Email: Password:
Forum » The new gaming thread
  • « previous
  • » next
  • The new gaming thread

MageKing17 14 years ago
    "Cheater" said:
    There's a reason I haven't played it, then =D
    What, you're afraid of a little horror mixed with your games?

I take it you never played System Shock 2, then.
    #
    Pete 14 years ago
    "MageKing17" said:
    I take it you never played System Shock 2, then.

*evil laugh*
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    Yeah, I'm extremely weak-nerved. Practically every halfway good* horror almost scares me to death. Hell, there's even a roguelike [actually, a ToME module] that scares me with only sound effects.

* This excludes gore horror stuff, of course. That's simply gross, not horror.
    #
    MageKing17 14 years ago
    "Cheater" said:
    Yeah, I'm extremely weak-nerved. Practically every halfway good* horror almost scares me to death. Hell, there's even a roguelike [actually, a ToME module] that scares me with only sound effects.

* This excludes gore horror stuff, of course. That's simply gross, not horror.
    I used to be like that. I remember trying to play one game, only to hide behind a corner, not wanting to come out. Eventually, I was able to make the mental separation between myself and the character I was controlling, and it all went away.

And System Shock 2 is one of the best games ever made ever. Period.
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    "Cheater" said:
    Hell, there's even a roguelike [actually, a ToME module] that scares me with only sound effects.
    I've been scared shitless by NetHack. I mean, you're hurrying up the stairs for the ascension run, bump into 2 Rodneys, a titan and a few minotaurs, barely manage to the stairs, only to be pushed back by a mysterious force to a few levels lower so you have to do that stuff again. I don't think any other game ever pushed the adrenaline in my body like NetHack did. Then again, that might a different sort of horror.

I'm usually not that scared from games, but SS2 managed to be pretty freaking crazy. And I think it's mostly because you have to conserve ammo. I managed to do it pretty well in the start, because the hybrids, monkeys and stuff are no big deal with the wrench, but once the midwives appeared I was telling myself "to hell with ammo conservations, these things will die NOW". And then the ninjas came... That's where Bioshock went wrong IMO: while yes, the first big daddy fight was pretty tight (for me at least), the rest of the game was a piece of cake with all the EVE and ammo lying around.
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    Any of you regulars (or less so) play Left 4 Dead? I'm hesitant on throwing money at something which seems nice without first having a try at it (the game has no demo of any sort and I don't know anyone who has it), so I'd appreciate it if you could give your opinion on whether or not it's worth the ~30€.
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    Any of you regulars (or less so) play Left 4 Dead? I'm hesitant on throwing money at something which seems nice without first having a try at it (the game has no demo of any sort and I don't know anyone who has it), so I'd appreciate it if you could give your opinion on whether or not it's worth the ~30€.
    I have. I find it a shitload of fun to play. Kinda hard to say how much you'll love it, there's not really another game like it to compare it with. You need a bunch people you know to play the game with though, the AI makes it kind of lame. Also, you need to be able to cope with losing in silly ways - in one game, we lost because someone attracted a load of zombies,started shooting around and threw a molotov at the exact wrong time to the exact wrong place. We went from perfect health to dead in about a minute time.

Yeah, it's one of those games where you can tell stories about for hours. I love it, but I can understand why some people wouldn't like it. Read some reviews, subtract the technical arguments (I think they mostly fixed the lobby system to something usable now and they'll probably keep working on it), decide for yourself.
    #
    Zanfib 14 years ago
    "Idiota" said:
    That's a good thing, Zanfib. Fallout 3 < Fallout (2)

I realize that. However, Obsidian has a habit of not properly finishing their games. As well as other poor design choices.

Of course I expect it will still be better then Fallout Capitol Wasteland, but that isn't exactly hard now is it?
    #
    Pete 14 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:

Well, I do. Its great fun, and it was definitely worth the money, but for some reason I didnt play it at all for a month now.
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    I played the Demo (the one before the release) and enjoyed it.
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    It's freaky free friday tomorrow! Play Left 4 Dead for free!
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://store.steampowered.com/news/2458/">http://store.steampowered.com/news/2458/</a><!-- m -->

I finished preloading it. We could actually build up a group of 4. Who's with me?
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    I'm willing to play for a bit, I suggest we find each other in the chatroom. I'm not sure why Valve uses GMT instead of their usual American stuff, but it doesn't really matter. Just be aware it already starts (I think) in 4 hours.

EDIT: On second thought, I seem to have forgotten my mouse. I hope I can find one around the house, because I don't want to play with a touchpad, really...
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    Eye ams waiting in ze 'room.

Come on up and play ze game, people!
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    Eye ams waiting in ze 'room.

Come on up and play ze game, people!
    We actually didn't tell our steam names, did we? Mine's E_net4.

I've been playing already. Finished the first 2 campaigns.
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    Ah yes, steamy names. Mine's "John Grassi" (without the quotations, of course).

However, I still think game startings are better coordinated in ze IRC channel (at least for the getting everyone to play stuff).
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    Actually, it's Grimsy, but you show up as John Grassi.
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    "Grim Reaper" said:
    Actually, it's Grimsy, but you show up as John Grassi.
    That'd be because Steam lets you have separate login name and username thingies.
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    About Stalin vs Martians... The movies and the music (ALL HAIL STALINATOR!) are better than the game.

About L4D: It's bloody fun.
    EDIT: also, it's still free for another while!
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    L4D is no longer free to play, but we enjoyed it for the time being. "Ammo here!"

Here's what happened by the end of our campaign.
    Don't say it's my fault! Consider saving me next time!

...wait, next time?
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    As I suppose we all know already, 3D Realms closed down and thus Duke Nukem Forever is, well, probably gone forever. Wanted to post this gameplay movie (boobie warning).
    #
    NeoGangster 14 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    ...Duke Nukem Forever is, well, probably gone forever...
    I don't think so, someone will buy the developer team, so they can profit from the overhype
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    I've got to play Braid lately.

This is. The. Most. Epic. Mindfuck. Ever.
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    I just played the demo of Crayon Physics Deluxe on Steam. It's an amusing game, as you can scribble anything you want in the paper and it will come to life as a physics mesh. Some puzzles are very easy, but some of them might make you scratch your heads.
    You won't regret playing the demo. There's even a free editor.
    #
    Idiota 14 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    As I suppose we all know already, 3D Realms closed down and thus Duke Nukem Forever is, well, probably gone forever. Wanted to post this gameplay movie (boobie warning).

It sounds and looks like a lot of epic mutant ass-kicking.

/me wants
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    Eversion, not sure why I missed it earlier. This is really cool.

I'll just quote the warning from the readme and do without further spoilers: "not intended for children or those of a nervous disposition". And that is rather true.
    #
    Dorten 14 years ago
    Nifty thing!
    I got stuck at level 5,though.
    I'm trying it at work -> no sound. Am I correct, when I assume the music adds to atmosphere a lot?
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    "Dorten" said:
    I'm trying it at work -> no sound. Am I correct, when I assume the music adds to atmosphere a lot?
    Yep. There are also a few sound effects. but nothing spectacular, more the "you'll learn to hate hearing that again" kind. Play again when you're alone in a dark room, at night, with full volume - that's the real way to play.
    #
    E_net4 14 years ago
    For those who don't read the Team Fortress blog, Gang Garrison is some sort of freeware remake of Team Fortress 2 in 2D 8-bit quality. It's worth at least trying.
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    "E_net4" said:
    For those who don't read the Team Fortress blog, Gang Garrison is some sort of freeware remake of Team Fortress 2 in 2D 8-bit quality. It's worth at least trying.
    It's a freeware fan-made DEMAKE, to be exact
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    Bethesda buys iD software. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=218209&site=cvg">http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... 9&site=cvg</a><!-- m -->

Wonder what will come out of that...
    #
    Grim Reaper 14 years ago
    "Amarth" said:
    Bethesda buys iD software. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=218209&site=cvg">http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... 9&site=cvg</a><!-- m -->

Wonder what will come out of that...
    Stroggs and/or demons shouting "STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!" whilst charging at you?
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    And finding doors you can't open because the area beyond is only available in an overpriced plugin...
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    Not sure I mentioned this before, I might have. However, there's definitely a part news.

"Ben there, Dan that" is an absolutely brilliant old-school adventure game. I don't really like to promote free AGS games because they usually suck monkeyballs (exceptions like Yahtzee's or Lively Ivy's are very rare) but this easily comes into the reach of classics like Monkey Island and Sam & Max. It's FREE and truly worth your time if you like the Lucasart classics. Features alien abduction, game-developing dinosaurs, cow portals, superhero museums and more madness. Grab it on <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zombie-cow.com/?page_id=17">http://www.zombie-cow.com/?page_id=17</a><!-- m -->

HOWEVER, there is a sequel! I'm currently partly in it and it's even more brilliant, humorous, fun and less cheap. Yeah, less cheap because it's 3 GBP which is basically nothing. This game is really, really worth both your time *and* your money. I think it's about the most hilarious game I ever played and that includes Monkey Island (old, new not yet), Sam&Max (old and new), Day of the Tenctacle and I don't know what else you find funny but this is better. About every nonsensical combination of actions, items and NPC's has dialogue (a cut-off arm on a prehistoric parrot? Dan on himself? Used condoms with a skeleton? Talk to window blinds?). This one includes loads of time travel (with some cute paradoxes), Nazi dinosaurs, a sex education clown and cavemen with their own disco. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zombie-cow.com/?page_id=559">http://www.zombie-cow.com/?page_id=559</a><!-- m -->
    #
    Narvius 14 years ago
    By the way, this guy is awesome.

[Edit]
    Today, I've totally got myself to play Eversion.

I do not envy the guy who made this.
    #
    Amarth 14 years ago
    I'm currently spending way too much time on Legerdemain. The authors describe it as a cross between roguelike and interactive fiction. To me that comes down to a hack-and-slash with some text and some puzzles. And lots of exploration. Search through every corner, unlock every door, look behind every tree. You don't know where clues to advance the storyline (or just interesting bits of text, or good equipment) might be hidden.

When you are killed the game allows you to continue from an earlier save in an inn. While at first this might seem arbitrary and lame (why not save everywhere? or the other extreme, why not permadeath?), it's actually rather interesting. The world is huge (I'm currently playing for I guess 15 hours and I'm really not far yet ingame), so you will want to save your progress. On the other hand, not having the option to save at any time brings some of the tension of a roguelike in it: should I push on, knowing that I'll lose all progress if I die? Or should I return to save and come back rested and restocked? There is a part of learning by dying in there too, especially in the early game. It'll probably take a few tries to even reach an inn.

And finally, there is a ridiculous low amount of spoilers on the internet about this game. You really are forced to discover it all yourself. While sometimes frustrating, just keep on searching in all the little nooks and you'll make progress. It's a bit of an odd game really, hard to classify, but I like it.
    #
    Forum » The new gaming thread
  • « previous
  • » next

Your email:
    Your name: