Register
Email: Password:
Forum » Got a question about Notrium? Ask it here!
  • « previous
  • » next
  • Got a question about Notrium? Ask it here!

MageKing17 16 years ago
    Feel free to participate in the community, however. If you haven't already, try some of the mods for Notrium. Once you're sick of Notrium (it happens ), feel free to talk about... pretty much anything. Perhaps take a look at the N3D project, and wait anxiously to see what happens with Cormoon.
    #
    jockmo42 16 years ago
    Thanks! I'm not very educated in the whole liscences and trademarks and everything, so I don't have much of a clue as to why freeware games don't usually have the source engine accessible to the public for modification. Is it just a headache to do, or is there some reason that I am not seeing?

Don't think you've gotten rid of me, I'll be around.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    "jockmo42" said:
    Thanks! I'm not very educated in the whole liscences and trademarks and everything, so I don't have much of a clue as to why freeware games don't usually have the source engine accessible to the public for modification. Is it just a headache to do, or is there some reason that I am not seeing?
    Couple of reasons. Here, it's because Ville used a custom version of the Grim 2D engine which seems to have been made specially for himself. I suppose Ville had some agreement about not giving out the code to that library, and without the code to the library, the game would be unbuildable and the sources essentially worthless [1].

Other reasons include:
    *possibilities for cheating, especially in multiplayer games
    *not wanting others to create derived works, feeling they'd essentially use your hard work for their own purposes
    *just not caring about it or not feeling like it could help anyone

[1] This is perhaps not fully true. Given documentation of the library and sources of the game, one could reverse-engineer the library code or replace the function calls with something equivalent from another library. But this is not always to the liking of the original library writers.

Don't think you've gotten rid of me, I'll be around.
    Hey, be welcome.
    #
    ville 16 years ago
    It's not a promise, but you may be able to expect a multiplayer option in Notrium 2. More than likely there will first be a single player version, and afterwards a multiplayer will be developed for cooperative play.
    #
    jockmo42 16 years ago
    Notrium 2!

Oh, good God. Is that in developement?
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    "jockmo42" said:
    Notrium 2!

Oh, good God. Is that in developement?
    Nope. All the dev-ing time is reserved for Cormoon. However, Notrium 2 has been planned for quite some time, 'tleast according to what Ville has been sayin' in these forumses.
    #
    jockmo42 16 years ago
    Aww. Well whatever, like I said, I won't hold my breath. Cormoon is supposed to be pretty kickin' rad anyway.

Anything on the planned features if Ville makes a Notrium 2?
    #
    Grim Reaper 16 years ago
    "jockmo42" said:
    Anything on the planned features if Ville makes a Notrium 2?
    WHEN he makes Notrium 2.

And if you look at his post right above yours, you can see that there MIGHT be multiplayer in Notrium 2.
    #
    Anonymous1157 16 years ago
    It's still WAY too early to assume it'll have it, though. Hell, actual development won't start for a few years, at which point Cormoon will be mostly forgotten as we wait for Notrium 2, just like what happened when Cormoon was announced.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    With the difference that Cormoon will be a multiplayer game and probably will offer quite some value and replayability.
    #
    I had a feeling I didn't write clearly enough. What are you talking about?
    #
    jockmo42 16 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:

I think he means that since Cormoon has the Multi-Player capability, it will be much more replayable than Notrium, hence, harder to forget in the shadow of a new game.
    #
    "jockmo42" said:
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    I think he means that since Cormoon has the Multi-Player capability, it will be much more replayable than Notrium, hence, harder to forget in the shadow of a new game.
    Yes and no. It WILL have more replayability, true, but Notrium with multiplayer features has been requested by random people since forever. ANYONE would drop Cormoon in awe of what was to come.

Unfortunately, that'll STILL take a few more years, whether I'm right or not.
    #
    Amarth 16 years ago
    "Anonymous1157" said:
    It WILL have more replayability, true, but Notrium with multiplayer features has been requested by random people since forever. ANYONE would drop Cormoon in awe of what was to come.
    I wouldn't make such claims too early. Let's see what happens.
    #
    "Amarth" said:
    I wouldn't make such claims too early. Let's see what happens.
    That was my point, except you had trouble understanding it so...

Oh, I give up.
    #
    Narvius 16 years ago
    It's more than just impossible to get to the liquid portal with Werivar, playing an psionic on Medium. I got the perfect-pod-fly-bonus, so I have 2 of all basic tokens, but that doensn't really helped me.

I tried it with dash + active motion - due to high temperature, I lost life very quickly, then ran out of energy and got shot by three turrets finally. The I-carefully-destroy-everything-tactic did not help, too.
    Anyone got an idea how to get the first portal? Without liquid playing a psionic makes no sense ><
    #
    haunter 16 years ago
    I'v been wondering in that too...But every single game (every time u start a game) the 1st portal is moving to another spot of the map...I need help too with other words.

EDIT:By the way...Cheater what's the perfect-pod-fly-bonus ???
    #
    Narvius 16 years ago
    It's when you don't get hit by any missile while flying with the pod (thus having full health when approaching the planet). This bonus applies only if you don't play on easy. It varies from race to race.
    #
    harwe 16 years ago
    he means getting to the planet in escape pod witout getting hit
    #
    haunter 16 years ago
    Ok...So i have another question.Is it in any mod or default or only werivan?
    #
    Narvius 16 years ago
    Both, Vanilla and Werivar.
    #
    Narvius 16 years ago
    Now, I somehow got the liquid token. Somehow = Save, Kamikaze-Scouting (locating the well), Load, Eat, Dash to Well with preprared Focus. This requires two tokens of each type, since you can't have both, Focus and Dash, at the same time with only three tokens.
    #
    harwe 16 years ago
    eh? oh its u, the one who made the list.....[/OT]

since psionic tokens takes 1s to reassemble, you could have just dashed there, open inv screen, disassemble quickly reassemble and use
    #
    Narvius 16 years ago
    Yes, but I've been hunted by two laser marines and one gun marine. Except that a (m) turret stood near the well... so, I'd died if I stood there more than milisecond. I have no idea how I made it out of there when i had the token already... and btw, for anyone who attempts the liquid dreamscape: Go to Eden first and take the 7 fabricated meals. You'll starve during the long, boring (but easy, with the right tactics) boss fight (I don't know if the meals are there in Vanilla)
    #
    haunter 16 years ago
    "Cheater" said:
    Yes, but I've been hunted by two laser marines and one gun marine. Except that a (m) turret stood near the well... so, I'd died if I stood there more than milisecond. I have no idea how I made it out of there when i had the token already... and btw, for anyone who attempts the liquid dreamscape: Go to Eden first and take the 7 fabricated meals. You'll starve during the long, boring (but easy, with the right tactics) boss fight (I don't know if the meals are there in Vanilla)
    I don't think they are
    #
    Narvius 16 years ago
    Too bad =S
    But aren't most people playing with Werivar anyways?
    #
    haunter 16 years ago
    Yea cause it's a new char...lol let's just don't get off-topic
    #
    harwe 16 years ago
    "haunter" said:
    Yea cause it's a new char...lol let's just don't get off-topic
    thats not off-topic... its a question lol
    #
    Coincidentally, that question has been asked before. Yes, anyone who plays Notrium inevitably ends up playing the Werivar expansion. After a while, it gets to the point where you can't easily switch back due to the changes.

(On an unrelated note, if the Werivar download link breaks, click on the planet in my signature)
    #
    Narvius 16 years ago
    After a while, it gets to the point where you can't easily switch back due to the changes.
    The Werivar Mod is a drug! ^^
    #
    haunter 16 years ago
    You can say that again
    #
    Rizzen325 16 years ago
    I was wondering, what is the sound file "Voices.wav" in the notrium sound folder for?
    #
    Narvius 16 years ago
    Play as Psionic, you'll see...
    #
    spoonmyfozan 16 years ago
    I am very new to notrium, I have beaten the game(although it looks as if you people don't really aim to do that ).
    Anyways, I have downloaded the varebones mod, but i icant get it to run!
    please help me, I really don't know what to do.
    #
    ville 16 years ago
    All you'll need to do is to unzip it so that the barebones directory goes right under the notrium/data directory. Then you'll see the barebones mod as selectable in the new game dialog.
    #
    Forum » Got a question about Notrium? Ask it here!
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: