your health and damage so that you're never dealing with numbers less than '1'. The armour's quirks will never bother you, then.

Alternatively, there is effect 28, which could be used to make something using normal bars.

28=bar parameter1 increased by bar parameter2 * parameter3

The problem is that is multiplies instead of dividing, so it's difficult to use it to do more damage the lowe another bar is.

So what you could do is put your shield bar in reverse. The higher your shield bar, the more shield damage they've taken. You might have to call it something else, like 'Shield Overload', or something.

When an enemy laser hits you, it adds a specified amount to the Shield Overload bar, and takes away an amount from your Health bar equal to your Shield Overload bar multiplied by a number.
    #
    roburky 19 years ago
    Anyway, I miss fiddling with Notrium, so I had a tinker with the beta of Wazzal II, in order to show you what I meant when I thought ships sound be smaller and slower. Click here. The effect of a larger viewing area equals better dogfights, basically.

You'll need the 0.1b installed first, just unzip this into the Notrium/data folder, and it'll overwrite the beta.

Feel free to disregard it, if you like, Zex. I just wanted to illustrate my suggestion.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Hmm, I like this! I've made the ships slightly bigger, and fixed up the weapons, and also made all the ships a little faster, becasue I want the combat to be fast-paced. But other than that, thanks Roburky!
    #
    roburky 19 years ago
    I had also experimented a lot with the movement of the player ship, trying to introduce a minimum speed. Your method worked a lot better than anything I tried, though.
    #
    ville 19 years ago
    "ZeXLR8er!!" said:
    You might actually consider making all the enemy ships AI forced on. If you only have something like a dozen enemies in one map, it wouldn't slow it down much.
    I think I must be missing something obvious, but how would i go about doing that?

The newer versions have a special creature specialty that allows you to force their AI to be calculated regardless of the number of creatures. In creatures.dat: "3=force this creature's AI to be calculated always"
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Yep, you're right, my files still have the old 1.3 notation. Thanks Ville!
    #
    Murska 19 years ago
    If it is possible, when you start a fight, you get to a different "Battle arena" because now you can flee too easily and get something like 99999 enemies attacking you behind your back when you flee... it would DEFINETLY lag.
    #
    michael 19 years ago
    that was how it worked in wazzal.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Hmm, I'll think about it. It might actually be possible.
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    NNoooo.. Keep the battle arena thing out, please!! At least make it so that you are still able to fly pretty far, so you can use some strategies.
    #
    blitzsolo 19 years ago
    I just got a shield effect that you discribed. If you get hit, it reduces armor by like 3, and if armor is less than 3 it passes through with no harm to the shields.
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    I thought that the overshield idea would be better, too. Because the overshield technique is how it works in most games, and it's good. Just have a shield bar that takes damage before the health bar. Then you could have different power shield systems, and even weapons that bypass shields (like projectile weapons).

Or what if you had the energy bar be depleted when you take damage, with the slight regen being applied to the energy bar? After all, ships reactors must create enough power to charge the batteries or spaceflight would be unrealistic.

You know what? We could combine both ideas and have the Shield bar restore itself with energy from the energy bar, which is slowly being replenished from the Reactor Power bar which can be upgraded by buying a better reactor. Some reactors have more excess power than others, and some have higher maximums! Just like shield systems!

And for planets, you could have them be a one area map that contained a bunch of plot objects, one plot object being one building. You click the spaceport to launch back into space, you click the other buildings to do stuff like that. You could even capture enemy planets by defeating their automated weapons and security troops. This could be an awesome mod!
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    You know what? We could combine both ideas and have the Shield bar restore itself with energy from the energy bar, which is slowly being replenished from the Reactor Power bar which can be upgraded by buying a better reactor. Some reactors have more excess power than others, and some have higher maximums! Just like shield systems!
    That's the best idea I've heard yet, and Mageking you've just earned yourself a mention in the credits of my mod (along with a few others who have given me great ideas)!!!
    (Now there's an incentive for you guys to give me ideas! )

Now, I'm sure I could probably work it out if I thought long enough, but can someone help me out on how I would set up the mod so weapons first do damage to the overshield, but when it is depleted do damge to the health bar?
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    My best guess on how to set it up would be with running scripts. Basically just have the weapon call a couple of scripts that are conditional. This way you've got it checking several things through one weapon. So first you'd have a script for shields not being empty which would than damage the shields by x amount. Than you'd have a second script with the condition that the shield is depleted, so now it depletes the health instead.

You actually call both scripts and it's important the condition option is set to yes, but since both cannot be true, only one of them will be run. As with most of my ideas they're mainly theory and I don't go test them. So with that in mind I hope this solves your problem.
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    "ZeXLR8er!!" said:
    That's the best idea I've heard yet, and Mageking you've just earned yourself a mention in the credits of my mod (along with a few others who have given me great ideas)

It's just my pride has taken charge over my mind: *cutest voice* Could there be a tiny wobbly bobbly sobbly chance I am in the credits too ops: ops: ???
    #
    HarmlessHermit 19 years ago
    I think the shield system should not be too complicated or the player will be too distracted by thinking about what his shields are and what damage it will let through to his armor. The shields should be a quick-glance thing that immediately tells you how much danger you are in. You can make weapons that are more effective against shields but all I'm saying is to keep it simple.
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    One shield and health bar is pretty simple actually. That's how all the star trek type games are done. First you degrade the shields than you damage the actual hull of the ship. Now if he wanted to get complicated he could have health bars for things like the engine and weapons, or even the steering. So those could degrade as you took damage. Making repairs to the ship something one would have to consider. This wouldn't be anything new either, it's been done, and done well.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Idiota:
    (along with a few others who have given me great ideas)
    You're on the credits, don't stress.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    "Quanrian" said:
    My best guess on how to set it up would be with running scripts. Basically just have the weapon call a couple of scripts that are conditional. This way you've got it checking several things through one weapon. So first you'd have a script for shields not being empty which would than damage the shields by x amount. Than you'd have a second script with the condition that the shield is depleted, so now it depletes the health instead.

You actually call both scripts and it's important the condition option is set to yes, but since both cannot be true, only one of them will be run. As with most of my ideas they're mainly theory and I don't go test them. So with that in mind I hope this solves your problem.
    So, what, I would call the script through the "hit" block of the weapon?
    #
    Quanrian 19 years ago
    Yep, because it's happening to the player and scripts effect the player. Now if you wanted the same thing done to a creature that wasn't the player it'd be a bit more complicated and less accurate more than likely. I can't think of any reasons why it can't work. I actually set up two conflicting script sets. How did I work around it ? Well I had each beginning script in a set disable the other scripts, while enabling the scripts that went to it's script if it's initial condition provided true. Only one of them could be true, so I had no conflict since the conflicting scripts were disabled. Scripts are more than likely where the majority of your code should go. It's where you have the most control over things, at least having to do with the player.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Great, thanks Quanrian, I'll try it out and post if I've got any problems.
    #
    gold kiros 19 years ago
    Wheres the hyperspace! No ship game is complete without it. Instead of gates or wormhole you yourself open a rift with a ship(must be frigate, capital, super capital) smaller ships(corvettes, fighters) must dock with a carrier or frigate. Now abouyt the previously mentioned ships.

Divide the ships into these categories: fighters(light cheap not too durable but fast) Corvette(more armor, shield but less speed and attk. Frigate(slower, more armor, shiled and attack. Capital*Carriers can hold the corvettes and fighters. Any other ships u consider capital. Then the ultra capital ship huge energy consumption but powerful weapons slow and vurnerable from multiple ships.
    #
    Anonymous1157 19 years ago
    I think you should sort out that scramble, it gets less understandable as it goes... Set it up as a list.

Anyways, whatever he did say sounds good. You should add ship categories... After he makes it understandable.
    #
    michael 19 years ago
    "ZeXLR8er!!" said:
    That's the best idea I've heard yet, and Mageking you've just earned yourself a mention in the credits of my mod (along with a few others who have given me great ideas)!!!
    (Now there's an incentive for you guys to give me ideas! )

Now, I'm sure I could probably work it out if I thought long enough, but can someone help me out on how I would set up the mod so weapons first do damage to the overshield, but when it is depleted do damge to the health bar?
    hmmmm..... michael wonders how good his item idea was....
    #
    gold kiros 19 years ago
    What i meant to say was there should be hyperspace. No use of jump gates or wormholes but rifts, these rifts would be spaces of space that opens, that allow frigates to supercapital ships to pass through. Fighters and corvettes won't be able to because hey would be crushed by the hyperspace as well as too small for an engine powerful enough.

Now for the ship classes.

Fighters:small,manuverable, very quick, hard to shoot at but less armor and overall really cheap. not too much of a weapon.

Corvette:little more bigger, less maunverable, less speed, more armor and firepower. Cost more.

Frigates:MUCH more armor,slower, not too maunverable but great firing range a 180 degree angle. cost quite a lot

Capital: The same as frigates just more armor,slower more weapons and bigger range.

Supercapital: slowest, can shoot from quite a distance but slow and vunerable to groups of enemies.

Maybe you guys could add special kinds of capital ships like carriers, it can hold safely 25 fighters and 10 corvettes from damage.

Maybe fighters can be like:
    Bombers:slower but packs a punch
    Interceptors:faster half of bomber attk

and so on?

P.S got theses ideas from a game called Homeworld
    #
    Idiota 19 years ago
    I saw the rift idea at work in a game called Earth and Beyond. Works fine, great idea. About the bomber\interceptor idea. Giving interceptors half attack gives them no chance to any ship, making it useless. You could make it be very effective with bombers, to increase tactical value. This here all seems fine, but remember it isn't a RTS game, there still are lots of other things that require more attention.
    #
    ZeXLR8er 19 years ago
    Wow, well that makes a lot more sense. I agree, ship classes would be a good idea. Maybe I should make the player start in a small fighter and have a sort of mission to get across the galaxy to find the Wolf IV?
    #
    gold kiros 19 years ago
    Heres my idea for a bonus towards asteroids.
    You blow them up and you get unrefined ore.
    You will need to take it somewhere like a refinery that charges 10 credits per 100 ore refined.
    Then you can take it somewhere to have your refined ore turned into Ship Structures that can be used to build your own ship.

Here's a list of what it should be like.

Fighters:200 ship structures
    Corvettes: 500 ship structures
    Frigates:2000 ship structures
    Capital ships: 5000 structures
    Supercapital: 10,000 structures

Gotta be high amount of ship structures because it would too darn easy to make them.

Maybe a special bonus? Example:It has +20 more shields, 10 hull.
    #
    Grim Reaper 19 years ago
    What if there would be different kinds of recourses that came from an asteroid when you blew them up, and you could either:
    - do as gold kiros sayd
    OR
    - sell them to get credits

and with credits you could buy new ships with nothing special on them, upgrades to the ships you own etc.

How 'bout it?
    #
    gold kiros 19 years ago
    Another idea.
    We you land on the planet and IF it is a BIG map you can use veichles.
    Maybe that hoverbike from Notrium. Heck even the Ville corp shuttle! The shuttle would be good armor goes over enemies and such but HUGE ether consumtion.
    Maybe 30 ether per 10 seconds.
    These would be "Peace" veichles, you could use them to dodge the city thugs and animals.

Now "War" Veichles.
    Don't take a genius what kind of to use. Jeeps with Railguns, Tanks with automated turrets and FLAMETHROWER!
    So do you think its good?
    #
    MageKing17 19 years ago
    "gold kiros" said:
    P.S got theses ideas from a game called Homeworld
    1) I haven't played the original Homeworld, but I have Homeworld 2 and I'm pretty sure they should be at least similar. That being said...

2) Intercepters = 1/2 bomber attack? No.

Bombers = Lots of attack but only effective against capital ships due to slow fire rate.

Intercepters = Low attack but highly effective against other fighters due to rapid-fire weaponry (a.k.a. the current ship for the mod)

If we included both these ship classes in the mod, it could get pretty snazzy...

@ZeXLR8er - I get that a lot.
    #
    Grim Reaper 19 years ago
    "ZeXLR8er!!" said:
    Maybe I should make the player start in a small fighter and have a sort of mission to get across the galaxy to find the Wolf IV?

Why don't ya make the player earn his position at the wolf iv, and once s/he has earned it, you jump to the events after wazzal?
    #
    gold kiros 19 years ago
    Mage king wrote:
    2) I haven't played the original Homeworld, but I have Homeworld 2 and I'm pretty sure they should be at least similar.

Homeworld is about you trying to reach HIgarra Your Homeworld.
    You meet the bentusi, Fight your way through a sphere of IOn frigates and kill the Taiddan\Kushan mothership.

Well i got off topic. But here is an idea of why and How to reclaim wolf VI.

Your old friend Whoever mi. B is part of Ville Corp and some mutineers of your old ship Wolf VI have banded with him to destroy since you know too much."From the planet you escaped,Ville Corp, and other thingd you come up with.

However 5 men have searched you out to protect you (you get a fighter for protection) They won't tell you why but say you MUST reach Wolf VI first. T

Here is the how.
    You get "tractored" in.
    They can be 5 level "Lutineant" soldiers and the rest of the mutineers are 10 level "Sergeants"
    are 10 level "trainee". You kill them and reclaim Wolf VI
    OR it can just be 5 fighters or bombers versus WOLF VI

Here is how the story goes on...
    They are from some organization and Only your ship has an Id from the system that Sun blew up. And enter some secret fortress.

The rest is up to you ZEX.
    #
    Forum » WAZZAL II: The Final Dawn - final Version 6 released!
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: